• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Looking for down pants for glassing/spotting

lr123

Private
Minuteman
Nov 20, 2017
IN
I am looking to add a pair of down pants for glassing to my pack this year. So far I am considering the KUIU and stone glacier pants. Has anyone compared these two pants? Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

Any primaloft pant with a good thick fill will be good. Look for one that has reinforced knee areas.
I don’t wear these in any but the coldest weather. I use a us mil wool blanket and it works great.

Pull the trigger on the kuiu super down pro pants (and jacket). You won’t regret it. I have had first lite, and while its really good, I can say KUIU is unmatched, especially in regard to the warmth and performance of their down products.

Reactions: lr123
Personally as someone who spent quite a bit of time in the backcounty and high alpine in the winter, I would not go with down. In my experience Primaloft has no equal even down to performance when it counts. Sitting, kneeling, laying on the ground in winter, things get wet no matter what.

If you are going to drop the nuggets on Kuiu, then get Wild Things. Also in my experience, WT has no equal.

Stone Glacier has Pertex shell that in my experience is the top shelf fabric.

Other options would be Mountain Hardwear Compressor, sold tons of these at half the cost of Kuiu and Stone Glacier. Very warm.

Black Diamond belay pant also half the cost.

If your want down, RAB argon pant, also half the cost.

Personally as someone who spent quite a bit of time in the backcounty and high alpine in the winter, I would not go with down. In my experience Primaloft has no equal even down to performance when it counts. Sitting, kneeling, laying on the ground in winter, things get wet no matter what.

If you are going to drop the nuggets on Kuiu, then get Wild Things. Also in my experience, WT has no equal.
What WT pants would you suggest?

Warmest pants I ever worn.

What WT pants would you suggest?

Reactions: disla82 and lr123
Another vote for KUIU super down puffys. They are incredibly light, and pack down great. Which if you are packing them only for glassing, they saved almost 8 ounces over other brands I looked at.

Down warmth with multi layer gore-tex for keeping dry.
I have to say I have been extremely impressed with the quality of the Sitka gear I have purchased so far. That said I haven’t paid anywhere near retail for it and won’t.

Another vote for Kuiu super down. Weight and warmth are outstanding. I have the older "non-pro" version and they are fantastic. I use as undergarment with protective layer (rain or other pants) on the outside. If you can wait, keep track of the outlet and you can find them on sale for a decent discount.

Just a dumb question... Where will your location be, terrain, temperature, hiking distance, etc?

Thanks,

Hobo
Location and terrain will depend on the state I’m hunting but I’m hoping to hunt Wy, MT,CO, and ID in the next few years. While hiking I will be wearing an outer shell layer without the puffy pants underneath.

Also use a closed cell foam pad. It will protect you from the ground while standing, sitting, kneeling, prone and glassing, I never leave home without one 12 months a year. Don't really wet out. Punch a small hole in a corner, reinforce the area with duct tape, run a loop of P cord and use a tent stake or something to secure it if the wind blows just incase you get up.

Another option Vs high loft puffy pant is a bivy liner. Used in conjunction with a foam pad, I have used this combo with great success in Alaska backcountry.

Always hike cold. I made my clients shiver before starting out for the day.

As far as an outer shell, legs not much of an issue but on your upper body core, do not wear WB hard shell, there is no such thing. Wear a soft shell. Its all I wore year round pants and jacket. For stationary in driving rain/snain, a super light super cheap coated poncho/shell.

Location and terrain will depend on the state I’m hunting but I’m hoping to hunt Wy, MT,CO, and ID in the next few years. While hiking I will be wearing an outer shell layer without the puffy pants underneath.

Warmest pants I ever worn.

I have the complete set of this including the booties and the gloves. These things will keep you warm in negative temperatures. However I am not too sure about using these in any terrain where they can get caught up on something. In the Corps we use them as a sleeping system. We call them the happy suit.