• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing looking for full size gatling gun plans

maccrazy2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2009
10 minutes S. W. of denver
Have any of you come across any dimensional plans for a 45-70 Gatling gun? I have 9 patent drawings from 1890 that have a lot of dimensions but, some are unreadable. Several are missing. And, there are no drawings of the bolts.
I am looking into scaling one down to .357 or something similar. If anyone has any or knows of any I would appreciate the info.

I have a set of prints from RG-G (?) for a small scale . 22 rimfire gun with 10 barrels. Good design and could be scaled up easily. Mine is about 1/2 finished and various parts made.

I have a set of prints from RG-G (?) for a small scale . 22 rimfire gun with 10 barrels. Good design and could be scaled up easily. Mine is about 1/2 finished and various parts made.

I have some on the way from D&E now. I wanted to build one that shoots 22. I did not know untill after I ordered them that theirs uses 22 shorts. I started reading some of the forums and it sounded like the 22 guns were not as reliable as centerfire guns. I would love a full size 45-70 but ammo cost as well as size is an issue. A pistol caliber rimmed cartridge that is common and cheap sounds good to me. I am not concerned with it looking 100% authentic but would like it to be close. I have found pictures and videos of full reproductions as well as 1off's people made from scrap laying around in a machine shop. The essential mechanism is the same but the cocking cam was essentially a flat piece if steel that catches a rear mounted firing pin sear. it was alot simpler to make than a milled arangement like on an original gun.
At this point I am just gathering info to decide if I want to try to scale down and copy an original or build a simpler design of my own dimensions.

If anyone locates a set for a full size 45/70 please contact me as I want to build a full size 45/70. The 5 barrel Bulldog would be my 1st choice because of portability. This has been a lifelong dream as I love the 45/70 & I'm getting older so I need to get it done. Thanks for any & all help.

have either of you found gatlinggunforum yet? tons of builds on that site a few with some decent plans in the background from what I have gleened so far.

If anyone locates a set for a full size 45/70 please contact me as I want to build a full size 45/70. The 5 barrel Bulldog would be my 1st choice because of portability. This has been a lifelong dream as I love the 45/70 & I'm getting older so I need to get it done. Thanks for any & all help.

If I come up with any I will pass them along. from what I am finding there are drawings on most models but there are only about 50-70% of the dimensions and some of the drawings always seem to be missing. I suspect I could still get one to work but it would be nice to have actual specs to draw from or actual parts to measure.
I have a friend of a friend who owns a very nice original gun. I have put in a call to see if I can get his contact info if he is willing to help. Unfortunately he is in another state so I dont expect more than photos and maybe some easy measurements. I will hopefully know tomorrow.

have either of you found gatlinggunforum yet? tons of builds on that site a few with some decent plans in the background from what I have gleened so far.

Yeah. there are only 5 topics under original guns. The majority posted there is for 22 builds. That was where I was reading about all the issues people were having getting the 22s to work well. I figured if you buy plans and build according to them and still have alot of issues then i might as well go bigger and try to build what I want from the get go. it appears there is alot of tweaking to get them to work right. scaling down an original seems a better option than one that was scaled down and changed from centerfire to rimfire.

OK, I have located a friend of a friend with an original gun I can get some bolt measurements from. I also know some guys in town that have one of the new bulldog guns. I will run by there and see how much cash it will take to get them to pull a few parts out. Lol