• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for info on Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 4x12x40 #115392

charliebrown1999

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2018
I have an interest in Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 4x12x40 adjustable objective 1 inch tube sku #115392. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has or currently owns one. They are discontinued but a few shops have new old stock and selling for about 499. I want good clear glass with M-dots and under 15oz.

I have the 3-9x version with the green dot. It's great and lightweight for what it is. I probably won't get rid of it. I've had it for about 6 years now

Can I talk you into a different scope. I like Leupold. They do not make a "bad" scope, but the Mark AR was popular is low magnifications. Their higher magnifications were okay for their day, but you can get better now with a different scope. For the money, the Vortex PST Gen II is a great value. I would not recommend a lesser Vortex in that magnification. Another choice is Trijicon Credo and Nightforce SHV. While not a huge Burris fan, there are some worth looking at. Glass is clear and body is well made.

Reactions: GhostFace
I have one. It's on an ultra lightweight AR upper that I run in the Sniper Adventure Challenge. I bought it specifically because it was the absolute lightest scope I could find.

I've been using it for probably four or five years now, though I don't have a lot of time behind it. It's one of those that gets carried a lot and shot a little. As far as I can tell it tracks acceptably. I tested it on my tracking fixture when I first got it. Glass is decent. It lacks both a zero stop and turret caps. That was a problem one year when I unassed the rifle only to discover that the turret had moved exactly 180° off zero from rubbing in my pack. Had to guess which direction to turn it to re-zero.

I'm happy to answer any questions either here or via PM.

Can I talk you into a different scope. I like Leupold. They do not make a "bad" scope, but the Mark AR was popular is low magnifications. Their higher magnifications were okay for their day, but you can get better now with a different scope. For the money, the Vortex PST Gen II is a great value. I would not recommend a lesser Vortex in that magnification. Another choice is Trijicon Credo and Nightforce SHV. While not a huge Burris fan, are some worth looking at. Glass is clear and body is well made.
my budget is $499 and weight requirement 15oz. the viper pst gen two is $1200 and weighs 28oz. I am not sure but the other two you recommend maybe a little more expensive than the vortex.

I have 3 of the 18 power and I love them - I think they’re an unbeatable scope for the $$$ and I wish they had not discontinued them. The VX Freedom replacement is stripped down. I have one on a Colt AR dedicated varmint gun for medium range and my bro and I each have one on our Anschutz 22s. Glass is great IMO

I have one I bought used here on the Hide. Mine has the duplex reticle, and while I'd prefer the mil dot I got a nice clean scope for 275$, can't complain about that. The AO ring certainly isn't as fast as a side focus, but it works just fine. Marks go down to 25 yards but it doesn't stop at the mark so maybe goes down to 15 or 20.

One thing I noticed regarding the diopter adjustment, it wouldn't lock when I spun the locking nut against the ocular housing. I focus it, spin the locking not against the housing, then holding that in place back off the housing then tighten that up against the locking ring. Sounds backwards but it holds fine then. I think it's just a matter of getting more torque with the larger housing than I could with the rather thin locking ring.