• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for good iron sights for a 10/22 takedown

Naaman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 13, 2020
Thinking about dropping the RDS on my 10/22 takedown and looking for input on what iron sights are available that are better than the v-notch style. I don't have much experience shooting barrel mounted sights, so not sure if a rear aperture or maybe a ghost ring makes sense... or something else entirely.

I'm trying to keep the cost of the rifle low because of what it is, but am open to buying a barrel with good sights on it if that works out to be the best solution for what I want.

Main reason I'm looking to switch is to eliminate height-over-bore considerations.

The purpose of the rifle is as a backpacking/survival gun.

I have Tech Sights peep sights on my 10/22. I use them to practice with iron sights before shooting my M1 Garand in a match. The height over the bore axis is higher than the OEM sights though.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Williams at one time made a peep sight that fit the two rear scope mounting holes. Have not seen one in 40 years but would think one could be found.

Reactions: Naaman
Reactions: Naaman and RTH1800
Thanks, guys.

With respect to these options, is the "return to zero" something to factor in? Since it's a takedown rifle, I've assumed that the ideal set up would be to have the rear sight mounted on the barrel near the receiver (that's how it came from the factory). Also, Magpul makes an optic mount just for the backpacker stock which mounts the optic over the barrel for this reason. So I assumed it actually matters (?).

Granted, I wouldn't be shooting far with this rifle, but the targets it's intended for are very small.

My old 1022 sports a Williams peep. The rear sight mounts to the receiver using the two rear-most scope base holes. This set-up requires a taller than factory front sight - supplied, which is easier to drift out. The factory rear can stay put and fold out of the way. Different screw-in apertures available to suit needs. In a pinch, tape covered vise grips and some clamping creativity can be used instead of drifting with punches. Just an option. Good Luck ronmart!

Thanks, guys.

With respect to these options, is the "return to zero" something to factor in? Since it's a takedown rifle, I've assumed that the ideal set up would be to have the rear sight mounted on the barrel near the receiver (that's how it came from the factory). Also, Magpul makes an optic mount just for the backpacker stock which mounts the optic over the barrel for this reason. So I assumed it actually matters (?).

Granted, I wouldn't be shooting far with this rifle, but the targets it's intended for are very small.
Depending on how well your rifle returns to zero after removing and re-installing the barrel, a receiver mounted aperture sight might work just fine. There are barrel mounted replacement rear sights that have an aperture: https://www.ebay.com/itm/224276392482