• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Looking for concealed suggestions

Ross0341

Private
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2009
NY
As of right now I have a Glock 39 45gap I have a few issues with it.

#1 It shoots like shit

#2 There is no secondary safety so I do not keep one in the chamber.. . I know ~

#3 I have a side belt concealed carrier (Galco) but its sticks out to much under my t-shirt no matter where I position it.

Right now I’m considering keeping it as a secondary. However, I’m looking for a new pistol with a secondary safety that’s small preferably a 45. Also a new concealment holster that I can actually conceal… I’m not pistol savvy and I don’t follow the new products any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Looking for concealed suggestions

Smith and Wesson M&P - Ultralight 38 Special revovler

Galco summer special inside the pant holster. you will never know its there.

Thats my go to rig in the summer. In the winter. I wear my Glock in a blackhawk SERPA holster.

Just curious as to why you want a secondary safety. Glocks are hard to beat, and they are striker fired. The striker is not under tension. perfectly safe to keep loaded.

The answer to most of your problems are proper training with your CURRENT handgun.

1. I have never seen a Glock that doesn't shoot. 99.9% of the time it's operator error.

2. That is DEFINITELY a training issue. A Glock in a proper holster is no more dangerous than a 1911 when carried with a round in the chamber.

3. You need a new holster.

I have a G26 that was my usual summer carry in a Desantis Cozy Partner IWB. I can conceal it with a t-shirt and cargo shorts. I am a fan of Galco leather, but you need to try a couple different models out and see what works best.

I currenly carry a Colt Combat Commander because I figured out that I can conceal a fullsize combat pistol without much problem. It's also easier to conceal two spare mags for the 1911 than for the G26.

And it appears you already know that the ONLY way to carry a combat pistol is with a round in the chamber. Otherwise you will be giving away your pistol in a gunfight. Any time I have had to draw my weapon it's been at full speed, and there would not have been any time to rack the slide. Anytime anyone talks about an "Israeli Draw" or some nonsense you can pretty much assume that they have not been professionally instructed or have any real experience fighting with a pistol.

If you decide to go to a 1911, assume that you will spend at least $1K to get one that is reliable enough for daily carry. Plan on spending even more on ammo to train to that system. The 1911 is not forgiving for novices.

I recently bought a Glock 23 and was looking around for a good IWB holster. I bought Comp-tac M-tac and received it a few days ago. Very nice IWB holster, it was highly recommended everywhere I looked with positive reviews. I am pleased with it. Easy to conceal, comfortable.

Alan

I carry a .45 kimber ultra in a comp-tac ctac and sometimes I forget is there, I Used ro carry a g-23 but it felt too bulky if i'm wearing just a short and a tac shirt I just put my naa .22 mag in my pocket.

Thanks guys, I'm going to do a little research of the sidearms you have posted. Its much appreciated, Thank you, feel free to keep them coming.

Lonewolf- idk about shooter error, Its possible I guess but I'd put my money on the fixed night sights. I cant seem to get it to shoot true no matter how I adjust the rear sight with brass. I should of forked out for adjustable. I never had any issues with the 1911 or Beretta 9m in the past, military wise.

As for not having that secondary safety, I don't like the probability of a negligent discharge-(The mental block for me, its just preference).

You have to remember that with the compact's it's a whole lot easier to induce operator error.

If it's the sights you should have some nice tight groups, just not on POA. If that's the case, then take it to a smith and have him fix it.

I know that I can hit a 80 yard gong 9/10 with my G26 when I am just screwing around, so it is possible to get good accuracy out of these little guns.

I recently switched from carrying a Glock 26 (sub-compact) to a full size 1911. The difference in comfort is pretty amazing. For me, that square Glock profile just isn't long-term comfortable.....and I like a visible hammer and external safety. But that's just me.

If you go the 1911 route, you don't need to spend a grand for one to be reliable.

There are several choices that are lighter, easier to conceal and have the same stopping power as what I carry. The drawback is, switching to another weapon would take me years to reach the same degree of competency and familiarity. When I decided to carry, I found it difficult to conceal without printing or looking as if I was packing. Rather than switch weapons, I spent a little time and found what worked with my body and choice of firearms.

Glocks don't work for everyone (no natural POA in my hand), the 1911 isn't for every shooter and some guys are more proficient with revolvers. Doesn't matter how cutting edge or high speed, low drag a handgun is if you can't shoot it well.

If you'r ejust starting out ignore the above.

I know that it does not fall within the perameters you described, but I would suggest a S&W J- Frame (M&P 340 is my choice) in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster. Jeans, cargo pants, shorts, Speedo(if you could find one with a pocket), don't matter what you wear, it dissappears and you will forget you have it(but don't).

18ssp

LoneW - pretty much laid it out in his first post.

Regarding safeties and 'shooting like shit':

- Is there anyone around you (individual or club) that can give you some instruction? Would you consider taking some dedicated carry pistol training - specifically geared toward working from the holster?

- Short of that there are some books and vids that many of us can suggest.

- Dry fire - just like with your rifle if you want to be good with a HG, dry fire and be able to call your shots. One of my favorites is a variation on a drill called El Presidente. I just call it '3 Hat'. Randomly place 3 baseball hats around the house and use the logos as POA. MSU training (make shit up) - some runs are just like an El Presidente, others are on the move only, partially obscured, tac order, whatever. The whole point is to always be working on your chops. Dress just like you would carry, all draws are from concealment, practice your reloads on every run. See the FS each time, call your shots. Trust me - you play that game for 5 - 10 minutes every day for 6 months, you won't feel like you do in your OP. Play that game every day for 12 months and you won't care if someone hands you a Raven deuce deuce (insert POS here), you know you'll score the hits and make the reload without ever looking at the magwell. Special note on safety - since one of your concerns is related to not having an external safety - you need to remind yourself your brain is the only real safety. Thus every time you clear the leather - consciously think about making sure your trigger finger is straight on the frame just above the trigger guard. Once sights are on POA, place the pad of the index finger on the trigger and then with a smooth squeeze break the shot and be able to call it. Standard caveats apply - confirm the weapon is unloaded and do not have live ammo around when you are doing this.

This will get you up and running accurately, safely, and providing that you are properly instructed or read some good books (watch some good vids) you'll get the basics down very well over 6 - 12 month period if you really do this daily for 5 - 10 minutes. Then start reading (asking questions) about how to go faster, or what is a better way based on a given situation.

Holsters - very personal things; and many folks have a drawer full of them. If you haven't already, solicit opinions of comfortable rigs based on your use (range / comp / carry) and your gun type. Then cruise the various forums and buy a used one if you can. I myself am a giant Milt Sparks fan. Also, for carry (unless your really fat) it is generally best (for not printing) to carry with an inside the waist holster - buy a good one - you pay for comfort. Take some cues on how to dress - IWB, you may need to go up a size on your pants - when you buy new pants take your rig with you and try it all on together; buy a good sturdy 1.5" wide belt - b/c the wider the better, but not as many pants manufacturers of day to day pants make their pants with loops for 1.75". (Hint until you buy a good belt, a leather tool belt from Lowes is a cheap alternative and if you die them and change the buckle they are acceptable looking); over garments - long story made short - avoid 'shoot me first vests' and learn to draw from your day to day shirts and coats which you will buy a little big and a little long.

If you just gotta have a new gun - I get that, and have fun shopping. Otherwise, a bit of training, a new holster, and a good bit of work - your world will turn.

Good luck

Ken Null in Resaca , GA , is a master in concealment leather - since the 70s . He has a website ... Lou Alessi was excellent , may he RIP . No word if someone will pick up the business ...

I have a Kimber 1911 in the sub compact size. Went with Kimber due to the lesser weight compaired to the others. Paid like 675.00 NEW. Tell you what though couldn't be happier with it. Shoots AWESOME and can carry it like nothings there. About the hat thing... I do something very simular to that and it does wonders to your draw!

I agree that striker-fired pistols without redundant safeties can be carried safely with training. One issue, however, with Glocks and the like can arise when folks don't pay attention and manage to get a shirt tail or jacket drawstring entangled in the grigger guard when reholstering. A loud noise can result.

The Glocks are at their best in 9mm for reliability/durability/shootability, and the Glock 19 is tough to beat as a universal handgun. As mentioned, however, I've found it to be on the fat side for inside-waistband carry as compared to a slimmer 1911.

The newer S&W M&P pistols are very impressive and can be had with a thumb safety. The M&P45C is roughly the same overall size as a Glock 19.

The HK45C is also getting good reviews.

I have no problem concealing a full-size 1911 IWB in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II under an untucked t-shirt, though the weight gets a bit tiresome on long days.

HK 45c or uspc.If you want a .45, I dont carry a .45 daily, I find the 9mm much easier to carry either my kahr PM9 or HK p2000sk you may want to look at the 9mm-40 cal for a easy to pack auto.

<span style="font-size: 11pt"> <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">The 45C M&P kicks ass. Grab one and never look back. Gone are the Glock's, all of them.</span> </span>

I absolutley hate glocks. I have tried to like them, but every one I have had shoots like shit. They just do not fit me. I have developed muscle memory and shoot instinctively now (don't have to use the sights anymore) and glocks grip angle is horible.

It boils down to what is most comfortable for you. Some like glocks, many think they are supposed to like glocks. But, they are not for everybody.

That being said, having complete confidence in your carry gun is extremely important. If you need it, you absolutly can not second guess it, that could get you killed. Get one that you are comfortable with and you KNOW you can use effectively.

I shot 1911s and S&W 25-2s for years, mostly in IPSC competition. I love the tuned triggers on the match pistols I had. But since the lawsuits in the mid 1980s I have carried nothing but a glock 30 in 45acp and factory loads.

I really hated the dreadful trigger pull when I first started shooting a Glock. But my pistolsmith showed me a few tricks. You can find all kinds of hints on the internet. I can truthly say I have weighed the triggers on almost a dozen Glocks. All but 2 broke at 5 1/4 pounds. Those two had been altered for competition.

Personally I use a GALCO Royal Guard small of the back inside the belt holster. But to each his (or her) own.

Good luck with your choices.

you might try the kangaroo holster highly concealable but slow draw. looks comfortable

I think the only problem with your current selection is the caliber.

A Glock 19 or 23 would be fine.

For dressier clothing where a shirt might be tucked, a small .22lr like the Bobcat from Beretta is easily dropped in a pocket.

You really do not have a justifiable gain going with a smaller Glock 26/27 over the 19/23.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 667</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-size: 11pt"> <span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'">The 45C M&P kicks ass. Grab one and never look back. Gone are the Glock's, all of them.</span> </span> </div></div>

I love the M&P, but the compact is just too small for my taste, even with the extended baseplate.

That's why I carry a Glock 19 and the M&P stays at home unless I'm going to a comp.

"The answer to most of your problems are proper training with your CURRENT handgun"

BINGO

Carrying a glock with a round chambered is a liability without a manual safety, and that could be extended to revolvers as well. Without some kind of retention holster anyone can attempt to reach for your pistol and fire off a shot with no training whatsoever. Not everyone knows about beavertails, manual safetys and their locations, etc. like what would be found on a CZ-75, a Beretta 92, 1911's, XD's, etc. and without training would not be able to disengage safteys and fire shots in the amount of time it would take with a double action revolver or a glock in a IWB or paddle without a retention strap. However this is extended from my personal preference to pistols with manual safetys in the 1911 pattern, so take it for what its worth.

I have a Colt XSE Commander that I reworked to suit me as a carry gun. It will ride in a Kramer FBI cant side scabbard very well. All that and I still carry my Glock 19. I have all but given up on the 1911 for carry. I still have 2 and they are by far my most favorite handgun to shoot. Day in and Day out goes to the Glock 19.
I have to agree with LW on one thing, I wish I had went light wieght commander.

Woo, handguns arguement! I'm jumping in:

No Glocks shoot. Most are accurate enough for combat. But none are shooters like an STI, etc. Not even the 34's et al.

A Glock will fire if you pull the trigger - it doesn't care if it's you or the guy that just took your gun off of you. Your Colt 1911 will not let anyone shoot it without the thumb safety disengaged. There are documented cases of this saving the lives of LEO's, according to some of the rag writers.

Isarali's are known for carrying their handguns unchambered. They see more combat than most of us will.

WYK
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The answer to most of your problems are proper training with your CURRENT handgun.

1. I have never seen a Glock that doesn't shoot. 99.9% of the time it's operator error.

2. That is DEFINITELY a training issue. A Glock in a proper holster is no more dangerous than a 1911 when carried with a round in the chamber.

3. You need a new holster.

I have a G26 that was my usual summer carry in a Desantis Cozy Partner IWB. I can conceal it with a t-shirt and cargo shorts. I am a fan of Galco leather, but you need to try a couple different models out and see what works best.

I currenly carry a Colt Combat Commander because I figured out that I can conceal a fullsize combat pistol without much problem. It's also easier to conceal two spare mags for the 1911 than for the G26.

And it appears you already know that the ONLY way to carry a combat pistol is with a round in the chamber. Otherwise you will be giving away your pistol in a gunfight. Any time I have had to draw my weapon it's been at full speed, and there would not have been any time to rack the slide. Anytime anyone talks about an "Israeli Draw" or some nonsense you can pretty much assume that they have not been professionally instructed or have any real experience fighting with a pistol.

If you decide to go to a 1911, assume that you will spend at least $1K to get one that is reliable enough for daily carry. Plan on spending even more on ammo to train to that system. The 1911 is not forgiving for novices. </div></div>

After trying out a few, the comp tac holsters have ended up on all my glocks. The adjustable kydex retention lets you put enough preasure on the handgun to pretty much eliminate any possibility of accidential withdrawl. As for the handgun debate, I don't really want to get involved, but have scene no real reason to own anything other than glocks. They are economical, functionable, and more accurate than me. Adding aftermarket sights is a big upgrade from the factory offering... Warren Tactical straight eights is what have worked for me. Are there perhaps better options out there? Maybe so, but I just haven't scene the need as what I have works good enough. In my mind, a $500 G19 + $120 aftermarket sights + 150 Holster, Belt and mag holster, + extra mags and ammo is about the best possible way out there to spend a grand on a handgun.

With that said, shoot the one you got.

I have 2 Glocks and bunch of other pistols that garner considerably more pride of ownership. But guess what I almost always have at hand- yep, a Glock 19 or 36.

My brother Slickrick and I both have the 19 and were talking last night about how we are not enamored by the 9mm, but the concealable package and reliability make us like the 19. We both shoot the 19 well and feel comfortable with it.

One day I will probably go back to one of my mid-size 1911's, but for now, the Glocks are always close by.

As for holsters, I am a Kramer Leather man. I love the looks of them, the workmanship, and do not find the price exhorbitant. Having said that, I usually carry my Glocks in the company's $10 belt slide. It looks like poop, but fills the bill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WYK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Woo, handguns arguement! I'm jumping in:

No Glocks shoot. Most are accurate enough for combat. But none are shooters like an STI, etc. Not even the 34's et al.</div></div>

Baloney

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A Glock will fire if you pull the trigger - it doesn't care if it's you or the guy that just took your gun off of you. Your Colt 1911 will not let anyone shoot it without the thumb safety disengaged. There are documented cases of this saving the lives of LEO's, according to some of the rag writers.
</div></div> Iffy, at best

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Isarali's are known for carrying their handguns unchambered. They see more combat than most of us will.

</div></div>

That still doesn't make it the best way for regular folks.

Nevertheless, get what you are comfortable with. I have a few Glocks, they shoot well enough to accomplish what I carry them for and that's all that's important.

I worked for at a gun shop and we had a huge demand for CCW hand guns and unfortunetly the Glock 39 was not a hot seller. Mainly due to the expensive ammo, not to forget the ammo is almost impossible to find at most department stores such as walmart. Another fault of this caliber was if there is ever a national desaster or invasion this caliber will not be a priority sine our Military and Natl. Guard do not use that caliber. So if you really like that caliber you will go broke for buying a surplus of ammo for that cal. or you will have a expensive paper weight when they come breaking in your door to take your firearms. My sugestion is to stay with Glock,Sig, Kimber,Springfield, etc... and get a cal. that the US military use.

Glocks will shoot every bit as good as any STI. The guys at SJC have a G17 they built for Bianchi Cup that will shoot an inch at 50 yards. I've shot my stock G17 and managed to knock over steel plates at 220 yards. One of the demos I do when working with problem shooters is to shoot a 12x12 plate at over 100 yards with a G17. Kind of hard to say they won't shoot well enough to qualify when the gun will shoot 100% from four times the range of the qual.

The little subcompacts are even more accurate than the full size guns, mechanically. They are a little tricky with the shorter sight radius, but they are wicked accurate with training.

If you're not comfortable with the round in the chamber they are not for you though.

I have a Colt Defender. It's a great CCW. Very thin. I also have a Glock 30. The only problem that I have with the Glock is that it is a little wider then the 1911. Both shoot great. It depends on what kind of mood I'm in.

Here we go with yet another "here is my favorite handgun" thread. You received some great advice here, LoneWolf and I normally see eye to eye and there are some other smart guys here as well that have given some sound advice. Here is what I see as a summary of this advice amid the "My favorite gun" rhetoric.

1. Shoot as many different guns as you can to see which one fits your hand, point of aim etc.

2. Practice with the one you will carry, a lot. Shoot it from the ground, shoot it weak hand and strong. Shoot the piss out of it.

3. If you intend to change your life (no this is not an Obama pitch) and carry concealed, then your holster drawer will look like your wife's shoe closet. I don't know why, its just the way it is. Don't feel bad about it, just accept it. Also, understand that as you ask folks what holster to buy, that there recommendation is good "FOR THEM" my business partner loves the Milt Sparks IWB, I am a bit bigger than he and prefer the comp tac paddle line of holsters. First decide what type than experiment with the brand.

4. Practice.

5. Here is something to consider, reputable handgun manufacturers, or at least their lawyers, would not let them sell unsafe guns or guns with inadequate safeties. Glocks are just as safe as kimbers and revolvers are just as safe as autos. If you have a safety issue, you have a training issue. refer to number 4.

6. Practice.

7. Here is a wild card, Consider a S&W 3" model 65 or even a model 13 (The Old FBI Revolver)or a 67 or ruger or even a taurus variant of the above. They go off every time, you can practice cheap w/ .38's and can carry the .357 (Still need to shoot the 357 some in practice though) The stainless will resist rust better than a blued gun.

My $ .02 (again) but I have trained 100s of women to shoot and carry concealed and hundreds of military and LE guys in my days of yore. These principles I have listed above still hold true.

Oh yea, one more thing, practice.

Ok so on father day I got a few hundred rounds and me and the old man played 5 Card stud poker from 15-20yards with the Glock 39.

As much as I thought it was gun error, Lonewolf you were right, I figured out how to shoot it accurately. It was a matter of eye relief and kicked the old mans ass after we tied. With the remaining 6rounds(3shots each) got 3Jacks.

I ended up compromising on the caliber and ended up picking the Kel Tec P3AT 380. as my summer carry after holding many of the pistols listed here. Here is a pic, I have a wallet holster and a inside belt holster en-route.

Thanks for the suggestions.

142qyk9.jpg

Oh... It cocks as you pull the trigger, ease of mind achieved
wink.gif

IMHO, the best concealed weapons system is the HK P-7 PSP with the sqeeze cocker.....I have carried mine for some 30 years . Being small, light and quite accurate it leaves almost nil printing .........except on what you are aiming at.
Drawback to some is it is 9mm, but with the right rounds and on target and short distance it will leave its mark.

Glocks are reliable but the grip is shaped like it was made for a deformed human hand or that of an Orangutan. Really dumb idea.
The focus is incapacitation of another human. Often a TAZER would be better. I know; it ain't nearly as cool.

Id also look into an HK USPC in 45 if you are dead set on getting a ccw other than your glock. I personally dont like glocks, but can attest to the fact that they are indeed a great concealed carry weapon.

18ssp, I think you did the right thing. Go out a shoot as many as you can, get some training and go from there. If a 30-year veteran tells you he absolutely stands by "X" gun but it doesn't fit YOU, what's the point? I'm in the same boat and will be going to the range and shooting as many as I can. Good luck!

As a cop and a Soldier, I am partial to 9mm +p+. I am also a die hard fan of Sig Sauer. So I am not here to bash on other guns but shot a sig and see what you are missing. As for a good conceal and carry, I recommend the sig 229 in 9mm. If you are not into light rails and other toys, older Sig 229s and even sig 228s are out there for around 500-700 used. The rails seem to be all the rage so lots of owners are selling their older non-rail guns. The mags are around 40.00 and easy top find. As for the safety issue. I have always felt a safety is a liability. The sig like other guns has a trigger safety bar that prevents the firing pin from going forward unless the trigger is pulled. Like most Semi autos today, you can get it in single action/ double action, double action only and sig now has the double action keller which evens out the trigger pull a little bit better than double action only. In fact the USCG just picked the 229 DAK in 40 for their standard side arm. The 229 is a wonderful shooting gun that has been used by most of the worlds best. and its concealable. Just 2 cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FALCON1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> IMHO, the best concealed weapons system is the HK P-7 PSP with the sqeeze cocker.....I have carried mine for some 30 years . Being small, light and quite accurate it leaves almost nil printing .........except on what you are aiming at.
Drawback to some is it is 9mm, but with the right rounds and on target and short distance it will leave its mark. </div></div>

1+, and then some. No chance of AD (since safety is your concern); slim chance of a 5 year old even being able to fire it. I agree its "small" as in thin profile but not as light as a lot of polymer guns, much heavier than a Glock, SpringfieldXD, Kahr, but lighter than a 1911. If you want same design w/more kick, go with HKP7M10 (shoots the .40) or if need more than 8+1 the HKP7M13 provides high cap 9mm. Plus, if gets into the we a few wrong hands chance are it will take a few moments to figure out how to use it - rumor has it that once saved a female NJ LE's life. Only downside - pain to clean.

I'm not a big guy but I can carry a G19 in a Threat Solutions UCR holster under a tee shirt with no problem. The UCR is very comfortable and I can slide it slightly forward and if a bump shows it looks like a phone (phone in pocket). In the Winter I carry a Kimber full size series one stainless in a Summer Special or M&P 45. All my carry guns have Heinie Straight eight night sights.

When I consider a handgun for personal defense there are things that I take into consideration:

1. Is the weapon reliable?

2. Does it fit my hand well?

3. Is it a decisive caliber? (I'm not getting into that argument, but 38, 357, 9mm, .40, .45, .41 and .44 fit my bill)

4. Ammunition availablity/ cost?

5. Availability of GOOD carry leather

I carry Glocks daily with a round in the chamber and have no problems with them. But this may not be for you. I would look at the XD or 1911. Both have secondary safeties with the XD being passive (grip safety). It seems that you will have more options as far as size and features with the 1911, just make sure that you get one that is reliable. There are plenty of holster makers who produce excellent carry rigs for the 1911. Milt Sparks Summer Special comes to mind as that is what I use.

All of that being said, you should take a defensive handgun class from a competant reputable instructor like Randy Cain, Louis Awerbuck, Clint Smith or the like. You will learn much more about yourself and what works in this training environment.