• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for info on "Silent Night" match, or other night events

lead ƒarmer

Gun Loving Redneck
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2010
Prosser, WA
I have always wanted to shoot a nighttime rifle match but the timing has never worked out for me. Well now I have been kicking around the idea of trying to host a club level night match myself. But before I get the cart too far ahead of the horse, I wanted to ask people who have been there done that.

First of all, is it worth it? It seems to me that I would definitely have more work on my end dealing with lights and making sure everything lines up properly. Do you as a shooter care, or is daytime match just as good? How have MDs illuminated the targets? I have heard of the I.R.I.S. lights from RTAC Precision being used, but he is no longer selling those. What about diesel powered light towers? I'm not sure if they can light up a big enough area to be useful or not. Shooters would obviously need headlamps and/or flashlights to be able to dig through backpacks, load mags, pickup brass etc. Basically I'm looking for specifics on what makes a night match run different than daytime, and is it worth it?

My reasons for wanting to do it is because A) it seems like a fun way to mix things up, and B) it can get miserably hot in my area during summer. Running a match at night could be one way to beat the heat. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: ChidJ
Wait night matches aren't shot with just night vision? Wtf do you need lights?

Silent Night uses single landscape type lights on each target...so if youre in your scope and not on target, all you see is dark

I enjoyed shooting it quite a bit because it was different...dark and all suppressed...it was slightly more effort tho because you couldnt see things around you well and some of that you take for granted during the day...writing dope, people left gear behind often, etc...you also had to make sure you knew where each target was more than usual because you had no references down range except random white spots on a black hillside

unless you missed close enough to still be in the lighted area, you got back pretty much zero feedback...most of the targets hung inside 800 yds were hung loose and moved when hit, it was easy to spot...they had magnetospeed flashers on everything past 800

Silent Night uses single landscape type lights on each target...so if youre in your scope and not on target, all you see is dark

I enjoyed shooting it quite a bit because it was different...dark and all suppressed...it was slightly more effort tho because you couldnt see things around you well and some of that you take for granted during the day...writing dope, people left gear behind often, etc...you also had to make sure you knew where each target was more than usual because you had no references down range except random white spots on a black hillside

unless you missed close enough to still be in the lighted area, you got back pretty much zero feedback...most of the targets hung inside 800 yds were hung loose and moved when hit, it was easy to spot...they had magnetospeed flashers on everything past 800
Thanks! Thats exactly the kind of info I am looking for. I hadn't even thought about trying landscaping lights....