• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Looking for comments and ideas as to why I’ve had a pierced primer on a factory round.

THE Flapjack

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2019
England
The rifle is a Remington 700 VSSF with a Jard trigger but otherwise factory standard.
Calibre .17 REM
I bought the rifle new circa 2005 for what you folks would call Varmint shooting at 200-300 yds (max) and sort of zeroed it at 250 yds.
I say ‘sort of zeroed’ because I found the grouping very unsatisfactory, even at 200 yds.
My local gunsmith’s opinion was that factory ammunition (I think only Remington make was available at the time in this country) was never going to produce the results I was looking for and hand loads was the only route to take.
I used to hand load up to 1996 when ownership of hand guns was banned in this country and prior to that for my self loading rifles until they were banned in 1988. As a result I had sold all my reloading equipment.
On being told I’d have to hand load and buy new tooling, I inhibited the rifle and put it away along with 100+ Remington .17 REM 20gr Premier Accutip-V Boat Tail #PRA17RA.
Then I heard Norma had come out with a 20gr .17 REM V-Max #20143022 with good results and bought some.
De-inhibited and strip cleaned the 700 and started on the Norma .17 REM. Up until yesterday had shot 42 rounds without incident but not looking at grouping. (longer story!)
Yesterday I put a box of 20 rnds of the Remington .17 REM through and had groups as bad as I recalled ‘back in the day’. You could also argue, what do you expect from 10+ year old ammunition.
Then I started on the Norma, this time look for results. The 5th round was in the centre of what was a circa ¼ MOA group.
The 5th round was the last because when it went off, it sounded different, some thing bit my face and the bolt wouldn’t open.
I’ve ordered some shooting glasses.
I managed to open the bolt with the gun still mounted and looked at the ejected cartridge. Far right in the photo.
Looking down the neck, I can see light behind the tricorne anvil.
The photo shows a Remington case, two Norma cases and the Norma case with pierced primer. All factory ammo fired that day.
2020-05-17 09.47.59-1.jpg

I have Andy MacDonald’s ShortMarker system which gives fps at the target, The offending round 2886 fps slightly above the 2882 fps average.
I chambered another round but whilst the bolt appeared to cock normally, pulling the trigger didn’t fire the cartridge, again the bolt was stiff to open and the chambered round showed no firing pin mark.
Pulled the bolt out and nothing looked amiss.
Chambered another round with the same result.
My immediate assumption was a broken firing pin.
I’ve stripped the bolt and there’s nothing I can see wrong with it. Pin is complete.
I re-assembled the rifle and now it dry fires perfectly.
I’m not trying a live round until my glasses arrive.

So, my thoughts are:
1. The primer material was thin and the struck piece blew back out.
2. What I felt strike my face was blow-back gas and maybe very small particles.
3. The missing small piece of primer was lodged somewhere which stopped the full release of the firing pin and made the bolt difficult to open.
4. My stripping of the rifle dislodged the debris but being so small, I never saw it.

Comments please.
Jonathon

PS I have started hand loading this year for my new 338 Lapua Magnum and the kit has cost more than the rifle!

Your assumption about the missing piece of primer is most likely correct.
I can't tell you why it popped the primer, but if it's a factory load, it could have been overcharged by the machinery and made it through the system. I doubt that Norma bothers to weigh each cartridge as it passed through QC.
It doesn't take much to make a 17 caliber go over pressure.

You mentioned velocity being under 3000 fps. Why would it be that low? Even a factory Remington 20gr should break the 4000fps barrier.
You might want to try a different chronograph.

I've owned two 17 Rem rifles and still own #2.
Both shot really crappy at first. In fact, I had considered getting rid of #2 but it exhibited the same behavior as the first where it just suddenly started shooting really well. No component changes, no nothing different. It just came alive.
Maybe yours will too.

Back-calculate the muzzle velocity for the range/atmospheric conditions for the shots fired. Are they within Norma specification?

I would consider trying a different production lot of the Norma ammunition, perhaps the lot you fired is loaded beyond pressure spec. If it is, then a call to Norma may be in order.

If you are considering hand loading for .17 Remington then you can work up a suitable load.

Clean out the bolt and verify there is no debris in the mechanism and inspect the condition of the firing pin tip. It could have been flame-cut and may cause more pierced primers if not smooth and round.

What's printed on the box rarely matches actual velocities. Run it through a trajectory calculator and verify projected 'actual' velocity for sanity's sake.

Clean out the bolt and verify there is no debris in the mechanism and inspect the condition of the firing pin tip. It could have been flame-cut and may cause more pierced primers if not smooth and round.
I did that and all good.

At first I thought over pressure when I looked at the primer and then looked at a live round.
If you look at this photo, you can see that based on the primer post firing, over pressure is not an obvious reason. That's not to say it didn't occur though :)
2020-05-17 17.33.22.jpg

What's printed on the box rarely matches actual velocities. Run it through a trajectory calculator and verify projected 'actual' velocity for sanity's sake.
I also have a Labradar but sadly if finds tracking the .17 REM difficult and the ones available in the UK are the Low Power version.
I only had one capture per shot and those were at different distances.
I'm not a statistician but the little data I do have looks narrow enough and close enough to factory (albeit 2-3.5% lower) as to be of no concern at 200-300 yds
I'll try harder when I have my glasses. I have 165 rnds left.

If you intend to keep the rifle I would have the bolt face bushed this will reduce the firing pin hole and should eliminate pierced primers.

I've owned two 17 Rem rifles and still own #2.
Both shot really crappy at first. In fact, I had considered getting rid of #2 but it exhibited the same behavior as the first where it just suddenly started shooting really well. No component changes, no nothing different. It just came alive.
Maybe yours will too.
I live in perpetual hope ;-)

I did that and all good.

At first I thought over pressure when I looked at the primer and then looked at a live round.
If you look at this photo, you can see that based on the primer post firing, over pressure is not an obvious reason. That's not to say it didn't occur though :) View attachment 7328642

The over pressure spike in your case was extremely short duration because pressure went in two directions. That's why the primer looks normal other than the hole in it.
If it hadn't pierced, it would have been forced to contain the pressure and would have flattened because of it.

Reactions: THE Flapjack
I dont see swipe marks though. I'd guess too much firing pin protrusion or soft primers.

I dont see swipe marks though. I'd guess too much firing pin protrusion or soft primers.
Thanks, at the moment, given the number of Remington man'fre rounds without incident, I'm going for soft primers at the moment.
I've kept all the fired cases because I've hedged on reloading one day, so I'll have a look at them.

1) the piece of debris that ended up inside your bolt is TINY. Make sure to blow it out very well.
2) have you checked for carbon buildup in your throat? (rifles throat, not your actual throat:) )

I would measure the length of the brass with the offending primer, to see if it was a bit long.
Are you shooting suppressed? The increased pressure may have been just enough for a weak primer.

1) the piece of debris that ended up inside your bolt is TINY. Make sure to blow it out very well.
2) have you checked for carbon buildup in your throat? (rifles throat, not your actual throat:) )

I would measure the length of the brass with the offending primer, to see if it was a bit long.
Are you shooting suppressed? The increased pressure may have been just enough for a weak primer.

1) I think the tiny piece went back into the firing pin opening and that's why subsequent attempts to fire a) didn't sound right and b) didn't strike.
I'm not sure about the mechanics between a firing pin partially released and stiffness of opening of the bolt.
When I stripped the bolt, everything was degreased and then lightly re-greased. I wasn't looking for anything in the degreaser fluid and it's now gone.
2) Clean

There are 0.0005 variations in all the overall case length of the fired Norma brass I have and the Norma brass is coming up around 0.0015 shorter than the Remington fired brass.
I don't have a shoulder gauge small enough for the .17 REM
Yes, it has a .17 Wildcat moderator, designed for the .17 REM, not .17 HMR or rimfire. It's a good call but perhaps clutching at straws. I'd imaging air density would have more effect and that particular day was pretty close to ISA.

It looks a bit like the Norma /PMC Brass primers are flattened a bit and the dent in the primer is smaller than in the remington ammo.

It could be the Norma is hotter or the case was sized smaller to ensure it fit in more chambers... similar to bumping the shoulder too much

From another SH Thread on pierced primers-
#1 excessive head space/lube on cases
#2 soft primers ( try 450's )
#3 loose tolerance on firing pin
#4 weak main spring
#5 A combination of any or all of the above

Reactions: THE Flapjack
Sorry, good luck with that rifle.
I have had a couple of the exact model in 22-250 and accuracy was right with my top end custom rifles. 👍

Sorry, good luck with that rifle.
I have had a couple of the exact model in 22-250 and accuracy was right with my top end custom rifles. 👍
Same for me! My 'go to' rifle now 18-19 years old. Used to be able to get Hornady #83366 Superformance Varmint V-Max but no longer allowed to be imported in to the UK due to pressures above CIP. They were never a problem in the 700 VSSF.
My 'Varmints' are all sub 350 yds but it still gets the job done first shot so never had reason to see how the barrell's doing! If it ain't broke etc.

You shooting foxes, wildcats or?
I had some wonderful fox and wildcat shooting in Scotland years ago. Both day and night.
Learned a lot from an old Scottish game keeper. Enjoyed it far more than stags, Roebuck or pigeon shooting.

In general, can I just leave it as 'varmint' or what we call vermin :whistle::whistle:🤔
The smallest is Mink but not so many any more (we have 15 acres of Trout Lakes at home) but there are other creatures I'll label as 'vermin' re trout lakes.
Mink were why I bought the .17REM We used to cage trap them (we have dogs) but would you believe it is illegal to drown them in the cage. Mink are not indigenous to the UK but released from Mink Farms by tree huggers.

Understand. Fully. If you cannot get it worked out I have found the .204 in the same rifle to be excellent. Pretty much retired my 22-250's.

I thought I'd close this thread off because I am now as certain as I can be that the problem is the primer Norma uses in their .17 Remington ammunition.
I had my bolt completely apart, that's every single component in the bolt assembly. Nothing wrong and clean inside.
Pin nice smooth radius on the tip. Pin protrudes 0.042 (my Rem 700 22-250 protrudes 0.052) Web research gives 0.040-0.050.
Rifle chamber clean.

Today I put through 10 rounds of Remington .17 Rem AccuTip 20gr PRA17RA, no problem. Consistent primer strikes. Labradar couldn't track the .17 (only the Low Power version is allowed in the UK)
Then I tried 16 rounds of the Norma .17 Rem V-Max 20gr #20143022

Photos shows the one 'pierced' primer I had along with another Norma and a Remington fired case together with live ones of each
It's not clear in the photo but in 'pierced' primer, the material from the the 'piercing' is actually inside the primer.
In the non 'pierced'
20200723_182151.jpg
20200723_182221.jpg
Norma primer, again not clear in the photos, but material has flowed around the edge of the firing pin. Only about 0.001
There's no obvious signs of over pressure.

I then put 10 further rounds of the Remington .17 Rem through. No problems.

So, my conclusion is that Norma's primer material is soft or thin or both.
Thanks everyone for your contributions to this thread.