• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for an ELR/LR/range optic

paigecm

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2007
I recently sold my AXSA with a ZCO 5-27. I wanted to get an AXMC which I did. The purpose of the gun is for shooting steel out to one mile at the range. Needless to say it was a good chunk of change so I have been a little shy to go all out on the optic. Wrong approach, I know. However looking around the new Vortex Gen 3 keeps coming up with very good reviews. I have a line on a like new one locally for $2150 with newer turrets according to the owner. There are also a few 7-35 ATACRs floating around for $2700 and even a SB 6-36 for $3350 or ZCO’s for $3100.
My question is if using in the manner I described would you think spending another 600 to 1200 I would be getting that much extra in going with one of the options over the Vortex? I’m may just be acting like a little snob about putting a Vortex on the AXMC which is dumb AF. Hell do I even need a 35 or 36 powered optic?

I'd look for a reticle that you like and look at the internal travel. A mile may be ELR to some, but getting a reticle with ample amount of hold helps alot when your turrets are at their limit. The difference in glass quality is minimal when you're looking at that level of optic.

Reactions: rothgyr
Can't go wrong with the Vortex Razor Gen 3. Exceptional quality and will never dick you around if you ever need warranty. The Element Theos too I prefer it due to it's significantly lighter weight and totally tool less zero stop. Can be found for around under $2200 delivered no tax brand new lifetime warranty including their electronics but was told they won't warranty it if you use it as a hammer unlike Vortex you get free replacement even if you destroyed it and free round trip warranty shipping too how can you beat that.

Razor 3 and Element Optics Theos closest scopes to true tier 1 scopes for around $2200 and $2450 (new black Razor Gen 3).

Buy the Razor if you're rough and careless with your equipment. It seems more durable IMHO.

Major advantage of buying an overkill 6-36x optic you get a really good (incredible) sweet spot with very easy to get behind eye box between 15x-24x.

I'd go with the vortex 6-36 at those prices. I have the 7-35 ATACR and haven't spent time with the vortex, but I'd bet the vortex is a better value.

@StrayDog has a crazy good deal on a Leica PRS. I'd probably go that route. I've been thinking about that Leica and I literally don't have a rifle to put it on, but it's such a good deal.

Reactions: StrayDog