• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for decent bolt action .308 with scope for around $1000...What options?

Grizzdude

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 2, 2011
sites.google.com
I'm helping out a friend decide on what .308 bolt gun to get. He's looking to spend around $800-$1000 for the whole rig scope included. So far he has been eying the Mossberg ATR™ Night Train Mossberg & Sons | 27202 what do you guys think? Are there better options at this price range? Thanks for any advise!

I would look into a Rem 700 of some sorts like an SPS tactical or Varmit or used better model and then a Bushell tactical 3200 10x or a Super Sniper 10x or close. You can do good things with those components. And with that setup you have many options to upgrade down the road.

Savage is worth a look too.

Good luck and glad to hear your helping a guy out

I agree. Get a savage 10, win 70 stealth, or a R700 SPS varmint and put a Bushnell, SWFA SS, or a millett up top. That'll be his best bet for a setup in that range.

I favor the Howa 1500's. Have one in .223 & .308. Both are shooters. Can get them as a package deal, although the scope isn't the greatest it will get you started. I put the SWFA SS fixed 10 on the .308 and lovin it as well.

You plan on upgrading in the feature or changing out stuff on the rifle? Your rifle will be a Remington 700 SPS Varmint or SPS Tactical if you want the shorter barrel. Lots of parts for these rifles its not even funny. The second choice would be a Savage 10. For scope I would take a look at a 10x SWFA. Reason #1 30mm tube lots of adjustment travel. #2 good glass for the money. # Made in Japan and durable for the amount you spend. Hard to beat. There are others out there but I have used the SWFA's in all sorts of models and can say they do their job when put to the task.

SWFA will have their tax day specials next week. Pick up one of those with rings, a Savage 10, weaver base, and go shoot.

You can get a remington 700 sps varmint in 308 for $500 after rebate.
As stated, the SWFA is a fine scope on a budget.

Varmint will limit bullet weight a bit, but unless shooting longer ranges it probably will not hold you back.

Tikka T3 with a good fix 10x scope. You can get them under $1K, Or get a good used scope.

If you can ever find a Tikka T3 Scout CTR with 20" Heavy Barrel .308 then it'll be the best Factory Bolt gun you can find under $1k Bar None. If not then try to look for a Remington 700 5R Mil Spec in the For Sell Section. I see them for sell under $1k all the time.

I just went down the route of the Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308. 26" Heavy barrel and 1 in 12. Stock leaves everything to be desired, but I'm slowly building it up