• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Looking for info on Barnes bullets

LR338nut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 13, 2009
Umitilla County, Or
Im thinking of playing around with some barnes bullets for penetration of objects such as glass or other hard things. I have noticed that my Sierra Matchkings tend to fall apart, or the jacket seperates from the core. I want to have a load that will penetrate, with less deflection, and still shoot close to my zero for my 175SMK's. Im looking at the Barnes M/LE line, the Tax-X 30 cal 168. Also these would not be used for long shots, probablly only under 300yds.
Does anyone have any experience with these?
Or Recomendations for something else? I cannot use A.P. rounds because they are illegal.

Re: Looking for info on Barnes bullets

In WWII something called a BAT round was made from what I perceived to be standard FMJ's.

Take a FMJ and submit the tip to a belt sander and make a square edge on the nose that's about 3/16" across (for a 50cal, scale accordingly to 308)

When it hits metal or glass the sharp edge acts like a cutting tool on a lathe and starts to dig in and make the bullet turn and rip into the material instead of glancing off.

It was used to great effect for glancing impacts on aircraft.

I've never had a supply of auto glass to shoot at, but I have a feeling this would be an easy enough experiment to try and FMJ's are pretty cheap.