• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for complete upper guidance.

This can't be bad, can it?
This will get me shooting, and I can replace things like BCG, hand guard, charging handle, etc. as I go.
Edit... but then a Krieger barrel is $140 more...
Good choice.... Nothing wrong with starting mid-range... Run it hard while it is in warranty.

Reactions: Tokay444
I think you will be very happy if you go with a CLE upper. Absolutely nothing wrong with a Douglas barrel and the gun should be a proverbial tack driver. Also, looks like it's in stock. I think a lot of the options from CLE involve a pretty long wait time.

And personally, I'm a huge proponent of putting together your own lower. It allows you to spec your preferred trigger. Install an ambidextrous safety and charging handle if that is important to you. Pick your stock - Magpul CTR or STR, B5 SOPMOD, etc. depending on personal preference, or even a Magpul PRS if you want a precision rifle. Etc.

Now all that' s left is to choose your optic. But that's a different rabbit hole for you to go down.

I have a Gen II AMG UH-1 in the safe. That will suffice for now too.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Sent an email on that CLE Douglas. I need them to process my Canadian credit card. Their website isn’t setup to do it.

Boom!
A wonderful lady named Crystal (sp) was able to take my card over the phone and I got that Douglas upper.

Boom!
A wonderful lady named Crystal (sp) was able to take my card over the phone and I got that Douglas upper.
For $140 more you could get the Bartlein with the 14.6" handguard and 5/8x 24 threads.. in for a Penny, in for a Pound brother, if it was me I'd call and make the upgrade.

For $140 more you could get the Bartlein with the 14.6" handguard and 5/8x 24 threads.. in for a Penny, in for a Pound brother, if it was me I'd call and make the upgrade.
12-14 week wait.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
the larue upper isnt a bad choice either imho. https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper/ $749.

I have two, you cannot beat this upper. High quality thick walled receiver, semi monolithic design, and damn accurate barrel.

Looks like their barrels are hit or miss.

I don’t doubt that they have put out one that doesn’t shoot, but so have high quality cut rifles barrel makers. I had an AI Tooley Bartlein that grouped like a fucking shotgun. I have two Larue uppers that are ridiculously accurate and I know other people with Larue rifles and uppers that are also tack drivers. I’ve never heard of one that doesn’t shoot excellent but I’m sure there one out though, not the norm though and certainly not hit or miss.

There certainly plenty of bad around Larue, but their barrels shoot.

When you guy's speak of good performing weapons and weapon parts.... Tie in the date you bought it.
In everything mechanical, what went out the door 20 years ago was more "in spec" and built to closer tolerances that what rolls out the door today.
A lot of it starts with the quality of the base metal, the foundries and forges... and the Quality Control person
Some of it is the CNC machines coming on the scene.
The rest of it is the retirement of the old craftsmen and gunsmiths.
The world changed.

Reactions: Tokay444 and BurtG
I definitely don’t want to cheap out.
I’m reading and comparing as much as I can on BCGs right now.
What State are you in and what types of ranges do you have access?

That actually factors into how I would steer someone when looking for guidance on how to set up their AR.

PNW is a lot different than NV, which are different from New England, Florida, and the Deep South.

Biggest things are barrel length and optics.

I’m up in the mountains but in a dry climate most of the year, then tons of snow in the winter.

I have access to ranges and distances that challenge any rifle, including 20mm Lahti Anti-Tank rifles.

When I was in New England, the forests are so thick and dense that nothing more than a 12” would make sense really.

Same for the Deep South, unless there was a nearby range with distances past 500yds.

PNW was pretty thick too on the coast, but we had cool ranges on Fort Lewis you could shoot on weekends.

Will this also be for Home Defense?

Now do you see why you need 20 AR-15s?

No, I just spoke with them. The Bartlein barrels will be in next week
Fuck.
What State are you in and what types of ranges do you have access?

That actually factors into how I would steer someone when looking for guidance on how to set up their AR.

PNW is a lot different than NV, which are different from New England, Florida, and the Deep South.

Biggest things are barrel length and optics.

I’m up in the mountains but in a dry climate most of the year, then tons of snow in the winter.

I have access to ranges and distances that challenge any rifle, including 20mm Lahti Anti-Tank rifles.

When I was in New England, the forests are so thick and dense that nothing more than a 12” would make sense really.

Same for the Deep South, unless there was a nearby range with distances past 500yds.

PNW was pretty thick too on the coast, but we had cool ranges on Fort Lewis you could shoot on weekends.

Will this also be for Home Defense?

Now do you see why you need 20 AR-15s?
I’m in northern Kentucky.
Thunder Valley is 3 hours away, and I have a pal with 370 acres.

I’m in northern Kentucky.
Thunder Valley is 3 hours away, and I have a pal with 370 acres.
If you want to shoot from 200-1000yds at Thunder Valley, maybe think about a different chambering.

I’ve been shooting long range since 1995, not counting my formative years as a kid or any of the silly ranges we did in the Army in 1994 before I got into my first Recon Platoon.

I’ve been conducting DM Courses since 1996 regularly, and while you absolutely can hit steel with .223 Rem at distance, you can’t really hear it unless it’s a perfectly calm day once you start getting out past 350-400yds, and even then, it’s pretty weak on impact.

I personally would take several of my 6.5 Grendels to a range like Thunder Valley, or when shooting steel on your pal’s property. Thunder Valley appears to be close to 948ft elevation, so not too much higher than sea level. (Anyone close to there or who has shot there can pipe in for the elevation at the actual range.)

The impact you hear on steel with 6.5 Grendel is much more authoritative than anything in .224 bore, and even more audible than any 6mm I’ve spotted for over the years.

Something to think about.

I shoot my bolt guns for long range. This is a meant to me a fun gun that won’t suck, and will work when I need it, all the time, every time.

I was in a similar boat last fall - first gas gun after moving to a free state. Built a 223 wylde with a V7 lightweight barrel, and it shoots legit 1/2 moa. Liked it so much I already built a 308 to go with it, with a Proof carbon, which I have yet to break in. Point being, don't underestimate how much you may enjoy your gasser, and if well built, they will give you accuracy to overlap use roles with your bolt guns. I'm already looking sideways at 2 of my bolts that are now rather redundant.

• Haha
I'll pull a couple lines together:

1) Gun will just be used for plinking, but I don’t want it to suck in case I really need it.
2) There's no need to get anywhere close to any chinesium sketchyness either, you end up using the same shit Wilson Combat or whomever uses and slaps their "name" on before they sell it to you for double (or triple).

Now, "with that said"..........

Collect the parts you desire to build a configuration to your specifications.
While collecting, read the specs on where the parts were manufactured, read the reviews and talk first hand (like here on the board) to guys running those parts.
The world is changing faster than the human mind can process... What a guy lauds as wonderful from 10 years ago is not what you will get today. Just like cars, refrigerators and coffee makers.
Do not be afraid to pick up parts right here in the PX that some guy has sitting in his safe and gathering dust. They will be better than what Amazon offers........
Build it right. If the weapon fails and you die, you will have no one to blame but yourself.
When you get it built, run it... long and hard... See what fails or wears prematurely.

A day will come when shipping and supplies will not be available. A "Warranty" will be used to wipe your ass.

Visualize that weapon and a can of ammo being stashed away and your adult grandson needing it to defend your great grandchildren.
View attachment 8060161
Spending more money for products made in the USA shou always be our first choice.

I shoot my bolt guns for long range. This is a meant to me a fun gun that won’t suck, and will work when I need it, all the time, every time.
I reach for my BCM in that case just blasting 5.56 at close range for CQM courses and HD.

Haven’t really shot it for accuracy at distance.

Lighter guns are more fun. JPs are a totally different experience if you really want to giggle while tickling the trigger.

Try a JP with a thin barrel but heavier forend and the ventilator and a tuned gas system. They usually have huge muzzle brakes though with lots of concussion around the muzzle. The reticle just stays on target through rapid strings of fire though.

Spending more money for products made in the USA shou always be our first choice.
I agree.... The challenge is finding good base metals (stainless steel. aluminum, glass, brass and even simple A36 steel). A shop can have world class craftsmen and state of the art equipment and being forced to import inferior base material.
When was the last time you saw a tag that said "Meets or EXCEEDS manufacturer's specifications" ?
Almost daily I hear a reloader questioning the once fired brass he is using. It "acts differently" and there are reasons for that outside the domain of the shooter.
Same thing with food... Cotton seed oil is now being substituted where peanut oil was used a few years ago.
One of the largest is Mondelez International.... Notice the Double Stuffed Oreo's just don't taste the same.
The world changed.

One reason cotton seed oil is being used more is that it is non-allergenic. Nobody's throat swells shut after eating it.

Another it does not taste like a nut.

And it has a higher smoke point, 600 vs 425.

And it lasts longer.

Even though cotton seed oil is more expensive, discerning people have replaced peanut oil with it.

One reason cotton seed oil is being used more is that it is non-allergenic. Nobody's throat swells shut after eating it.

Another it does not taste like a nut.

And it has a higher smoke point, 600 vs 425.

And it lasts longer.

Even though cotton seed oil is more expensive, discerning people have replaced peanut oil with it.
Interesting that I know people, personally, who are allergic to cotton seed oil.
Cotton seed oil is cheaper than peanut oil.
Link some articles about the "discerning people" who replaced peanut oil with cotton seed oil... Should be an interesting read.

Last edited:
Seed oils are so toxic.

Seed oils are so toxic.
They were not toxic 500 years ago... All natural.
Today, the chemicals from spraying crops can not be "processed" out of those seeds.
We have no way to know what a farmer in a 3rd world country is spraying on his cotton (or any other crop)..
There is no way to track the many different oils coming into America.

I'll pull a couple lines together:

1) Gun will just be used for plinking, but I don’t want it to suck in case I really need it.
2) There's no need to get anywhere close to any chinesium sketchyness either, you end up using the same shit Wilson Combat or whomever uses and slaps their "name" on before they sell it to you for double (or triple).

Now, "with that said"..........

Collect the parts you desire to build a configuration to your specifications.
While collecting, read the specs on where the parts were manufactured, read the reviews and talk first hand (like here on the board) to guys running those parts.
The world is changing faster than the human mind can process... What a guy lauds as wonderful from 10 years ago is not what you will get today. Just like cars, refrigerators and coffee makers.
Do not be afraid to pick up parts right here in the PX that some guy has sitting in his safe and gathering dust. They will be better than what Amazon offers........
Build it right. If the weapon fails and you die, you will have no one to blame but yourself.
When you get it built, run it... long and hard... See what fails or wears prematurely.

A day will come when shipping and supplies will not be available. A "Warranty" will be used to wipe your ass.

Visualize that weapon and a can of ammo being stashed away and your adult grandson needing it to defend your great grandchildren.
View attachment 8060161
Hey man, don't knock my old ass coffee maker. That black and decker runs and runs... no matter how corse the grain :)

Hey man, don't knock my old ass coffee maker. That black and decker runs and runs... no matter how corse the grain :)
Understood... Mine is ready for morning

IMG_8293.JPG

• Love
Reactions: TheComedian