• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for DTA 308 covert loads

lanwickum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2004
Middle of nowere, MT
Been trying to get my DTA 308 covert to shoot better. I have one load with 210 bergers it really likes. Problem is they long enough I can't mag feed them. I finally found some 175smk and hope they work. I just got some 168smk in today. I also have 155 lapua, 175 berger OTM, some other random bullets.

I have some subsonic loads I am happy with, just want a good full power load now.
Any one got some good loads for this barrel setup.

Lots of 175 smk and 178 amax through my 16 inches. 43g varget gets mid 2400s here. Shoots very well and has printed fist sized groups quite a few times at 500 yards. I did not do anything fancy with oal really either. Lapua brass and CCI standards.

What powders are you working with?

I had a small amount of varget I was playing with, ran out of it again. Been using Winchester 748. I have about 20 diffrent powders, most are more for the 30-06 calibers. Probably because I hardly ever shoot those anymore. 308, 223, and 7WSM are about all I shoot now.
Tried the 168SMK earlier with 44.5 W748 CCI BR2 primmers. They may have promise. Measured about .75moa in my scope at 112 yards, happens to be were I stepped my target out to.
I shoot from office/reloading room window. I can try lots of things fairly quickly.

Update, trying to keep this alive. I tried some x-terminator. Fired 4 rnds and had 1 raggedy hole. Tested 4 rnds with magnetspeed and had sd of 5, speed of 2642fps avg. This was with 168SMK at 2.8" OAL. I may play with this a bit more.

Tried the load at 765yards and had 5 out 5 hits on steel, all appeared to hit same area. Didn't drive out to it and it wasn't freshly painted. Used AP calculator. Velocity must be correct. I may have to put fresh paint on the steel and see how it really does. Wind today is 5-10 mph so I may have to wait for another day.

168SMK
2.8" OAL
42.5 x-terminator
CCI BR2 primmer
'75 LC brass trimmed and annealed
2642fps
from 16" 8 twist covert barrel