• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for AR10 guidance

Contender-1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2020
West Palm Beach, FL
I'm wanting to build a budget friendly AR 10 in 6 gt. Looking for guidance and trying to avoid reinventing the wheel. Primarily for shooting steel out to 700-800 yds and Hog Hunting. I've been having great consistency with the Sierra 107's out of my bolt guns.
Thanks in advance,
Bob

Reactions: simonp
Why on earth would you want an AR10 for that purpose? Especially when you have 6ARC laying around it makes no sense at all.

Reactions: Dogtown
I was trying to avoid supporting another caliber. I've read where the small frame will only run up to 88gr ish pills. What kind of obstacles am I looking at?
Bob

I was trying to avoid supporting another caliber. I've read where the small frame will only run up to 88gr ish pills. What kind of obstacles am I looking at?
Bob
This is absolutely false. 6 ARC can run whatever grain you want, including in an AR

In 6GT? That's why i'm reaching out to folks who have forgotten more about it than me. I would love to use the AR 15 platform if its doable?
Bob
No. Not in a GT. In a 6 ARC.

You said that 6 ARC in a small frame AR could only shoot 88 grain bullets.

This is false information.

He is referring to 6ARC.

No. Not in a GT. In a 6 ARC.

You said that 6 ARC in a small frame AR could only shoot 88 grain bullets.

This is false information.

He is referring to 6ARC.
Sorry for the mistake. I was talking about the 6GT not the ARC. I have read the AR 10 is required for the larger 107's in GT. A friend has an ARC that will shoot clover leafs at 100.

There's not a gas gun that currently shoots 6gt. Change your plans.

Edit - I'm wrong.

Last edited:
Sorry for the mistake. I was talking about the 6GT not the ARC. I have read the AR 10 is required for the larger 107's in GT. A friend has an ARC that will shoot clover leafs at 100.
If he says you can only shoot 88 grain bullets your friend is giving you completely bad information.

In a small frame AR you can shoot the entire spectrum of 6mm bullets. I personally shot a .25 moa group using 108 grain bullets.

Our point is that you are asking for information about how to reinvent the wheel.

There is zero need to go with a large frame AR 10 platform to shoot any 6mm bullets that you want.

There are videos out there of people shooting out beyond a mile using heavy 6mm bullets in a small frame AR.

You apparently want to go with a 6 GT but we are saying that is a bad idea for your given requirements, especially in an AR.

Not true. Sgt of Arms has complete rifles, X-Caliber (and others) make the barrels.
That just sounds like a terrible idea seeing as how folks need mag kits in bolt guns and they still can be finicky, but live and learn. Not the first time I've been wrong today.

Go for it OP- let us know how it runs.
I'd go 6 Arc, personally.

Speaking of 6mm in an AR10, I’m also running a 16” 6mm Creed with great results. Nope, not a 6GT but at least in the same ballpark.

@Contender-1 i I see your point if you don’t want to add a new cartridge. You’ll need to get a custom barrel done but it’s doable. You might also want to get a high pressure bolt like the JP. When I converted from 16” .308WIN to 16” 6mm Creed my bolt broke on the third shot. Seriously overgassed by default, so added the JP bolt and an adjustable gas block so I could ease it in.

But if you don’t already have an AR10 to build, I’d highly recommend the 6ARC - really a dream to shoot without moving up to a large frame higher recoil setup. 6ARC, to me, feels even more tame than 5.56 and nearly doubles effective range.

Reactions: alamo5000
Update: I spoke with the nicest people over at X-caliber barrels and ordered a an AR10 barrel in 6gt. They said it's becoming a pretty regular Ar10 request. Time will tell. Thanks for all of the input.
Bob
You'll be happy with any barrel they cut.

Sorry for raining on your parade earlier.

I can see some advantages to this cartridge in a gas gun, especially given your logistics and I'm glad folks are experimenting and pushing things.

You certainly won't hit mag confines. Let us know how it works out!

I'm excited about getting the barrel started. Would really appreciate some insight on a quality mated upp & lower. Not wanting to break the bank with Larue, wilson combat, etc. I would like to buy once and cry a little once. Opinions are greatly appreciated.
Bob

I'm excited about getting the barrel started. Would really appreciate some insight on a quality mated upp & lower. Not wanting to break the bank with Larue, wilson combat, etc. I would like to buy once and cry a little once. Opinions are greatly appreciated.
Bob
Aero Precision M5 would be my lowest level. They have 2 different types of uppers, threaded and Enhanced, that each have their own advantages/disadvantages. Seekins SP10 is a step up and ambidextrous. Their upper is similar to the Aero Enhanced and require a specific handguard type. Availability might be an issue. Your bolt/BCG selection is important, JP or RCA are good choices, and the JP HP might be worth the upgrade. Recoil/action selection is also important, intermediate (A5) length and appropriate buffer & spring if you're going with a collapsible stock.