• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Looking for input on Bushmaster Carbon ARs

FatboyStew

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
Illinois
I'm looking to get an AR and am attracted to the low price of the Bushmaster Carbons. It will primarily be used for defense and plinking. Bushmaster says the carbon upper and lower are 40% stronger than the typical aluminum receivers, but I have some reservations. Does anyone have input/suggestions?

Thanks,

Brent

Re: Looking for input on Bushmaster Carbon ARs

All manufactures claim better this or that. Some people look at bushmaster as a lower grade than some custom but I have but many thousands of rounds through bushmasters and they are fine rifles do not get stuck on a name. There are some great builders out there and some great products but from what you says the bushy will fit the bill just fine.

Welcome to the board. and do not forget about the search function it will save some flaming on you later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FatboyStew</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to get an AR and am attracted to the low price of the Bushmaster Carbons. It will primarily be used for defense and plinking. Bushmaster says the carbon upper and lower are 40% stronger than the typical aluminum receivers, but I have some reservations. Does anyone have input/suggestions?

Thanks,

Brent </div></div>

I have one and am perfectly happy with what it is....but there are many excellent rifles out there for the same price. And as for the strength comparison, just remember one pound of each will not have the same physical dimensions.
Would this be my go to rifle ..no, I'd grab a standard AR first.

i have one of the original professional ordnance carbon 15. never had any problems with it, super light, accurate enough. i wouldnt hesitate to get another.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast freddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have one of the original professional ordnance carbon 15. never had any problems with it, super light, accurate enough. i wouldnt hesitate to get another. </div></div>
<span style="color: #000099">I have one also, my daugher thinks it belong t her as it is the lightest rifle in the safe. Great rifle.</span>

Most of the time I have seen them people seem to be having issues with them. They are light, however I would recommend just staying with a standard, proven AR15.

I have a Bushy Carbon 15 and never had a problem with it. Most of the problems with them took place before Bushmater took them over IIRC.

They're CRAP! It's freakin' PLASTIC!

Plastic = CRAP

Flame away! I'm just old enough to appreciate "Old School" when it comes to firearms. They MUST be made of primarily METAL to be worth a flyin' fuck! No Plactic-receiver firearms in my world.

I beg to differ. The Styer AUG is one of the finest combat rifle out there. The Glock pistols are fine weapons as well. I agree the Carbon 15 is not in the same class as the AUG but the new ones by Bushmaster are not crap. I remember people making derogatory remarks about the M16 (the Mattel rifle) when it first came out because it wasn't wood and steel.

I can understand why people don't like them. They're an AR's ugly stepchild.

That being said, try standing around all day with a bunch of guys holding fully kitted out AR's and eventually you'll hear a bunch of whining.

There's certainly something to be said for an iron sighted pencil barreled AR. The carbon fiber AR's take it to the next level of light weight comfort.

I've only played with the Professional Ordnance AR's and had no issues whatsoever, but I'm sure that Bushmaster has upped the quality even more.

I have owned 2 Shrubmaster carbon fiber ar15s and they both totally sucked. One would not feed. Shrub fixed it for free. Both of them shot 8 to 12 inch groups at 100 yds with a Leup 3-9. What total crap.