• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for an accurate compact bolt gun in .308

fnbrowning

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
St. Louis Missouri
I'm coming from a somewhat heavy .308 gas gun, getting a little older, so I'm looking to cut weight and overall size. I'm heavily invested in .308 reloading equipment, so I'm not looking for a caliber change.

Obviously, the Tikka T3x CTR seems like the ideal rifle. sub-MOA accuracy in most tests, 7.4pd for the bare rifle, 20" barrel is a nice length. I'm not a fan of barrels shorter than 20" for .308.

For due diligence, I've been looking around for other rifles in the Tikka weight/performance class, and just not finding them. There are precision rifles galore, but most are 10# and heavier, with 22" to 26" barrels. So just to be sure I'm not missing a contender, I'm asking here for other possible rifle systems in the same sub-10pd range. I would be comfortable up to $3000 dollars if the other rifle was proven to out shoot the Tikka system.

I have a 20” Tikka CTR and it’s an absolute shooter. I’ve found aftermarket barrels disappointing in other platforms because of it. It’s a somewhat heavy gun for what it is, fantastic trigger, smooth bolt, a mediocre stock, limited magazines, and overall good fit and finish. I love my Tikkas that have been swapped into Manners stocks and used aftermarket mags.

If you want a lightweight gun I’d look at the new Howa Superlight, or a Tikka Lite/Superlite. All tikkas shoot the same, the CTR basically just changes the barrel to a thicker profile, adds dry lube Teflon finishing on the bolt, and a factory installed rail.

EuroOptic has a Sako s20 in .308 marked down to $1300.

But I've never heard anyone complain about their Tikka.

Reactions: Spear87
Tikka CTR is a good bet

You could possibly build one too if an Origin action and a Proof Carbon barrel in a light chassis/stock if you wanted to go down that route

Reactions: Savageman2506
Look at the Kimber Hunter/Mountain series rifles, they come in at 5.9/4.13 pounds. Also, my buddy has a 22-inch stainless one in 308 and loves it.

Reactions: thedude824
I'm coming from a somewhat heavy .308 gas gun, getting a little older, so I'm looking to cut weight and overall size. I'm heavily invested in .308 reloading equipment, so I'm not looking for a caliber change.

Obviously, the Tikka T3x CTR seems like the ideal rifle. sub-MOA accuracy in most tests, 7.4pd for the bare rifle, 20" barrel is a nice length. I'm not a fan of barrels shorter than 20" for .308.

For due diligence, I've been looking around for other rifles in the Tikka weight/performance class, and just not finding them. There are precision rifles galore, but most are 10# and heavier, with 22" to 26" barrels. So just to be sure I'm not missing a contender, I'm asking here for other possible rifle systems in the same sub-10pd range. I would be comfortable up to $3000 dollars if the other rifle was proven to out shoot the Tikka system.Mine shoots really good...

Mine shoots really well.

This was the first group out of it with some random handloads from my other .308.

IMG_7831.jpeg
Ballistic-X-Export-2023-04-30 15:54:56.390625.jpg

Howa Superlite

I did an Origin build that I just put together. 7 lb 5 oz bare rifle, 9 lb 13 oz with optic, rings and magazine and a loaded 5 round magazine.

Got a few minutes to go out and shoot it recently. first group (and only one so far) with factory ammo was .496". Cant complain.

Solus action and a custom barrel installed and headspaced by a professional. Choose your caliber, barrel length, contour, etc... It's the cheapest custom option I've seen. And the Solus is a solid action, I have one.

Put a 700 clone TriggerTech Special in it (no bolt release), and drop it in a Rem 700 short-action chassis or stock of your choice, and call it a day. It will be WAY better than any factory mass-produced option out there.

The lightest I would recommend for 5-10 shot strings (eg matches, etc) is CTR (20mm / .79in). Tikkas also come in a "D18" (18mm/.710) which is a possibly viable alternative if you must go lighter. There is more meat left near the chamber, and relying on flutes and end-taper to keep the swing weight low. If you compare side by side vs light or x-light in the store you can see what I'm talking about.

What I’m seriously considering for next year.

I recently sent my last 3 Tikkas down the road and I’m happy they’re gone. For the $$ they’re not bad rifles but they’re far from perfect, have limitations for aftermarket acc’s, and have about the worst CS in the industry if you have a problem.

For $3K I’d buy an Origin, a Proof CF prefit, a Triggertech, and whatever chassis you like that the balance gets you. For sub $400 it’s hard to go wrong with a KRG Bravo but you should have $1100 or so to play with after the cost of the action, barrel, and trigger.

Target shooting and some limited competition. I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of chassis rifles. They seem so damn front heavy. I also like the Tikka CTR 10rd magazine.
Ok. For target and best precision, the barrel is the key component. you want to put weight in the barrel and for best results you want a quality cut-rifled barrel like Bartlein. The action is also important and there are many top quality ones out there. If you will be doing something like PRS, then weight will be a limiting factor for mobility. It’s a trade off

It sounds like precison is near top of your list and a light-weight sporter barrel rifle won’t cut it.

You could take a look at the Seekins Pro Hunter 2. If you are careful on scope selection, you can end up with a hunting rifle at 9 pounds including five .308s in the magazine. I gave myself one as a retirement gift in .308 Win. and it shoots pretty good. I like my Impact Precision rifles in 6
.5 Creedmoor better, but they are much heavier rifles and have much better glass. I'd go action of choice and prefit barrel.

Target shooting and some limited competition. I have to admit that I'm not a huge fan of chassis rifles. They seem so damn front heavy. I also like the Tikka CTR 10rd magazine.
If you have a Tikka CTR already, I would just put in a KRG Bravo chassis that weighs in at 2.9 pounds. A comp shooter named Phillip Velayo did an 8 part video set on how he took a stock CTR and made it into an NRL-PRS rifle that is worth watching.

There is allot of aftermarket support for the Tikka rifles now since they have become popular now, like Cabon fiber prefit barrels.

If you love everything about a CTR, get that.

But with a $3k budget, I’d build one. Get a better stock/chassis that fits you better. Also, you’ll have a higher probability of a good shooter with a quality barrel chambered by a good smith. You can dial in the weight/balance you want if you build.

Reactions: Spear87
tempImageGYMGuc.jpg

I had a similar mission for a new 308. I picked up this stainless Tikka CTR in 308 with a 20" barrel as a lighter alternative to my TRG 22. It sits in a McMillan Carbon A3 stock and shoots just as well as my TRG in a substantially lighter package. The mirage does start to kick up sooner, after about 5 rounds. It makes a great hybrid hunter setup as pictured.

Reactions: fnbrowning
I just looked at the 20" 2020 redline in .308 It is pretty sweet rig. I am torn between the 2020 redline with 20" barrel in .308 Win and the Bergara Ridge Carbon Wilderness in .308 Win. Both weigh the same. The Redline is more money. The radial muzzle breaks would be replaced with an Ultradyne Apollo LR break though. The Redline, like the waypoint, has a really comfortable cheek weld. I do not know what the cheek weld on the Bergara is like though. Tikka is Tikka, but I want something different.

Last edited:
Month and a half old thread, I wonder if the OP made a purchase? With a $3000 budget I would get a CDG or one of the titanium actions, a carbon barrel, and AG Composite stock and call it a day.

Month and a half old thread, I wonder if the OP made a purchase? With a $3000 budget I would get a CDG or one of the titanium actions, a carbon barrel, and AG Composite stock and call it a day.
@KYAggie

Currently suffering from "analysis paralysis." ;) I made a mistake in this thread by setting my budget too high, $3000 wasn't right for me, and also by not stating I didn't want chassis or mini-chassis rifles. I'm sticking with a 20" medium contour barrel in something like a M40 or M50 or police stock contour. That leaves me with the Tikka Super Varmint and the Remington SPS Tactical or similar.

Currently in consideration is a new Remington 700 Police LTR .308 Win. 20" threaded AND fluted barrel, 5R rifling, 1/10” with a black finish, factory Timney Elite Hunter Curved Trigger, and a fixed H-S Precision composite stock. The part number is R86673. $1290. That is more in my price range.

@KYAggie

Currently suffering from "analysis paralysis." ;) I made a mistake in this thread by setting my budget too high, $3000 wasn't right for me, and also by not stating I didn't want chassis or mini-chassis rifles. I'm sticking with a 20" medium contour barrel in something like a M40 or M50 or police stock contour. That leaves me with the Tikka Super Varmint and the Remington SPS Tactical or similar.

Currently in consideration is a new Remington 700 Police LTR .308 Win. 20" threaded AND fluted barrel, 5R rifling, 1/10” with a black finish, factory Timney Elite Hunter Curved Trigger, and a fixed H-S Precision composite stock. The part number is R86673. $1290. That is more in my price range.

Reactions: Savageman2506
@KYAggie

No experience with the "new" Remington's yet, but you'll see many people tell you to get a Tikka CTR or similar with a KRG Bravo chassis and call it a day. That should put you $1500 or less and be a solid rifle.

Reactions: ToKeepAndBear
@KYAggie

That Remington is solid! I had no idea they were now all shipping with Timney triggers. That's exponentially better than those ShitMark Pro triggers that go straight in the trashcan when I bought a new 700...

With all the upgrades, that 700 sounds pretty damn good. All you'd need at that point is bring it home, take it apart, clean it, wipe it all down, re-torque the action screws at 65 inch-pounds, and then throw on a 20MOA base, and a scope, and you're good to go.

That Remington is solid! I had no idea they were now all shipping with Timney triggers. That's exponentially better than those ShitMark Pro triggers that go straight in the trashcan when I bought a new 700...

With all the upgrades, that 700 sounds pretty damn good. All you'd need at that point is bring it home, take it apart, clean it, wipe it all down, re-torque the action screws at 65 inch-pounds, and then throw on a 20MOA base, and a scope, and you're good to go.
@FuhQ

To add to what you wrote, while I was searching out more info on the Remy Tactical variants, I can across this post on a reloading forum:

{From a podcast with Ken D’Arcy, the head honcho at RemArms.}

They scrapped the old steel previously used and went with a higher grade steel for receivers and barrels. More difficult to machine but higher quality receivers, bolts, and barrels. The barrels are hammer forged with 5r rifling, updated twist rates, and stress relieved. Chambers are now 100% CNC cut to within .0002”, no hand finishing the chambers any more. Bolt face to breech tolerances are kept to .0002” as well. Bolt lug to receiver tolerances are kept to .0003”. The thread tolerances for mating barrel to the receiver is greatly reduced as well but I don't recall the exact number. He said tolerances were such that bolts from one new production 700 can be interchanged with another rifle, and as long as they have the same bolt face diameter headspace would be correct. That’s quite a statement. The recoil lug is also machined to within .0002” of being perfectly flat. Fit and finish has been refined as well. Yes the tolerances are in tenths of a thousand. Not a typo.

The thing that impressed me most was one statement. Ken D’Arcy said
:
“It’s OK to build a budget rifle if that’s what your company does. Do it and do it well. We aren’t interested in making the model 700 a budget rifle. It’s an icon, quality and performance will match.“
I like that. I like that a lot. I hope he wasn’t blowing smoke in the podcasts. I’ll know soon enough.

@FuhQ

To add to what you wrote, while I was searching out more info on the Remy Tactical variants, I can across this post on a reloading forum:

{From a podcast with Ken D’Arcy, the head honcho at RemArms.}

They scrapped the old steel previously used and went with a higher grade steel for receivers and barrels. More difficult to machine but higher quality receivers, bolts, and barrels. The barrels are hammer forged with 5r rifling, updated twist rates, and stress relieved. Chambers are now 100% CNC cut to within .0002”, no hand finishing the chambers any more. Bolt face to breech tolerances are kept to .0002” as well. Bolt lug to receiver tolerances are kept to .0003”. The thread tolerances for mating barrel to the receiver is greatly reduced as well but I don't recall the exact number. He said tolerances were such that bolts from one new production 700 can be interchanged with another rifle, and as long as they have the same bolt face diameter headspace would be correct. That’s quite a statement. The recoil lug is also machined to within .0002” of being perfectly flat. Fit and finish has been refined as well. Yes the tolerances are in tenths of a thousand. Not a typo.

The thing that impressed me most was one statement. Ken D’Arcy said
:

I like that. I like that a lot. I hope he wasn’t blowing smoke in the podcasts. I’ll know soon enough.
that is very reassuring to hear. I agree. The 700 shouldn't be a budget gun.

I bought a used, stainless Tikka T3x in 308. Cut the barrel to 19" threaded it 5/8-24. Purchased a used CTR stock from here and installed the bottom metal on a factory T3X stock. Added the cheek raiser from the CTR to the T3x stock.

Sportsmatch 30mm medium height rings and Athlon 2-12 Helos scope = perfect for any application where a 308 might be needed or necessary.

c33c2ac1-26fb-4461-9a93-1fb59ee612ff.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ToKeepAndBear
LOL don’t torque factory Remington bottom metals to 65inlbs unless you want to buy a new one for about $200. They’re pot metal aluminum and pretty skinny around the rear screw and are prone to cracking at anything over 50-55inlbs. Best to at least double check anything the village idiot says before following his advice.

01/26 Update. Ordered a new Remington Arms 700 Police LTR bolt action rifle, .308 Win. 20" threaded fluted barrel, 5R rifling, 1/10” With a black finish. Factory instailed Timney Elite Hunter Curved Trigger, fixed H-S Precision composite stock. RemArms part number is R86673.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Honestly, I haven't chrono'd the 16" .308 Win yet... It's been kind of chilling in the safe after I started messing with the 6 ARC.
Same the 6 arc has had my attention for a minute now. Trying to learn what loads besides hornady factory my howa mini likes to shoot. On the .308 I went with a 20” now I am thinking a smaller 16” light weight rig would be better like another Howa

01/26 Update. Ordered a new Remington Arms 700 Police LTR bolt action rifle, .308 Win. 20" threaded fluted barrel, 5R rifling, 1/10” With a black finish. Factory instailed Timney Elite Hunter Curved Trigger, fixed H-S Precision composite stock. RemArms part number is R86673.

Thanks for everyone's help!
This was a good choice. Well done.

LOL don’t torque factory Remington bottom metals to 65inlbs unless you want to buy a new one for about $200. They’re pot metal aluminum and pretty skinny around the rear screw and are prone to cracking at anything over 50-55inlbs. Best to at least double check anything the village idiot says before following his advice.
This post just shows how full of shit you actually are. It is extremely common knowledge that 65 inch-pounds is the perfect and recommended torque for 700 actions in pillar bedded and full bed block stocks. Wood stocks at 45 inch-pounds. Every 700 I own is torqued to 65 inch-pounds. Never once had any issues, no cracked bottom metals, and they all shoot lights-out. Go ask any gunsmith on planet earth and 90% of them will probably tell you the same thing I just did. But now I know just how goddamn stupid you really are.

So now maybe everyone should triple-check anything this retarded asshole has to say just to try to counter anything I recommend...

Straight from the HS Precision website...

Screenshot 2024-01-27 at 1.13.21 AM.png