• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for feedback on your folding stock/chassis

NHPiper

Tactical Bagpiper
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 17, 2017
    Concord, NH
    Putting together a compact bolt build. Will have a 16” 308 carbon fiber barrel in a R700 pattern action.

Looking at price and weight, it looks like the KRG Whiskey 3, Magpul Pro 700, Manners T2A or T4A folder (preferably mini chassis), etc.

All of these are in the 5lbs range and around $1000, except for the Magpul Pro 700 which I can’t get wholesale for around $700.

Any experiences, good or bad, with these systems or recommendations for other options?

Reactions: 83Scout
    I own a KRG Whiskey 3. It's built like a tank and feels very solid open or closed. The first niggle is that due to it folding opposite the bolt handle it makes the folded gun fairly "thick" if you are trying to fit it into a short narrow case. At the moment I carry it to the range unfolded and just fold it for cleaning (easier access to the action from the rear) or put it in the gun safe. The second niggle is that there is a very small protrusion on the bottom front end of the forend that slightly interferes with my Area419 ARCA rail. It doesn't make the rail unusable but it doesn't lay completely flat.

Overall I enjoy mine and do not regret purchasing it at all. I expect this will be with me for a very very long time.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback! I have read that the Manners gets thicker when folded but didn’t know that about the KRG. I’m not too concerned with fitting it in a scabbard, it is more likely to be strapped or folded into a case or car.

I have a Pro 700 and it's very solid when unfolded. The grip adjustment is very nice as well to get your trigger reach dialed in.

I've been running PDC Custom chassis for a few years now. I've run folding stocks on all of my centerfire chassis, and I've been really happy with them. The hinge is solid, it locks both folded and extended, and there's a tension adjustment screw in the hinge so you can tweak how tight it locks up. For your uses, I'd say take a look at the Gen5 model (non-competition version), as it's a shorter handguard (your 16" barrel should clear it), a little lighter weight, but keeps the Arca and Anschutz rails of the Competition model.

I have a Manners TF3A with mini chassis and it's a great stock. It locks open solid and no play. I have used it on a few different rifles from a Vudoo .22 to my .308 where it sits now. Can't say enough good things about it.

WPKnXFm.jpgWPX2aksy.jpgumC3brY.jpgIMG_1485.JPG

Reactions: NC-K9
    I have the Magpul Pro 700 and really like it. The build quality is excellent. The folding mechanism is very solid and folds over the bolt for a fairly thin package. It comes with two grips, one at an AR15 angle and one straight. Both adjust forward and backward to get the perfect trigger pul. The stock is very adjustable also. The cheek riser moves up and down and forward and backward. The butt pad moves in, out, up, down and left and right. The chassis is covered in a pleasing to the touch plastic coating, not bare metal. There is a ton of M-lock area. I couldn't be happier with it.
    fullsizeoutput_6fa.jpeg

I just picked up an xlr envy folder. I was very impressed with the value. the folding joint on the xlr locks up tighter than a snare drum, and opens smooth as silk.

Reactions: XLR Industries
    Thanks for the feedback! I have read that the Manners gets thicker when folded but didn’t know that about the KRG. I’m not too concerned with fitting it in a scabbard, it is more likely to be strapped or folded into a case or car.
    Could always take the bolt out if you’re case has a zipper pouch to put it in. Walla no more fat folded rifle.

I'd recommend taking a look at XLR too. The new Element 3.0 could even save you a bunch of weight with the magnesium, or save money and go with the aluminum version.

Last edited:
    If nothing else, it is nice to have a folding stock just for bore sighting, and cleaning.

With that being said, if you're starting from scratch it is also very nice to have one that folds to the right and covers the bolt knob. It's way thinner and makes transportation so much nicer.... backpack, thinner/shorter case, etc. If I had to start from scratch again I'd be trying out a Magpul chassis. Infinite easy adjustments and the stock folds in the right direction.

Last edited:
    Has anyone used the MDT ESS or MDT HS3 chassis?

I was going to suggest you give our products a look too at mdttac.com ! Depending on whether you want the lightest possible option, or something that is lightweight yet foldable, we have a ton of different solutions. Personally, I love the ESS with the folding buttstock, but it won't be as light as some of the other great options listed above.

I was going to suggest you give our products a look too at mdttac.com ! Depending on whether you want the lightest possible option, or something that is lightweight yet foldable, we have a ton of different solutions. Personally, I love the ESS with the folding buttstock, but it won't be as light as some of the other great options listed above.

Good time to buy given the strength of the US dollar. The cost is only $35 more for the ESS with a folding stock you make (not the buffer tube). Can you tell me what the estimated weight is for the ESS or the HS3 model with your skeleton folding stock?

Reactions: MDT_Josh
    I have a Pro 700 and it's very solid when unfolded. The grip adjustment is very nice as well to get your trigger reach dialed in.

Do you know if the Pro 700 will accommodate an 11" swept bolt handle?

Good time to buy given the strength of the US dollar. The cost is only $35 more for the ESS with a folding stock you make (not the buffer tube). Can you tell me what the estimated weight is for the ESS or the HS3 model with your skeleton folding stock?

For sure and we have our US warehouse stocked up, so you guys get great shipping times! Approximate weights are as follows:

- ESS Chassis Base, 15" no rail forend, ESS folding buttstock, MDT pistol grip = 4.5 lbs - 4.7 lbs
    - HS3 chassis, MDT Fixed-to-fixed folding stock adapter, MDT SRS V5 short, MDT pistol grip = 5.2 lbs or so

Reactions: NHPiper
    I've tried multiple chassis, KRG, MDT, Cadex but my favorites by far are GRS Rifle stocks. I wish I could have gotten a JAllen stock.

They are the most comfortable stocks to shoot. they are also fairly light and use limbsaver recoil pad so you feel like, no recoil with a muzzle brake. Shoot all day and do it again the next day ;)

these 2 should be around 1k$ and will BLOW away your magpul /MDT/KRG in temrs of build quality IMO.

and the bolthorn, which is an absolute beast but higher than your price point.

Last edited:
    For sure and we have our US warehouse stocked up, so you guys get great shipping times! Approximate weights are as follows:

- ESS Chassis Base, 15" no rail forend, ESS folding buttstock, MDT pistol grip = 4.5 lbs - 4.7 lbs
    - HS3 chassis, MDT Fixed-to-fixed folding stock adapter, MDT SRS V5 short, MDT pistol grip = 5.2 lbs or so

Josh - will the ESS fit the Ultimatum Deadline actions?

The Masterpiece Arms Ultra Lite Chassis is about 2.5 pounds and is a little cheaper than some of the other popular choices.

I'm not into chassis systems so have no experience to add but have been looking at them recently. If I were to buy one it would be either an MPA or the Magpul.

As other options, if you can live without a folding chassis, there are some pretty lightweight options in traditional stocks these days like McMillan's carbon fiber and as a cheaper option, most HS stocks are usually only 2-3 pounds.

The Manners is a great choice. I had the T4A. Another one you may want to check out is MPA. I know they’re coming out with a super light chassis. I’ve had several, including folders, and they are extremely solid. The folder I had was great for cleaning, bore sighting and just folding up to take up less space when transporting.

Don’t quote me, but I don’t see why you couldn’t get the light weight chassis they have with a folding option. I know it will make it a little heavier, but they lock up super tight.

2.5lbs.

Indian Creek Design MoFo chassis with their folder. Depending on which buttstock and hand grip you choose it can be under 3.5 pounds. It utilizes a modular fore end system.

Picture of mine attached. But mine holds a Ruger American. The fore end I’m using is called the Johnny. M-lok on 3 sides and the entire length of the bottom is ARCA Swiss dove tail

Attachments

• 34FD77A5-7234-4097-B7E9-B7FCC329044F.jpeg
      34FD77A5-7234-4097-B7E9-B7FCC329044F.jpeg
      852.4 KB · Views: 95
    I can't believe that no one suggested the Accuracy International AICS AT chassie. Maybe they are out of the given price bracket?

I have used and tried a lot of chassis and stocks and the KRG Whiskey3 and the AICS AT are my favourites.

Last edited:
    I can't believe that no one suggested the Accuracy International AICS AT chassie. Maybe the are out of the given price bracket?

I have used and tried a lot of chassis and stocks and the KRG Whiskey3 and the AICS AT are my favourites.

I didn’t mention AI because of price. The latest gen is awesome but pricey.

It wasn't on your list but the XLR Carbon chassis seems to check all of the boxes.
    I really am enjoying mine and XLR are great to deal with.

Based on the OP, with that carbon fiber barrel it sounds like you’re also wanting keep weight down. You should definitely check out the new XLR Element 3.0 in magnesium. It’s a pretty awesome super light chassis. Also, I really like their folders, especially the new version with the detent for holding it in the folded position.

I just got a XLR folding adapter to go on my XLR envy chassis. The folding adapter seems well thought out and well built. It locks up tight and folded detent is reasonably secure. My only negative is I wish the button was recessed. Doing some dryfire practice moving around with it, it seems like the button could be in a spot that could be bumped. It does have enough pre load tension on it, that it shouldn't be an issue though. Overall I'm happy with it.