• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Looking for gunsmithing machinery

73MCRD

Banned !
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2003
Broken Arrow, Ok.
A frined of mine are going to be opening a gunsmithing shop and looking for a CNC machine and lathe. I need good stuff at reasonable price. If anyone knows where there are some good deasl please let me know. Thanks!

Re: Looking for gunsmithing machinery

In our area some of the bigger machine companies put on machine tool shows a couple of time a year. Well... Maybe once a year. If you express an interest most companies will arrange for free tickets at the door.

Most machine tool shows around here include different types of surface grinders, lathes of different types and styles, milling machines of different types and EDM machines. Both wire burners as well as plunge type.

Call around some local machine tool sales companies and see when they schedule tool shows. There are usually 2 or 3 tooling dealers in each state.

Most dealers when you buy a CNC machine will throw in free training for 1 or 2 people to get you up and going. Training schools run the gammot from 1 day to 2 weeks. A lot depends on how complex the program language is. Or some of the newer operating systems have some really good "canned" programs. You select the general shape and punch in the dimensions. Fill in the cutter tool type and size, material used and finish desired. It almost does all the rest for you. I have over simplified it a bit. But the newer programs are wonderful for simple shapes.

Good luck.

I have been in this business for a long time and I don't know many smiths who use CNC equipment unless they are in the manufacturing end. The equipment is to expensive and takes to long to set up for simple gunsmithing. But there are lots of surplus dealers out there, and some good deals. Check out government surplus dealers as well. There are also many programs threw local organizations and local government agencies that help new business get surplus equipment from government agencies for reduced prices.
I know several gunsmiths that have gotten help this way.

I was looking for a gunsmith and the wife of a recently deceased gunsmith answered to let me know he had died. She said she could send me an inventory. I got it yesterday and it is 22 pages with thousands of line items. I bet it is everything you need and more. Send me an email and I will forward you the list.

The dot com bust in 2000 precipitated many machine shops to go out of business in the Seattle area.

I went to auctions put on by the http://www.murphyauction.com/

I have been going to metal working auctions all along for gunsmithing, but the hard times in 2000 were amazing. I saw minty small Bridgeports go for $1200.

Most big used tools get bought up by middlemen [scalpers], but they had too much inventory to bid in 2000.

What does it all mean?
Obama will bring bad times and high inflation.
Deals will be available at bankruptcy auctions if you have the cash.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: msromike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was looking for a gunsmith and the wife of a recently deceased gunsmith answered to let me know he had died. She said she could send me an inventory. I got it yesterday and it is 22 pages with thousands of line items. I bet it is everything you need and more. Send me an email and I will forward you the list. </div></div>

I'd love the list as well shoot me a PM and I'll give you my email.

Well, hell, I'll hitchhike on this. Anybody know of a used decent lathe for sale in upstate NY?

Used to run a newer model Nardini where I used to work. Biggest POS I have ever run. The older ones must have been much better. Just my .002.
grin.gif

Paul.

I have an Eagle CNC knee mill that id sell. Its a "denosour" but a robust bugger. Cat 40 type spindle, long table travel, and HEAVY. Crt monitor needs a little love (hard to see/read at first till it warms up) easily swapped with an old puter mon.money

There's a bad servo card in it, but parts are still available and you can upgrade to a new control for about 8K.

I paid 8K for the machine. Id sell it for $4500.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolt fluter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Used to run a newer model Nardini where I used to work. Biggest POS I have ever run. The older ones must have been much better. Just my .002.
grin.gif

Paul. </div></div>

I never liked the 14X40's, cheap, rough and clumsy, but the 10" and 12" lathes are best small lathe I've ever seen. They fit the defintion of a toolroom lathe.

Dave,

That' exactly what it was, a 14x40. The handles were so small in diameter sometimes they would want to turn backwards. Drove me crazy. 10 or 12" sounds like a much better product.
smile.gif

Regards, Paul