• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking for good hat recomendations

Intrepid4576

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2011
Honesdale, PA, USA
ideal specs

waterproof or quick dry

i have a shaved head so I would like a material that is smooth and not itchy on my skin

flaps to help keep my ears warm if need be

green / brown or camo colors

American made is a plus

id rather it does not have a brim like a ball cap design

thanks for any suggestions :)

Last edited:
camo condom.jpg

This looks like an incarnation of your list above, but looks a bit odd to me.
Cabela's GORE-TEX® Thinsulate™ II Jones Cap : Cabela's

That said, I stay away from waterproof hats though. quick dry is okay, but I prefer one that has something absorbent around the head to absorb sweat. Waterproof hats just "contain and drain" sweat down my face, even in cold weather if I am performing vigorous activities. I prefer a hat that absorbs and breathes (cotton blend is king) and just deal with rinse and dry at the end of the day. My opinion is quite biased by my geographic location though, so certainly YMMV.

Last edited:
Get a decent merino wool watch cap and an OR Seattle Sombrero-this combo gives you versatility & functionality that you simply can't find in one item. Under exertion, humans pump a lot of mosture out the skin on the head- more moisture than even the best "breathable membranes can handle. Knit Merino wool is thin, light, not itchy and warm even when wet.
I live in the Pacific Northwet and am active in wilderness Search & Rescue- this combo has served me well in all kinds or weather and is what I use when shooting/competing in crappy weather.

I like the Duluth trading Co. shoremans fleece hat. Super warm and windproof.

I would guess what you seek is a trapper or bomber hat. Stupid warm. They come in wool, fur, down and synthetics and combinations of those, shelled and open weave, and in all sorts of colors to include greens, browns and camo patterns. The problem with any flaps and especially with waterproof material, very hard to hear with the hat over the ears. Can pick one up at local surplus store in green, very warm and dries quickly synthetic. American made.

good luck

Agree with above, get a Smartwool/Merino beanie for warmth & breathability. I wear one all time on my bald/shaved bean in the colder months. Then, have a Stormy Kromer type 'bomber' hat for sitting idle to keep that body heat retained.
Same as good clothing, having the proper layers will keep you dry, warm, happy & safe...

This looks like an incarnation of your list above, but looks a bit odd to me.
Cabela's GORE-TEX® Thinsulate™ II Jones Cap : Cabela's

That said, I stay away from waterproof hats though. quick dry is okay, but I prefer one that has something absorbent around the head to absorb sweat. Waterproof hats just "contain and drain" sweat down my face, even in cold weather if I am performing vigorous activities. I prefer a hat that absorbs and breathes (cotton blend is king) and just deal with rinse and dry at the end of the day. My opinion is quite biased by my geographic location though, so certainly YMMV.

yeah i found that one also - held off on buying it cause it did seem weird

thanks to everyone for your suggestions i got some good ideas i just need to decide now :)

Outdoor Research probably still makes a hat that can do what you are looking for.