• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for high quality, performance WOOD stock maker

Nivium

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2020
I've been a composite stock guy for a long time because weight is a big concern to me in my hunting rifles, but I can't shake my strong, likely nostalgic preference for a nice polished high-contrast-grain wood stock. Unfortunately, many wood stocks are quite heavy, and performance-wise it seems wood stocks have been left in the lurch.

So, does anyone know of any high quality, performance-oriented wooden stocks that are not awfully heavy?

Thanks in advance

Wood suitable for a gun stock is heavy.

There's still smiths that make them. They're not cheap if they're nice.

Couldn't remember the last time I saw one advertised that wasn't laminated.

I was looking for inspiration a few years ago for a wood stocked/carbon barrel combo.

@derek71784 posted his Facebook and Insta handles - ATG Wood Works. He had some gorgeous rifle stocks.

Reactions: derek71784
I've been a composite stock guy for a long time because weight is a big concern to me in my hunting rifles, but I can't shake my strong, likely nostalgic preference for a nice polished high-contrast-grain wood stock. Unfortunately, many wood stocks are quite heavy, and performance-wise it seems wood stocks have been left in the lurch.

So, does anyone know of any high quality, performance-oriented wooden stocks that are not awfully heavy?

Thanks in advance
Joel Russo, if he's still making stocks... He's the founder and CEO of Terminus Actions. I knew him over on LRH long before Terminus existed, back when he was just making stocks and was partnered up with Chase Curtis (Curtis Custom Actions). His stock work is absolutely stellar.

I'm in the process of making a copy of the McMillan Game Hunter using a highly figured piece of English Walnut I purchased from Cecil Fedi. It wasn't cheap and it's not light. I had the Game Hunter duplicated. The duplicator left it pretty rough so there is much to do. I'll be doing a picture thread eventually.

There are stockmakers that will do the deed for you. They won't be inexpensive. There is a Stock Makers Guild and you can find names with a simple search.
Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 22.30.13.png

What about something like a woox or the MDT timbr? Wood-oriented but with the performance of aluminum built in.

Or, one of the lighter weight foundation stocks. Looks kinda like wood, acts like aluminum.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of making a copy of the McMillan Game Hunter using a highly figured piece of English Walnut I purchased from Cecil Fedi. It wasn't cheap and it's not light. I had the Game Hunter duplicated. The duplicator left it pretty rough so there is much to do. I'll be doing a picture thread eventually.

There are stockmakers that will do the deed for you. They won't be inexpensive. There is a Stock Makers Guild and you can find names with a simple search.View attachment 8361587
Cecil is the man....I give him referrals all the time. This is wood from him:

1709311337980.jpeg

As far as having one made....there are a lot of excellent stock makers out there but if you aren't looking for a piece of art, consider Wenig for decent price and nice clean work. And most any stock maker will have a duplicator and can duplicate in wood a stock you already own (like a composite or laminated)

Weight is another story...strong Walnut is dense Walnut which is heavy Walnut. Just saying.

Steve Durren did this one for me. If you want a handmade stock your going to be in 4-5K range and that does not include the blank. You can find quite a few good stock makers at the ACGG website.
8BEA31CB-4C1B-4283-89A5-374EEB1651DC.jpeg

Joel Russo, if he's still making stocks... He's the founder and CEO of Terminus Actions. I knew him over on LRH long before Terminus existed, back when he was just making stocks and was partnered up with Chase Curtis (Curtis Custom Actions). His stock work is absolutely stellar.

Unfortunately hes too busy with terminus anymore

Joel did killer work! He’s the one who made me want to take a hack at it. I stay super busy with a pretty sizable backlog, but I keep my prices far more reasonable than most as well. Regardless of who performs the work, I love seeing people who are makers, attempting, etc. I always try to give tips and tricks to those reaching out for any guidance to do it themselves. I understand my production limits as well as the fact that I would love to see more makers!

A photo for you guys’ time
Looks fantastic. What does a stock like that run and what is your backlog time? I'd be interested in one similar but as lightweight as feasible, shorter foreend, and thin grip without a big palm swell.

Thank you! They range between $1,200 and $2,000 depending on blank quality and options. That one would fall around $1,600 with no ARCA etc. backlog is probably well over a year right now (my side gig).

Reactions: DIBBS and FuhQ
Thank you! They range between $1,200 and $2,000 depending on blank quality and options. That one would fall around $1,600 with no ARCA etc. backlog is probably well over a year right now (my side gig).
Nice work. The grain in that is beautiful. I also like the dark finish you put on it, really brings out the depth in the grain. Do you put full aluminum bed blocks in your stocks, or mini-chassis, or just pillars?

I do glass and pillars. I actually have a Hawkins aluminum bedding block that I’ll be trying soon on one coming up. Thank you for the kind words

Reactions: Charger442
Find a good gunsmith, or check out Boyd's I believe they can make the original stocks.

id love to cut my own blank from mesquite and have a Winchester 52 Sporter stock duplicated. ive made some tables out of it,
worm holes are easily filled with tinted epoxy. controlling curing and moisture content is always the challenge

Year might be a little long for me but you do stellar work. Thanks for the response

There is a girl in Florida, that paints teak bulkheads, transoms and toe rails to resemble fine teak, the advantage there is less maintenance, more durability. I had talked to her at one point while she was painting a transom on a boat for me. Her work is so good that about the only way you can tell the difference from wood is to look at the end grain, even from someone as particular as yacht Capts/Owners. While not exactly cheap it is a great alternative. She told me that she had painted quite a few stocks for competitive shotgunners, some over wood. I can probably locate her info, PM me if needed.

I know Wenig is a big name had 2 guns stocked over the last 12 years very pleased with their work. I have heard good stories about the DeVault stocks

Reactions: Terry Cross
Take a close look at these two, both of these companies are highly regarded.
Sycamore Hill Designs , Victor NY
Turnbull Restoration , Bloomfield NY

I know Wenig is a big name had 2 guns stocked over the last 12 years very pleased with their work. I have heard good stories about the DeVault stocks
Ah, Dennis passed away some handful of years ago and are no longer in biz. And he was not elderly at all. Shame, he seemed to be very well liked, especially in the trap shooting community.

Aside from stocks, he made the best adjustable comb hardware for wood stock going.

I don’t know if his wife…Cindy I believe…is still checkering or not. IMO, checkering patterns are a very personal choice and while I wasn’t a fan of her style, many others loved her work.

If looking for top level checkering, this guy is stellar

This is some of his work on a shotgun of mine. We gave him rough hand drawn design and he turned out this. I think it’s 32 lines/inch. Not a mistake that I could find anywhere. And note, this checkering is borderless. No room for error at all.

1711119346222.jpeg

1711119382420.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledzep and DIBBS
Ah, Dennis passed away some handful of years ago and are no longer in biz. And he was not elderly at all. Shame, he seemed to be very well liked, especially in the trap shooting community.

Aside from stocks, he made the best adjustable comb hardware going.

I don’t know if his wife…Cindy I believe…is still checkering or not. IMO, checkering patterns are a very personal choice and while I wasn’t a fan of her style, many others loved her work.

If looking for top level checkering, this guy is stellar

This is some of his work on a shotgun of mine. We gave him rough hand drawn design and he turned out this. I think it’s 32 lines/inch. Not a mistake that I could find anywhere. And note, this checkering is borderless. No room for error at all.

View attachment 8378682

View attachment 8378683
Wow, that's perfection. It's a shame that such mastery is passing away by the day.

Reactions: Baron23
Hey, I’m looking for a wood stock maker that will take a stock blank. Make it an M1903A3 stock but inlet for winchester model 70 left hand. Does anyone know of someone who can do this?

I make F Class and FTR stocks. I can cut a nice lightweight hunting stock.
these are just sealed, and not completely sanded, made from Winge and Purpleheart.

IMG_1471.jpeg
IMG_1470.jpeg
IMG_1472.jpeg
IMG_1464.jpeg
IMG_1469.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1468.jpeg
    IMG_1468.jpeg
    787.7 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Baron23