• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for an excuse (for a new rifle) - got one handy?

DJL2

Tiger 33A
Minuteman
Oct 16, 2013
OCONUS - Land of Kimchi
I recently downsized the armory - cool, but I was lying to myself when I thought that would "stick." The good news is there's a lot of room in the quiver for more turn bolts. The problem is my creativity.

I've got a M70 that's become a project rifle. It's still wearing its .30-06 factory barrel and has the "heavy" stuff covered as well as "cheap" plinking since I can feed it M1 spec new production ammo at about $.60 a shot. I've got a KRG SOTIC in 6.5 CM that I enjoy as a sort of dedicated range/target rig. There's the K31 for when I want something classic, with irons (and is also a project gun as I try to re-zero the damn thing...should have left well enough alone!). I've got a handful of AR-15s that cover the "small" end of center fire stuff fairly well.

I figured it might be nice to get a GP "in-between" thing going, but I'm having trouble convincing myself I can put together a rifle that isn't doing a job already covered by another gun. I feel like if I could nail the caliber down, the rest of it would come together pretty easily. I've kicked around .280 (or .280 AI), 6.5 PRC, 6 CM, even another 6.5 CM. Hell, I've even thought about 6.5-06, .270 WSM, .243 AI and a few others besides. At the moment I'm leaning towards another 6.5 CM (simply because I already shoot it and will eventually get around to reloading for it) or a 6mm of some variety. I've never been a 6mm guy, but it seems like I might get some genuine utility out of it (even if the performance overlaps my ARs somewhat in a practical sense) compared to cartridges that compete more directly with the .30-06. From a purely "on paper" standpoint, I like the .280 and the 6.5 PRC a lot.

What's it for? Well - it'd be nice if I had a sort of "goto" rifle - something that's competent for targets/plinking, able to stretch its legs a bit when I get the chance to shoot out to 1000 (yes, not long in this group, I know), and useful for hunting hogs/deer. I suppose I might be doomed to just admit that I want a rifle and don't need a reason, but it sure would be swell if I could sort of halfway justify it to myself.

sure, you can come up with a bunch of "excuses", like "I need a new rifle for deer" or "I need a new pistol for IPSC" or whatever,

but about the best excuse I've ever had was

"I want one"

oh, and the "what calibre" thing - my vote for plain old .243 winchester for an all purpose "go-to" gun

• Haha
Reactions: DJL2
Build a 6mm of some variety with a medium heavy barrel(like remington sendero) cut to 22" and call it a loaner for new shooters, a coyote/hog/deer/fun gun. Put it in a stock you can carry with a dbm and a 4-16ish scope.

Reactions: DJL2
got a good excuse the sun is shinning or its cloudy this morning and I want another gun it works for me all the time if I got the money . Other wise I just look in this forum and find a gun I don't own and think "I have to own one" , that happens a lot .

Build a 6mm of some variety with a medium heavy barrel(like remington sendero) cut to 22" and call it a loaner for new shooters, a coyote/hog/deer/fun gun. Put it in a stock you can carry with a dbm and a 4-16ish scope.

See...you get me. I might go nuts on a 3-18 scope though ;-). Oh, and a 6mm is a good choice for vermin!

Reactions: moosemeat
A 223 or 223AI is a fun one to shoot and easy to feed. I would go 1-8 twist so you can go heavy for a hunting rifle.

280 AI is a cool "middle ground" one, I'm building a general purpose hunting rifle in it for elk/deer/pigs. Within 100 fps of a 7mm rem mag, less recoil. With a carbon fiber proof barrel it shoots like a match gun but carries like a pencil barreled hunter. Tikka action. Could put down an elk at 700 yds or a pig at 50. Could also smack steel to a mile with decent barrel life.

Check out the Bighorn Origin build thread. I'm sure you will find inspiration there. ? Swappable bolt heads means you could build one with a shouldered pre-fit in 223 for cheap, fun accuracy and then a standard bolt for a 6.5 or 6mm gun. You could even do a short mag too, all on the same gun. Very versatile.

Sounds like you have most your bases covered so build or buy one you want, just for fun!

An Accuracy International AT is never a bad idea if you have the scratch. They are simply real life sniper rifles that shoot like a dream. Also switch barrel in the field, no tools, if you like to try multiple calibers or keep several barrels on hand.

That's a few ideas I am using for my excuses! Someday I should just shoot all the ones I have more, lol.

Reactions: cjs88 and DJL2
I was in the same boat and I saw the Sig cross, light folded it is compact. When I get it I will have WTO punch it out to 6.5SLR so I am only loading one round.

Reactions: deersniper
223 bolt gun. The most you will have with your pants on.

This is my next build, just waiting on the action and barrel, both should come before end of the month. Looking forward to low recoil, progressive loaded precision!

Reactions: RFutch
It's nice to have a bolty and a gas gun in the same caliber. Redundant systems are a safety thing like.........uh...aircraft have um. Yea, its a safety issue.

• Haha
Reactions: verdugo60
It's nice to have a bolty and a gas gun in the same caliber. Redundant systems are a safety thing like.........uh...aircraft have um. Yea, its a safety issue.
I hardly ever shoot my AR any more

I do shoot my 9mm AR as often as possible though.

Now that I have a bigger cartridge as well I could turn my 260 into a 223 set up for heavies but honestly I’d have a hard time leaving 260.

I really like the .280 AI - very probably barrel #2 on my M70 when the time comes.

I thought hard about the .223 as a small critter getter, ammo burner (lord knows I have enough) and fun little center fire for my son (and something he can dry fie with).

The Bighorn thread does inspire and Straight Jacket Armory sells them chambered in a variety of configurations...which won’t save time or money, but will let me pick the stock I want. I sent an inquiry to the folks at Seekins to see if I could get a PH2 w/ custom LOP.

If Seekins will do a custom LOP...well, I like the PH2 a lot. If not, I guess I can build whatever I want. The AI stuff is cool...not sure it strikes a cord with me now like it used to.

Do any of the fast 22s with a fast twisted barrel.

22-250
22-250 AI
22BR
22BRA
22 Dasher
22CM
220 Swift
22GT

Last edited:
I needed a 6.5 somethin bad so I am turning my old .270 savage into a 6.5-06. If you went that route, then you can run the same powder and bullets.

One of my go-to fun guns is a 260 Rem. That’s my steel puncher for long range.

My last two purchases are a CZ Scorpion Evo 3 and an AIAT. I can already see that these will lighten up my ammo fund

Take a cruise through the px here. Lots of great rifles come up at decent prices. People put the money and wait times into them then change direction. You may find something you can’t live without.

I really like the .280 AI - very probably barrel #2 on my M70 when the time comes.

I thought hard about the .223 as a small critter getter, ammo burner (lord knows I have enough) and fun little center fire for my son (and something he can dry fie with).

The Bighorn thread does inspire and Straight Jacket Armory sells them chambered in a variety of configurations...which won’t save time or money, but will let me pick the stock I want. I sent an inquiry to the folks at Seekins to see if I could get a PH2 w/ custom LOP.

If Seekins will do a custom LOP...well, I like the PH2 a lot. If not, I guess I can build whatever I want. The AI stuff is cool...not sure it strikes a cord with me now like it used to.

Nice, I like Seekins being an Idaho boy.

For me the bighorn/223 will be a great combo because eventually I'll do a 6 GT barrel and have a fun practice gun that I can also shoot matches with or bring as a backup for my AI.

You could get something to fill in a percieved gap in the quiver or just a fun gun and use that as an excuse.

Short barrel 6.5 because coronapocalypse. And a crossbow, definitely a crossbow.

I might be pursuing a DIY PH2 (at considerably greater cost) as the fine folks at Seekins are not currently able to offer an adjustable LOP on the Havak. They did mention they might do a spacer system in the future (no ETA) for those that want it longer. I go the opposite way. As I understand it, the McMillan stock I ordered for my M70 was the original PH1 stock before they started doing it in house. Assuming I like that as much as I think I will, I'll order a second (or an EH1)...for something.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if I dropped about $2500-3000 on just components trying to recreate a rifle with an MSRP of <$2k - but, at least I can have any caliber I want now, right? Oof!