• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for Chassis Advice

ThePretzel

Mr. Anonymous Bread Product
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2017
Colorado
I'm looking to pick up a chassis to use in PRS matches next year and I've narrowed it down to 3 options but can't really seem to set one apart as the clear choice. I know the answer is probably that any of these options would work great, but where's the fun in that? I'll go into what I like and dislike about each chassis option, but feel free to ignore it all if you have an opinion already - I'm all ears to hear what others think.

MPA BA Competition Folder:

I always liked the look of the MPA BA Competition and appreciated the idea of adding holes to the underside of the arca rail for quick adjustments in position. That said, I realize I would only ever utilize that specific feature when shooting from a round-tube cattle gate so it's a non-issue really. Main advantages to the BA Competition Folder are that it folds, it's in stock now for me to get it and keep shooting/practicing, and it's $100 cheaper than my second option.

MDT ACC:

I'll admit right off the bat that I think the ACC is a bit ugly, but it does have some nice features. I like how you can precisely tune the weight and balance of the chassis with their weight kits, but at the same time hate that MDT seems to nickel and dime you for everything individually (seriously, does anyone else require you to buy a grip for your chassis separately?). This one can go the heaviest (previously I was at 27lbs with my XLR Envy) and it has the longest forend, and having handled one the ACC is the only chassis that I honestly wouldn't want/need a spigot mount for since I can hardly reach the tip of the forend as is. It's also in stock now ready to shoot.

MPA Matrix Chassis:

I like a lot about this chassis, it's just that after my experience with a Nucleus pre-order I'm feeling pretty cautious about products not on shelves yet. I like the grip options, I like that it's got a 2" longer forend than the BA Competition, I like that it comes with a night vision rail, I like that it includes a 2rd holder, and I like that I could find a way to stuff a mercury tube in the cylindrical hole in the back of the buttstock. What I don't like is that it's $10-100 more expensive depending on if I order it exactly the way I want it, and more importantly the fact that I won't have a rifle to shoot until it arrives. With MPA lead times having a reputation for "flexibility" I just don't want to get stuck waiting until January or later when I ordered in mid-October.

Now that I've laid it all out I'm curious to hear others' impressions on the matter. Between the ACC and the BA Folder I like the ACC feature set best but not being nickle and dimed for each tiny piece on the MPA (and saving $100 to get a better looking chassis) makes things feel close. Ideally I'd love to just pick a Matrix up off the rack since it has the things I want off the ACC (a longer forend) and the BA Folder (comes with extras instead of making you buy standard parts), but of course that won't happen anytime soon.

I would try to get behind them and see what’s most comfortable to you if you can!

For me I love MPA. I’ve never had to bed one, they hold zero and all of them shoot Bug holes. MPA has been great with innovation and all the features are amazing.

That being said I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those. Most important thing is what fits you!

Reactions: Jrcrowe
I've held and messed around with both the BA Folder and the MPA ACC. I do prefer the MPA vertical grip but realistically both guns are comfortable for me to get behind. I just like that the MPA has a deeper groove for your thumb to sit inside of (or a larger shelf to sit on, in the case of the Matrix).

Messing around with them was how I figured out just how crazy long the ACC forend is. If I had my bipod on a spigot mount it would legitimately be difficult to reach and adjust mid-stage if I need to move the legs one notch up or down - at least with a heavy rifle anyways.

I agree. The acc isn’t exactly the prettiest chassis from certain angles, some it’s not bad.

But I absolutely love shooting it. I like that I can move the grip way closer so I can actually get my trigger finger perpendicular to the trigger. I like the long ass full length arca rail. Get a prs memebership for 40 bucks and you can get 30% off everything so that nickel and dime shit hurts less but I got the chassis with the standard butt and their vertical grip only for 700 bucks (740 including membership fee).

I'm going thru the same decision, just curious if you considered the Wiskey 3? Is there something you didn't like about it?

I didn't realize I could get 30% off with a PRS membership, I already have one so that makes a huge difference actually.

I didn't consider the Whiskey 3 mainly because I just don't have much experience with them at all.

Reactions: RyanO7
I have two ACCs and the length of the forend and weight kits are really why.

I plan on having both dipped so they aren't so ugly.

I did have an old MPA a couple years ago that I didn't care for which turned me off of them.

I'm going thru the same decision, just curious if you considered the Wiskey 3? Is there something you didn't like about it?
Just that they're even more expensive than the ACC once you add items to get comparable features, including an Arca rail. I'd much rather have the rail be integral, and the Whiskey-3 also doesn't have the same kind of weight flexibility as the other 2. It's like the MDT nickel and diming but worse because it lacks important functionality straight out of the box.

The MPA Matrix is an awesome chassis. I wouldn't worry about the "not on the shelf yet" issue. He is cranking them out as we speak. You would get a Matrix just as fast as their orig chassis if you ordered it direct from MPA i'm sure. Now if you were buying in stock chassis from a dealer, well thats different.

I love mine. its awesome. It just feels really nice in your hand. And its solid! I like it much better than my orig MPA chassis, and I liked that a lot!!

It is a little heavier in the butt, so i'm adding the front weight kit to get it to balance the way I want. Its suttle, but I notice it.

MPA is also part of the PRS Sponsorship list and give you either 15 or 20. You just have to email them to get you added. Counts for all accessories too.

I ended up buying the used MPA folder today, admittedly in part because of the wait times associated with ordering a Matrix or ordering an MDT with a folding stock configured how I wanted.

The MDT's longer forend was a nice touch, but it was the only thing I personally felt the MDT really had going for it over the MPA BA chassis. I'm not going to make my chassis heavier than an MPA with a weight kit, and I liked the ergos and looks of the MPA over the MDT. The MPA can reach just as far out for my bipod so long as I use a spigot, and I wasn't going to use a spigot on the MDT because that felt "too long" to me because I couldn't reach out and easily adjust the bipod if needed. The used MPA folder was also still ~$100 cheaper than a similarly optioned MDT chassis even taking into account the MDT discount, so that was just icing on the cake.

The Matrix still interests me, but ultimately that was a 4-6 week wait time during which I'd miss out on a lot of opportunities to practice and prepare for next year (assuming no unexpected delays which often happen with new products). It also lacked a folding stock, something that I did strongly prefer because without a folder my rifle is, funny enough, exactly 1" too long to fit into the trunk of my car. I'd love to get my hands on a Matrix chassis later on though still, and probably would like to eventually pick up an MDT as well to compare.

One thing I'd really like to do with a Matrix chassis is order one and place a mercury tube in the circular slot in the rear of the buttstock, the area where they have an optional weight. I liked the mercury buffer tube in my XLR and I know a company that can make mercury tubes in a wide range of sizes to find one that would fit reasonably well inside that cutout.

Reactions: North Island
I ended up buying the used MPA folder today, admittedly in part because of the wait times associated with ordering a Matrix or ordering an MDT with a folding stock configured how I wanted.

The MDT's longer forend was a nice touch, but it was the only thing I personally felt the MDT really had going for it over the MPA BA chassis. I'm not going to make my chassis heavier than an MPA with a weight kit, and I liked the ergos and looks of the MPA over the MDT. The MPA can reach just as far out for my bipod so long as I use a spigot, and I wasn't going to use a spigot on the MDT because that felt "too long" to me because I couldn't reach out and easily adjust the bipod if needed. The used MPA folder was also still ~$100 cheaper than a similarly optioned MDT chassis even taking into account the MDT discount, so that was just icing on the cake.

The Matrix still interests me, but ultimately that was a 4-6 week wait time during which I'd miss out on a lot of opportunities to practice and prepare for next year (assuming no unexpected delays which often happen with new products). It also lacked a folding stock, something that I did strongly prefer because without a folder my rifle is, funny enough, exactly 1" too long to fit into the trunk of my car. I'd love to get my hands on a Matrix chassis later on though still, and probably would like to eventually pick up an MDT as well to compare.

One thing I'd really like to do with a Matrix chassis is order one and place a mercury tube in the circular slot in the rear of the buttstock, the area where they have an optional weight. I liked the mercury buffer tube in my XLR and I know a company that can make mercury tubes in a wide range of sizes to find one that would fit reasonably well inside that cutout.
Have you compared the mercury thing to just filing it with steel/lead?

Have you compared the mercury thing to just filing it with steel/lead?
I have used both the mercury buffer system and their solid buffer. It was a noticeable difference between the two, because the mercury tube prolongs the duration of the recoil making it move less but push for a bit longer essentially. The mercury is also heavier than just a solid steel buffer tube or even a lead buffer tube.