• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for Good 338 Edge Loads

Triple BB

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2010
I'm loading for a 338 Edge. Looking for recipes some of you have had good results with. I'm using RP 300 RUM brass necked up. I have both Retumbo and H1000 powder. My bullets are 300 grain Bergers and Cutting Edge 265 grain Lazers. Any info on associated seating depth and velocities is appreciated. Thanks...

The following graph was my experience with Retumbo and WC860 in a .338 Edge (.338/.300 RUM) with 300gr projectiles (SMKs and Bergers) in a 25" barrel.

860338.png

Red X is measured Retumbo speed
Blue X is measured WC860 speed
Red circles are Quickload-predicted speed with US869
Green line is Quickload pressure (right hand scale) with US869.

Retumbo gave sub-MOA groups at 200yds over a range of velocities through a factory Remington barrel (rechambered). I never ran the pressure up to max but the Retumbo velocities were very consistent. Bullets seated pretty close to the lands. Bergers were single-fed as their OAL exceeds magazine length. SMKs will fit the R700 mag box seated near the lands.

FWIW Berger has published "Edge" data:

Thanks for the info. Looks like you had a node at 91/92 grns Retumbo. I've looked at Berger's info and was hoping for people's experience with good ES & SD at slightly higher velocities.

Don't trust my graph. The data's nearly 8 years old and probably a single shot for reference, not multi-shot averages. I don't remember my procedure and my notes were less complete back then. That said "nodes" are likely to be fairly broad given the case capacity. An entire grain of powder is only about 1% of the powder charge.

I believe there's likely quite a bit of load data from the people who created the wildcat: Defensive Edge.

I also believe they had a significant presence at the Long Range Hunting forum. Case in point.

Reactions: Triple BB