• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for good bags for bench shooting

Len5E1

Private
Minuteman
May 3, 2018
Hey guys. I've done a bit of research but being someone that knows nothing about bags I find the different styles and information easily available not quite giving me the answer I'm looking for.

I have a built lr308 I plan on using for 600+ yrds from a concrete bench to start. Looking for front and rear bag suggestive. I've seen a bunch of that fortune cookie style or the ones with a dip in the center but I'm just not sure what works best. I'm thinking I want a fairly stable front bag and I would maybe like to try a smaller, but not too small, rear bag that you squeeze to adjust. I'm not too worried about competition use yet because I can always upgrade or change bags when the time comes. Just looking for a solid bench rest bag setup for this semi auto platform with a long 15" handguard. Thanks!

I have a couple of sets I purchased from Sinclair years ago. Leather and hold up well. I think Brownell's now carries them. The special "heavy sand" is nice as well.

I would be open to trying an actual rest option if it wasn't too crazy to transport. I assume I would still need a rear bag with that option? My rifle weighs 15 pounds without a bipod or magazine so it's already a beast to transport to me.

Even if I bought a rest though I would probably still be interested in a front bag for certain ranges or situations. I really like the style of that bald eagle setup though...I was a little turned off of the rests because I simply found mostly caldwell when I was looking and the cheap models didn't have that great of reviews.

Make them. It's easy to do and you get exactly what you want.

I have made them from old jeans, a five pount bag of rice, and fancy schmancy cordura stuffed with rags.

Are you set on using bags only or would you entertain an actual bench rest set up? Something like the bald eagle set ups are cheap to get into and better than just any bag IMO. http://bullets.com/search?q=(categoryid:788500)+AND+(brand:"Bald+Eagle")

I saw a ton of those Bald Eagle rests at the local F-Class match. Couple of guys had some real expensive stuff too, like $700 for a front rest.

As for me, the dirt shooter, a Caldwell Rock Jr and Protektor #13 were a big improvement over the lead sled.

Lots of companies make good rear bags. Most designs are the same, just a small handheld square-ish type bag. Options would then get into things like what it’s filled with or attachment points and straps. Here is what I have...

https://tabgear.configio.com/pd/886/tab-small-bag?source=search&returncom=productlist

Not overly complex, very simple.

You mentioned a bipod already. Are you looking for a front bag just for when you’re not using the bipod for some reason? The bipod is going to more stable than most from bags.

Thanks for the additional options guys. CV_Ag, as for the bipod, from my understanding a bipod on a concrete bench is or may not be the best option for longer range targets. Since at this point in time the rifle will mostly only see a concrete bench I'd rather get whatever the better option is for that and worry about versatility in the future. I love the idea of a bipod and will probably get one regardless, but I also want to to eliminate as many factors as possible that can reduce my accuracy when going for the 600-1000 yrd targets. I know this isn't a bolt action so the accuracy on very long range might be debatable but I'd rather practice good technique now so that I don't have to relearn my habits later. I'm a novice so I'm just soaking in everything I can :)

These folks are considered at the top of this game.
Edgewood bags:
edgewood-shooting-bags-including-new-chair-styles.jpg

R

Reactions: USMC 308
I like a Tapered Rear Bag and the one I use is the Triad Tapered Rear Bag Large. It costs $30 for the large one and is very easy to use. From their web site; "The Tapered Rear Bag (AKA:Wedgie) applies a little science to an age old tool. While the old sock full of beads/sand/rice will still work, geometry helps the Wedgie take the rear bag concept to the next step. By moving the Wedgie front to rear under your rifles butt stock, you can quickly change elevation. Moving the bag allows for rapid gross adjustment and a little squeezing makes those fine adjustments. Turn the bag on end if you need to go a little higher. By adjusting the position of the bag, the Wedgie can go from almost zero elevation, up to the length of the bag. There is a single webbing strap on the fat end of the bag. It reads TRIAD, so you can tell your friends where to find them. Add a Grim-Loc or a carabiner and hook it to your sling or anywhere else you like. "