• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for family o Staff Sgt. Angel Saez-Ramirez

Polytrauma

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2006
Sunshine State
Need help locating family members of Staff Sgt. Angel Saez-Ramirez.

www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/purple-heart-war-documents-found-foreclosed-house/nFbr2/

Post Commander

VFW Post 5533 - Dahlonega/Lumpkin Co.

[email protected]

Purple heart, war documents found in foreclosed house

DAWSONVILLE, Ga. —
Medals and decorations belonging to a soldier killed in Vietnam more than 40 years ago were found in a foreclosed house in Dawsonville and now the commander of the local Veterans of Foreign Wars post is trying to find that soldier's family.

"This stuff doesn't belong being tossed aside like it’s trash," said former Army Sgt. Michael McMahon, who is post commander for the Dahlonega-Lumpkin County VFW Post. "I simply would be sickened if I lost this kind of documentation."

The documentation is remarkable. It belongs to the family of Staff Sgt. Angel Saez-Ramirez and shows he died a hero while trying to save the lives of the men in his platoon when they were ambushed in Vietnam in 1967. The box contained his Bronze Star with Valor device certificate along with his Purple Heart. It also contained a letter of condolence from the White House and the Army Chief of Staff, old photos of Saez-Ramirez and of what appears to be his widow and children accepting the posthumous Purple Heart.

"Any serviceman who is willing to write a blank check, make it payable to the United States of America and its citizens, payable up to the amount including their life, is a hero," said McMahon.

McMahon told Channel 2’s Richard Elliot a Dawsonville real estate agent contacted him last Friday when the box was discovered in a foreclosed home they were cleaning for sale. The agent didn't know what to do with it, so he contacted the post commander to see if he could help find Saez-Ramirez's family.

"I'm hoping that the people that had this stuff just didn't realize they left it behind," said McMahon. "I want them to come forward to get this stuff because this stuff is stuff that we should treasure because this gentleman was an American hero."

Records show Saez-Ramirez's family lived in Columbus, Ga., just outside Fort Benning in 1967, but they could've moved to the Dawson County area.

"This gentleman was a father, a husband. He was a son. He was a father, somebody that lived in the area," said McMahon. "I just want to make sure it gets back to them."

If you have information please send an email to:

Michael McMahon

Post Commander

VFW Post 5533 - Dahlonega/Lumpkin Co.

[email protected]