• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for Input on a new Scope- Nightforce Competition 15-55x52x vs Vortex Gen III 6-36x56

Scottfree92

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2020
I had a rather long post with my questions regarding these two scopes. After thinking it over, I just ordered both of them. I will look at them and choose one to keep, then will sell the other. I don’t think that either one will be to difficult to sell. They will both really be brand new. Thanks though everyone.

Scott

Last edited:
Reactions: CSTactical
Get the G3, better glass, FOV, mirage handling, etc. The comp was a great scope, but 2 gen's ago. G3 from Scott at LibertyOptics for the best price.

Out of curiosity, why are you not considering a Nightforce ATACR 7-35? It seems like that is the more comparable optic to the Vortex Gen III 6-36x56. Maybe I missed something, but the Competition 15-55 is a second focal plane scope with a very different magnification range, less internal adjustment, and a much lower price point... It just sounds like apples and oranges to me. What are you using the scope for?

Out of curiosity, why are you not considering a Nightforce ATACR 7-35? It seems like that is the more comparable optic to the Vortex Gen III 6-36x56. Maybe I missed something, but the Competition 15-55 is a second focal plane scope with a very different magnification range, less internal adjustment, and a much lower price point... It just sounds like apples and oranges to me. What are you using the scope for?

Bingo!

And as mentioned I like dealing with Scott @LibertyOptics as he does have great prices.

That would be the logical comparison. Might add the ZCO 8-40. NF Competition is more benchrest, and the ATACR more durable tactical scope, but often used in ELR. Because of the large recoil, I do not hear of people shooting the Competition for long range (>1,300 yards). If you are looking for benchrest, I would through a Mark High Master into the mix.

Now, realizing I asked more questions than gave answers, I would be happy to chat with you about your needs. Commercial or just advise. I am a scope nerd during the day. We also sell each brand I mentioned, but love talking scopes.

That would be the logical comparison. Might add the ZCO 8-40. NF Competition is more benchrest, and the ATACR more durable tactical scope, but often used in ELR. Because of the large recoil, I do not hear of people shooting the Competition for long range (>1,300 yards). If you are looking for benchrest, I would through a Mark High Master into the mix.

Now, realizing I asked more questions than gave answers, I would be happy to chat with you about your needs. Commercial or just advise. I am a scope nerd during the day. We also sell each brand I mentioned, but love talking scopes.
Actually, I shoot club level benchrest and related type shooting, for the most part 100 to 400 yards. I just really wanted to be able to use the Gen III because I’ve heard so many great things about them and how good their glass is.

I ordered both scopes and while I was waiting for them to be delivered, I recalled that on Strelok Pro, I could try both the FCR-1 reticle on the NF and the Razor EBR-7D reticle. I picked a target and modified the range, in and out, to view the reticles in both of them, at different distances. The Razor first focal plane just absolutely does not work for Benchrest. It was very apparent that the reticle in the Razor is for long range, not Benchrest, when I saw it close up on Strelok. I just really wanted to be able to use the Razor, but it’s not going to fly. Oh, yes I could have done this in Strelok, before I ordered both of them, but honestly, I just did not think about it. I really do not use it because I’m only shooting out a few hundred yards and know my drop. You know, I looked at the Razor reticle on the Vortex site, before I bough the scopes and just thought that I could likely work with it.

You mentioned this and I just looked at the March’s yesterday online. I do like some of the reticles that they offer and from what I have read their glass is really good. For right now, I have the Competition and with use it. I am pretty sure that one of the fellow that shoots with us in the spring and summer is running a March. I never really gave it much mind before, but I’m going to have to get a look through it in the spring when we start back up.

Anyway, I’m keeping the NF and selling the Razor. When they came, I did not even bother opening the Razor box, as I knew that I would be selling it, based on what I saw in Strelok. I have it listed elsewhere, but haven’t listed on here yet. I was able to get the scopes at a discount, (truly, the only reason I could buy both), so I will also be able to sell it at a lower price. Maybe that might help someone else out.

Thanks so much for replying to my post though. I read a lot of the posts on here and really enjoy them.

Reactions: Cutout