• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for best setup for 300 win mag?

Zachn131

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2019
Moving to northern Idaho and looking for a what would be a good setup for 1000 yard 300 win mag or…. Can you help enlighten me or good options for elk gun?

Equation = Budget, How long are you willing to wait, how good of a hunter are you, hiring a guide, how much is in your optics budget, have you hunted elk previously ???

You should ask these guys for some input

Reactions: Digetydog
300 WM Match chamber, CIP 3.85" coal. 10 twist for Berger 215's or 225 eld-m's. 8 or 9 twist for Badlands solids.

Reactions: Riverlife87
25 plus years hunting in Texas. No experience hunting elk just heard and seen them behind high fences in Texas. As for budget 3k and still saving… military background with I would say pretty good understanding of long range but always learning…

25 plus years hunting in Texas. No experience hunting elk just heard and seen them behind high fences in Texas. As for budget 3k and still saving… military background with I would say pretty good understanding of long range but always learning…
Understood.... You will get many suggestions.
I will start a bit differently. Weight of your weapon - A have 300WM's. The lightweight "hunter"style delivers a pretty good kick. Enough that it takes a second or two to get focused back through your optics. No problem if you make a clean kill. A problem if the big game jumps or runs immediately after being hit. The question in the mind of the shooter is "Which way did he go"? A late afternoon shot and the game is gone into the brush and it's getting dark. That is a problem if you don't have a spotter or guide.
A heavy weight configuration, with good optics, allows you to see where your shot went. If you miss, there will be a chance you kick up some dust near your game. Sometimes a clean miss and the game will hesitate and allow a second shot.
You will hear from some guy's who shoot off of a tripod or bipod. A heavy weapon and heavy accessories will be a challenge to a guy from the flat lands of Texas in mountains with an elevation above 3,000'....

Continue on

Most of my weapons I have now are 11lbs+ and my service weapons were the same… definitely have had my trigger time at 4K plus elevation… granted on the scenario you describe there are a lot of variables, yes the time of day, elevation is the animal uphill or down hill, winds so on and so forth… I will agree a light setup which I do have chamber in 30-06 does kick like a mule accurate but do agree a follow up shot is much more difficult with a lighter setup…

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Ain’t much a 215 Berger at 2950 fps can’t handle. I get a factory Bergara in 300 win or go custom and build a 300 Sherman.

Cheaper setup Bergara hmr 300 win mag they are nice. Or buy an action and prefit barrel and put it all together yourself. I would run 212 eldx or hammer bullets copper or pva bullets copper hunting bullets. I love the copper hunting bullets now they are tough but open up amazing.

I don't know if they still have it but you might want to check the Idaho hunting regulations.
When I lived there 20yrs ago they had a maximum rifle weight of 16lbs for big game.
The regulation was due to guys building 50BMG rifles and artillery shooting cross canyon at elk.

Nowadays, exceeding 16lbs is pretty easy with chassis, heavy barrels, cans and supressors.

I currently own precisely duplicated chambers on 2 300WINMAGS and am heavily invested in that cartridge. It is phenomenal. I have had fantastic results with the 210 Berger VLD. Lots of very good factory ammo available.
That being said, knowing what I know now, I would never get involved with the belted magnum.
I also have a custom 300RUM and a 30NOSLER. Of course the RUM is the speedster of the 3 and it's fun but it does punish you in return. You pay for that performance monetarily, too. The 30NOSLER can also outperform the WINMAG or you can realistically duplicate a 300WINMAG load.
If I were relegated to choosing just 1 amongst the 3, I'd go with the NOSLER.
If you do go with the belted magnum...Belted Magnum Collet Die

My advice is to avoid a factory rifle and go with a custom job, because you know that’s what you really want.

Decide what flavor of action you want and Order a Manners EH1/EH1A now, it will take 8 months or longer to get and will give you additional time to save for it. One thing to consider, the mini-chassis adds expense, but with the cost of bottom metal and bedding, it actually works out better.

For long actions that are reasonably priced and accept prefits should you want that as an option in the future, you can get a tenacity, origin or I would actually recommend a Kelbly Atlas action.

You can get a proof, Bartlein, benchmark or carbon six carbon barrel. If your prior military there is a website you can get a proof for a very good discount.

Then buy the trigger and muzzle device if your choice, I like trigger tech and Area 419.

For glass, you’re prior mil so get signed up with Leupold and get a great discount on their Mark5HD line.

ETA: I have the belted collar die @Aftermath referenced above and it’s a really nice and reasonably priced piece of reloading gear to have. I have yet to have a need for it though.

Last edited:
30" MTU barrel in a ACC with all the weights. Make sure to take your shmedium Game Cahnger and hand it on the rifle for the cattle gate stage..

Being worried about the 16 pound limit on a rifle designed from the get go as a hunting rifle......

Origin long action. 3b 1-9 prefit at 24". Manners game warden/scout/ehs stock. 300PRC to avoid the belt that apparently haunts certain people. The rest is what ever you want and you would have to work to get 16 pounds with a bipod and scope

Last edited:
The belt is no concern with the right reamer and only bumping the shoulders back .002 to .003 like any other case. But if you don't want the belt I'd pick the 30 nosler over anything else. I run a 30 nosler for long range target work and love the case design. My dad uses a 300 win mag and we also shoot 7mm-300 win mags.

ARC Mousingfield, 24" proof sendero lite, Manners LRH, Hawkins dbm, triggertech special 2 stage. In 300prc.

Or go with the 300wsm, which I prefer for hunting elk. I went with a proof lite sendero because I wanted to use a can, but didn't want the the extra weight to accommodate the .750 shoulder at 24".

My Win m70 is right at 13lbs with the proof, McMillan Edge HTG, NX8 2.5-20, omega, and atlas psr.

Last edited:
Reactions: moosemeat
Gave my recommendation for the WM barrel, but if open to other cartridges, a WSM would be great for a lighter build in a medium action or Tikka. Unfortunately, in a true short action, the cartridge is neutered. RUM is great, but you need 4" or more of COAL to get the benefit over a 30 Nos, which is basically a shorter RUM. WM really is a nice balance around ~72 grains. I've also had no issue with the belt.

Reactions: Schw15
I didn't complain about the weight of the Browning composite stalker in 300 Win mag with a 3.5-10 Leupold on top. In fact, my pack weighed more than the rifle.

Plenty accurate and light enough to carry without complaining.
No, it didn't have a brake on it. I just shot it enough that recoil wasn't an issue.

The dead elk and deer never complained either.

Don't get me wrong, I love custom rifles, but too many people overthink this shit.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of letting that Browning go. Today, I'd grab the 7-1/2 pound 7 Mag mountain rifle that resides in my safe. I'd feed it a bullet it likes and kill more elk.

I didn't complain about the weight of the Browning composite stalker in 300 Win mag with a 3.5-10 Leupold on top. In fact, my pack weighed more than the rifle.

Plenty accurate and light enough to carry without complaining.
No, it didn't have a brake on it. I just shot it enough that recoil wasn't an issue.

The dead elk and deer never complained either.

Don't get me wrong, I love custom rifles, but too many people overthink this shit.

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of letting that Browning go. Today, I'd grab the 7-1/2 pound 7 Mag mountain rifle that resides in my safe. I'd feed it a bullet it likes and kill more elk.
I agree on the custom rifles and fancy stuff for hunting. I think a good factory rifle for pure hunting is good to go.