• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Looking for Hunting Lease - Virginia

Olen_4504

[ ]
Supporter
Minuteman
May 16, 2018
Montpelier, Virginia
I know this is a long shot, but I'm getting desperate.

After two miserable years hunting the public land 5 minutes from my house, I'm over it for obvious reasons.

I've tried sending letters to local land owners, offering labor/money, etc. with some responses but nothing coming to fruition.

I used to always hunt with my dad up in MD and on the lease he had on the eastern shore a few years ago. I really stopped hunting during/after college and after he passed away I've wanted to get back into it but haven't had much luck.

I'm trying to find some land to lease in Virginia. 1-2 hunters, bow hunting. (2019+ seasons)

I realize I'm probably one of many many people that would love private land to hunt. But I'm just hoping maybe someone has a spot or info on a spot and would rather someone they trust from our community than a random Craiglist person or something.

You can PM me or text 540-760-9eight1six

Killed last year on public land 15 minutes from my house. Military base land.
https://ftpickett.isportsman.net/

In addition to Fort Pickett there are thousands of acres of public land hunts, draw hunts, and other opportunities here, many of them underutilized.Some of the most underutilized are the flood plain lands that border the rivers and lakes controlled by the US Army Corps of Engineers and Dominion Power Company.
Much of it can only be accessed by boat, and you'll need a GPS and or topo map to make sure you stay under the high water boundaries, but I can tell from first hand experience that these are very productive resources, especially when there are many dog hunting clubs that hunt the private lands that border these rivers and lakes. A deer's natural instincts tell them to run to water and swim across or run in the shallows to elude chasing predators.
The Staunton and Dan rivers are exceptional, but it's not canoe country. Waters flow fast when the dams are generating and the water levels fluctuate dramatically, sometimes within just hours, so you have to do your homework in the off-season and you have to know what you're doing with a boat capable moving through shallow and sometimes swift waters.

I can't begin to tell you how many deer I have killed from the river banks or by participating in small man drives on isolated islands, finding deer that swam to safety and decided to hang out there a few days.

Dick Cross WMA, Occoneechee State Park, Staunton River State Park, and many others are good places to hunt that are often overlooked.

You won't find much leasable good private land around. Most of the clubs have gotten there before you.

23621565_1873965685969850_6262628538461117951_n.jpg

Yeah i figured that's the case. all the land around me is spoken for the by dog runners. unfortunate for us.

nice deer man. a coworker of my wife has been wanting to take me to Pickett. we just haven't made it happen yet,

thanks for the tips

Just to be clear, that's not me or my deer, but just posted as an example of what's out there on publicly accessible lands.

Where in VA are you looking? Is this just bow hunting or are you doing rifles too? how much land are you looking to lease? Are you looking for exclusive rights? Are you looking for just deer or deer and birds? And this is for the 2019 season that starts in November 2019, not the one that started a few weeks ago and continues into early 2019?

I have 300 acres in Rappahannock Co., not all of it currently available as I use hunting rights as barter for bush hogging. If you have a tractor and a bush hog, we could certainly work something out. You can PM if you want.

Where in VA are you looking? Is this just bow hunting or are you doing rifles too? how much land are you looking to lease? Are you looking for exclusive rights? Are you looking for just deer or deer and birds? And this is for the 2019 season that starts in November 2019, not the one that started a few weeks ago and continues into early 2019?

I have 300 acres in Rappahannock Co., not all of it currently available as I use hunting rights as barter for bush hogging. If you have a tractor and a bush hog, we could certainly work something out. You can PM if you want.

PM sent