• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for an optic for an mk12 build.

jpop8807

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Nov 16, 2022
    Pueblo, CO
    Hello Gents, I'm sure some of you found my drunken mk12 pri upper buy thread. I read the how to ask optics questions thread so I will word this the best I can. Not intending a 100% clone-correct build. Also, I have never used a cantilever mount do you guys like them? I'm going with an A2 style stock. The non cantilever mounts like normal rings and such seem to sit lower possibly providing a more consistent sight picture. I've only bought from optics planet and PSA(newb I know). Both have some 1x10s but the objective lens seem rather small like an LPVO small. The only thing I found on optics planet in my price with a slightly bigger objective is. Vortex Viper PST Gen II 2-10x32mm 30mm Tube First Focal Plane and Trijicon Credo CR1036 2-10x36mm Rifle Scope, 30 mm Tube, First Focal Plane.

I'm open for all suggestions. I have a 3x15 pst gen 2 on my 308 and like it. But I also rocked an acog for years (granted not the same thing), but it seemed to last me and I wasn't nice to it at all.

• What is the platform for the scope? MK 12
    • What cartridge are you shooting? 5.56
    • What is your intended use for the scope? Benchrest, steel, target, SHTF, fun
    • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Mostly daylight
    • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? So far where I'm at 100 yards-500 most commonly
    • Are there any specific specifications you would like? FFP, MIL reticle.
    • What is the price range you can afford? Around 1100-1200ish

So, we build and sell Mk12 rifles, uppers, scopes and suppressors, and what I like to say is "Make Your Clone Your Own." Make it as correct as you want, or make it you as much as you want. BUT, you started with a Mk12 rifle, so a few things should happen, IMHO.

This is a rifle, you will indeed, enjoy. Your target range is perfect for the rifle. I agree that MIL is a good selection. FFP, if possible, but I would not stick with that if you have trouble in your price range. Illuminated is nice, but not needed.

1) Get the Mk12 correct rings. Don't fight it. If it is a PRI upper, it will be Mod O or Mod H. Either way, ARMS #22 Medium is correct if you have the Swan rail over the receiver. And price is not an issue. These are cheaper than a good Badger, Nightforce, Spuhr or even Audere mount. You might have to lap, but never look back.

2) for scope, you have some good choices. Remember, the original Navy snipers used 9x power, so you can probably do better. Best choice is probably Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 , but there are others as well. I would try to keep it Nightforce or Leupold, to give it that military look and feel. Leupold Mark 5HD gives you some great options. Both the NF and the Leupold might be a little above your budget, but I would encourage you to stretch the budget a little. If you cannot, then the Viper PST is a good move. Look at Arken and Burris XTR 3.

Please don't write Optics Planet twice in a paragraph. :oops:. LOL. If we can help further, shoot me a DM or email.

Not a MK12, but my take on an SPRish gun. I run a Leupold Mk 4, 2.5-10 scope. It is sitting in a JP flattop mount.

Reactions: jpop8807
    So, we build and sell Mk12 rifles, uppers, scopes and suppressors, and what I like to say is "Make Your Clone Your Own." Make it as correct as you want, or make it you as much as you want. BUT, you started with a Mk12 rifle, so a few things should happen, IMHO.

This is a rifle, you will indeed, enjoy. Your target range is perfect for the rifle. I agree that MIL is a good selection. FFP, if possible, but I would not stick with that if you have trouble in your price range. Illuminated is nice, but not needed.

1) Get the Mk12 correct rings. Don't fight it. If it is a PRI upper, it will be Mod O or Mod H. Either way, ARMS #22 Medium is correct if you have the Swan rail over the receiver. And price is not an issue. These are cheaper than a good Badger, Nightforce, Spuhr or even Audere mount. You might have to lap, but never look back.

2) for scope, you have some good choices. Remember, the original Navy snipers used 9x power, so you can probably do better. Best choice is probably Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x42 , but there are others as well. I would try to keep it Nightforce or Leupold, to give it that military look and feel. Leupold Mark 5HD gives you some great options. Both the NF and the Leupold might be a little above your budget, but I would encourage you to stretch the budget a little. If you cannot, then the Viper PST is a good move. Look at Arken and Burris XTR 3.

Please don't write Optics Planet twice in a paragraph. :oops:. LOL. If we can help further, shoot me a DM or email.
    Took me a while to put together who you were. Then I saw the signature. You guys have super cool stuff. I stalked your site a few times when I did my fn m4 collectors sopmod 1.5 build. You have awesome stuff. I actually almost bought my upper from you guys. It is a PRI 18" Mk12 Mod 0 SPR Gen II Upper 5.56 1:7 in Black. The only reason I ended up going with midway is that they had the same upper on sale for black Friday for I think 1499.

I can see you guys know exactly what you are doing. I just ordered the ring. I will now look into those optics. Buy once cry once right? lol. I'm new to long-range anything. I do agree the way those look for that firearm is great. A lot of the other optics out there have a lpvo skinny look which I don't think would look right on this firearm.

Reactions: simonp
    There are a couple of first gen Vortex 2.5-10x32's for sale on that other site in the $550-$600 range.
    I looked at the Credo's and the lack of side focus for an MPVO is a no-go for me.
    Forgot to add:
    I have a Recce rail and used Nightforce ultra light rings of the appropriate height to get me 1.5" off the handguard part of the rail for use with my C35.

Reactions: Maddog51
    John (Charlie's Custom Clones) knows his stuff, so read and re-read his recommendations

My SPR sports an Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42 with offset Leupold DPP right now while it waits for the new March 1.5-15x42 with dual focal plane reticle. The March is above your price range and going to have some limitations, but if you want to save a little money and don't mind supporting CCP the Athlon is a good choice with one of the better FFP reticles (AHMR2) for MPVO IMO. Hoping one of the big mfr's will come out with a nice Japanese built MPVO FFP optic with usable reticle at low mags that'll be right in that $1500ish range.

Oh, and thank you OP for including all the details about your rifle and intended purpose, that really helps (y)

I looked at the Credo's and the lack of side focus for an MPVO is a no-go for me.
    ^^^ Not only that but the reticle is not very usable at 2x. Finding a FFP MPVO with a good reticle at low mag can be challenging which is why a lot of guys go with SFP MPVO optics, give us super bright illumination or a compelling FFP reticle.

I have one of the 3-9X leupold scopes he mentioned, it's illuminated with shorter eye relief and has the BDC dials for 62gr and 168gr. For 10000 blowjobs it could be yours.

Whatever you decide to get I highly suggest the Arms 22M rings which are something like 1.1" to center. Anything taller will be funky with the PRI top rail (average mount is 1.38"). That means you'll want to stay around a 40mm objective. So the leupold M2/M3 series of scopes, the nightforce 2.5-10x32, that sort of thing.

John (Charlie's Custom Clones) knows his stuff, so read and re-read his recommendations

My SPR sports an Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x42 with offset Leupold DPP right now while it waits for the new March 1.5-15x42 with dual focal plane reticle. The March is above your price range and going to have some limitations, but if you want to save a little money and don't mind supporting CCP the Athlon is a good choice with one of the better FFP reticles (AHMR2) for MPVO IMO. Hoping one of the big mfr's will come out with a nice Japanese built MPVO FFP optic with usable reticle at low mags that'll be right in that $1500ish range.

Oh, and thank you OP for including all the details about your rifle and intended purpose, that really helps (y)

^^^ Not only that but the reticle is not very usable at 2x. Finding a FFP MPVO with a good reticle at low mag can be challenging which is why a lot of guys go with SFP MPVO optics, give us super bright illumination or a compelling FFP reticle.
    Shit I should have probably read these first. I ended up with the Credo. I went to pick up my lower from my gunsmith. I told him what I was looking at he said hands down the nightforce is the best, especially for that build, and being somewhat more clone correct looking. Then he was like I actually have a Credo in. I got it for 300. He said it was on a build that was never completed and after court stuff and holding it for one year he said he broke the build down and sold everything. No one bought the optic so he had it sitting in the back, in the box covered in dust. Figured the deal was too good to turn down. I hope I don't regret it worst case scenario I can try to sell it. I did go with the a.r.m.s rings from charlie's customs.

I have one of the 3-9X leupold scopes he mentioned, it's illuminated with shorter eye relief and has the BDC dials for 62gr and 168gr. For 10000 blowjobs it could be yours.

Whatever you decide to get I highly suggest the Arms 22M rings which are something like 1.1" to center. Anything taller will be funky with the PRI top rail (average mount is 1.38"). That means you'll want to stay around a 40mm objective. So the leupold M2/M3 series of scopes, the nightforce 2.5-10x32, that sort of thing.
    I ordered those rings last night from Charlie's Customs. I ended up with the credo. When I went to pick up my lower. I told him what all I was thinking, and what all was suggested, and he even talked up the night force and Leupold. Then he was like hold on a second I have a Credo, he said it's not a bad optic, but as mentioned does not have the parallax adjustment. Someone paid him to do an SPR build, and never came back for the firearm over a year ago. He said the credo isn't the best or what he'd get but he said I'll sell it to you for 300. So I figured it was a good deal. It's a 36mm objective. Worst case scenario, I sell it and try to make a profit. I looked at that night force and man is it nice.

Also, are we talking blowjobs to completion?

I ordered those rings last night from Charlie's Customs. I ended up with the credo. When I went to pick up my lower. I told him what all I was thinking, and what all was suggested, and he even talked up the night force and Leupold. Then he was like hold on a second I have a Credo, he said it's not a bad optic, but as mentioned does not have the parallax adjustment. Someone paid him to do an SPR build, and never came back for the firearm over a year ago. He said the credo isn't the best or what he'd get but he said I'll sell it to you for 300. So I figured it was a good deal. It's a 36mm objective. Worst case scenario, I sell it and try to make a profit. I looked at that night force and man is it nice.

Also, are we talking blowjobs to completion?

That was nice of him @ 300$. Trijicon stuff is made in japan it is quality.

Completion. Bring beer.

That was nice of him @ 300$. Trijicon stuff is made in japan it is quality.

Completion. Bring beer.
    Well I'm going to find the cough drops the army used to give to numb my throat just in case. Depending on your diet I'll figure out whether I go lager or a strong IPA. LMFAO.

Reactions: Maddog51
    Love running a Leupold Mk5 HD 3.6-18 in a C1 mount with a top mounted red dot. Super versatile. Let's you do up close work and throw on NVGs for passive shooting.

A friend is now running the same setup with the Tremor 3 reticle which seems to be good for NVG clip on work to take dialing out.

Reactions: jpop8807 and BCP
    I think the credo is almost great. Short, light, ffp, but reticle not day light bright (DLB) and hence not usable in "patrol rifle" mode, quick shots on low power against targets of opportunity taken from standing unsupported while moving (not literally shooting while moving, but seeing, stopping, shooting while standing :D ). Which is probably why SPF scopes still exist, to fill that gap. Adding an offset RMR will also do it, but that adds more weight.
    The newish batch of LPVO FFP with DLB reticles DO check all these boxes and I have finally gone "all in" on those and now have 5, with 2 of them being ATACR 1-8x dmx, which I like the most, primarily due to the reticle. The VO 1-10x is second place, but the dmx reticle wins for me. I can see the reticle better in the ATACR and I like the small center dot.
    Also looking at the new March 1.5-15x FFP, due out next year.

Love running a Leupold Mk5 HD 3.6-18 in a C1 mount with a top mounted red dot. Super versatile. Let's you do up close work and throw on NVGs for passive shooting.

A friend is now running the same setup with the Tremor 3 reticle which seems to be good for NVG clip on work to take dialing out.
    See I'm debating on that right now I have the arms mounts in the mail. I'm debating running a top or off set red dot. Especially if what everyone is telling me about the credo at 2 power sucking.

I think the credo is almost great. Short, light, ffp, but reticle not day light bright (DLB) and hence not usable in "patrol rifle" mode, quick shots on low power against targets of opportunity taken from standing unsupported while moving (not literally shooting while moving, but seeing, stopping, shooting while standing :D ). Which is probably why SPF scopes still exist, to fill that gap. Adding an offset RMR will also do it, but that adds more weight.
    The newish batch of LPVO FFP with DLB reticles DO check all these boxes and I have finally gone "all in" on those and now have 5, with 2 of them being ATACR 1-8x dmx, which I like the most, primarily due to the reticle. The VO 1-10x is second place, but the dmx reticle wins for me. I can see the reticle better in the ATACR and I like the small center dot.
    Also looking at the new March 1.5-15x FFP, due out next year.
    Nice man. Ya that makes sense. I was curious about that at first. I think I might go offset mount. That sounds like a good idea for now. I looked up the ATACR's those are sickkkk.

See I'm debating on that right now I have the arms mounts in the mail. I'm debating running a top or off set red dot. Especially if what everyone is telling me about the credo at 2 power sucking.
    The red dot is where it's at for me, even compared to a LPVO. Passive with NODs is a bonus and it's near impossible if the dot is offset.

Back when I was a young lass drooling over rifles in magazines I told myself one day I’d own a MK12 and it would be clone correct. Fast forward some years and after scratching the AI itch the MK12 was next on the list. The “clone correct” turned into an off the shelf upper from PRI because I didn’t want to spend the time (and money) on sourcing original parts. The Colt upper/lower set turned into a Noveske lower because I was too much of a pussy to break up a clean Colt donor rifle. Optics and mounts have come a long way since the MK12 rolled out, I’m not getting any younger so I decided to forgo trying to track down one of the original clone correct scopes and get something in FFP with good glass. I ended up going with a Leupold 3.6-18, I originally had a set of ARC extra high rings but they ended up being a hair too tall with the A2 stock. Got a Badger C1 Max mount and it’s perfect. So my dream MK12 Mod0 near perfect clone ended up turning into a “MK12 Mod Close but No Cigar” but it’s comfortable to shoot and the optic choice makes it easy to spend a long time behind the gun. PRI puts out a pretty accurate upper, for punching paper and ringing steel it fits the role perfectly.
    900383AB-BE15-4D9D-9529-6BD6EC8D0149.jpeg

Back when I was a young lass drooling over rifles in magazines I told myself one day I’d own a MK12 and it would be clone correct. Fast forward some years and after scratching the AI itch the MK12 was next on the list. The “clone correct” turned into an off the shelf upper from PRI because I didn’t want to spend the time (and money) on sourcing original parts. The Colt upper/lower set turned into a Noveske lower because I was too much of a pussy to break up a clean Colt donor rifle. Optics and mounts have come a long way since the MK12 rolled out, I’m not getting any younger so I decided to forgo trying to track down one of the original clone correct scopes and get something in FFP with good glass. I ended up going with a Leupold 3.6-18, I originally had a set of ARC extra high rings but they ended up being a hair too tall with the A2 stock. Got a Badger C1 Max mount and it’s perfect. So my dream MK12 Mod0 near perfect clone ended up turning into a “MK12 Mod Close but No Cigar” but it’s comfortable to shoot and the optic choice makes it easy to spend a long time behind the gun. PRI puts out a pretty accurate upper, for punching paper and ringing steel it fits the role perfectly. View attachment 8028909
    She's beautiful. I don't mind that at all. See I was super against clones years ago. Like fuck me man I don't want to be reminded of work (infantry) so I initially didn't want anything I carried. Well a few years later I found a site called pewpew tactical. Not bad pretty informative stuff, but with a relaxed mindset. He was doing a lot of clone stuff. I saw the sopmod 1.5 clone. I was like hmm, I never was ranger bat or SF. That looks kinda cool. Then saw how much the colt shit was going for 14.5 complete upper sold on gunbroker for 1200 the M4 marked lower sold for 800. I didn't have money at the time. Then I saw a review on the FN M4 military collector. 14.5 barrel pin welded flash hider. At my last unit my m4 was a FN its stamped FN even has the qr code So now I have a sopmod 1.5 clone close but no cigar and I love that rifle. Not sure why but I feel like FN has their shit together.

Reactions: NHPiper
    She's beautiful. I don't mind that at all. See I was super against clones years ago. Like fuck me man I don't want to be reminded of work (infantry) so I initially didn't want anything I carried. Well a few years later I found a site called pewpew tactical. Not bad pretty informative stuff, but with a relaxed mindset. He was doing a lot of clone stuff. I saw the sopmod 1.5 clone. I was like hmm, I never was ranger bat or SF. That looks kinda cool. Then saw how much the colt shit was going for 14.5 complete upper sold on gunbroker for 1200 the M4 marked lower sold for 800. I didn't have money at the time. Then I saw a review on the FN M4 military collector. 14.5 barrel pin welded flash hider. At my last unit my m4 was a FN its stamped FN even has the qr code So now I have a sopmod 1.5 clone close but no cigar and I love that rifle. Not sure why but I feel like FN has their shit together.

They have their s*** together as long as you don't need to get a scar warrantied hahaha. Ask me how I know.

The fact that putting a suppressor on one of their $3,000 rifles voids a warranty should say something to them right there.

They have their s*** together as long as you don't need to get a scar warrantied hahaha. Ask me how I know.

The fact that putting a suppressor on one of their $3,000 rifles voids a warranty should say something to them right there.
    Sir, I'm using my GI bill to go to school. I'm a peasant, I try to use it on call of duty, and the game pops a warning that says I'm too poor please use the M4 or AK lol. That really crazy. I have heard of that from a few guntubers. Like that's insane. Wasn't the SCAR supposed to be suppressor compatible for the military?

Reactions: NHPiper

@longshot2000 any thoughts on using Steiner 3-12 Military (their older model) in Bobro mount? Or should I go with something else for Mod 0 clone?

I just ordered a PRI mk12 mod h 1-7 upper from you guys. Still trying to decide on an optic. Leaning toward atarc 4-16x42 milxt (I have two other scopes with mil xt) vs mk5hd. I just wish leupold made the mk5hd 3-18 with pr2 mil with illumination. I’m running a sopmod stock - which mount and/ring height would you recommend? Thx

I just wish leupold made the mk5hd 3-18 with pr2 mil with illumination.
    You could do a US Optics FDN 17x JVCR. it's a near identical reticle with .2 instead of .25 marks. My FDNs have been running 100% over the last two years.
    mk12_grendel.jpeg