• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for known accurate 223 loads

no one cares

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2023
USA
I have a (1 in 8), 20" wylde chamber AR 15 and would like to obtain accurate loads for the 55gr smk, 62gr smk, 69 gr smk and 77gr smk using military brass, remington brass and pmc brass. 55gr smk is most important to me since the price of match ammo is off the chart and for many unaffordable as the wife and I are out every week shooting and want as tight as possible groups as we can get. If there is anyone out there that had compiled known accurate loads that work and possibly have photos of the groups using this twist rate, length bbl and chamber please post them or send me a PM. Thanks

Reactions: simonp
To the best of my knowledge there is no 55 or 62 grain Matchkings. There are 52 and 53 grain SMK. You twist should work well with the 69 and 77. You should be able to find any number of posts on this forum with powder and bullet recommendations. As for your particular rifle you will need to work up loads. If you are just starting to reload then you have a learning curve in front of you. You can expect to spend somewhere between $500 and $1000 dollars on reloading equipment if you intend to match or exceed the quality of commercial match ammunition.

Reactions: matt33 and simonp
To the best of my knowledge there is no 55 or 62 grain Matchkings. There are 52 and 53 grain SMK. You twist should work well with the 69 and 77. You should be able to find any number of posts on this forum with powder and bullet recommendations. As for your particular rifle you will need to work up loads. If you are just starting to reload then you have a learning curve in front of you. You can expect to spend somewhere between $500 and $1000 dollars on reloading equipment if you intend to match or exceed the quality of commercial match ammunition.
I thought SMK stood for Sierra Match King which would tend to make me believe the bullet was a Sierra BTMK. Anyway, thanks for the information. I also was just told by another person that the 55 SMK works very well at the 100 yards range and clean out to 600 but now matter what 223 bullet I shoot the wind is going to affect any 22 cal bullet more so than other heavier bullet and there was no need for me to go to a 69 or 77 unless I just wanted to try it. I'll guess the BT on the 22 cal bullets are not like the 308 168 gr BT vs the 308 175 gr BT for specific purposes. I also was told 55 gr America Eagle FMJ work just as well as some of the expensive 55 gr match ammo that cost and arm and a leg. As you said, A lot to learn

Yeah, he means 62 Sierra Game Kings. But its fine. You want accurate loads?
Here is a few, but note, every barrel is different. so BASICALLY, no matter what barrel you have, will "probably" like within .2 grains of the following
77 SMK 2.260
Varget 24.0
SW Precision Rifle 23.9-24.1
N140 24.1-24.2
N540 24.5
Benchmark 22.0
N135 22.0, 23.0
8208 XBR 23.3, 23.6
AR Comp 22.8
AA2230 22.0
RL15 24.0
to name a few popular loads.

69 Grain SMK 2.260
Varget 25-25.1
RL15 25-25.1
Norma 203B 25-25.1

55 Grain Blitzking
Benchmark 25.0
AA2230 26.0, 24.5
AR Comp 25.2-25.3
W748 26.4
H335 25.0
N133 24.5-24.7
N530 25.1

62 Grains Gameking, etc. Not many people load for this, for accuracy. So exclude this...its not accurate bullet compared to SMK.
BUT, if you want ot try your best..then here is what you will do. Get 1 of these powders:
Benchmark, AR-Comp, or N135. Load from 24.2-24.7, and probably near 24.5 with one will be your best load possible.

of all the loads on this list, AROUND 24.0 grains of VARGET for 77 SMK is BY FAR FAR FAR, the most popular. Its ultra temp stable, and its nuts accurate. Many people on here will say that if your gun cannot shoot 24.0 of Varget with 77 SMK, then your barrel sucks, because straight up, that load is probably universally GOLD status. lol

Good luck

Last edited:
Here is a few, but note, every barrel is different. so BASICALLY, no matter what barrel you have, will "probably" like within .2 grains of the following
77 SMK 2.260
Varget 24.0
N140 24.1-24.2
N540 24.5
Benchmark 22.0
N135 22.0, 23.0
8208 XBR 23.3, 23.6
AR Comp 22.8
AA2230 22.0
RL15 24.0

69 Grain SMK 2.260
Varget 25-25.1
RL15 25-25.1
Norma 203B 25-25.1

55 Grain SMK/or Blitzking
Benchmark 25.0
AA2230 26.0, 24.5
AR Comp 25.2-25.3
W748 26.4
H335 25.0
N133 24.5-24.7
N530 25.1

62 Grains Gameking, etc. Not many people load for this, for accuracy. So exclude this...its not accurate bullet compared to SMK.
BUT, if you want ot try your best..then here is what you will do. Get 1 of these powders:
Benchmark, AR-Comp, or N135. Load from 24.2-24.7, and probably near 24.5 with one will be your best load possible.ry

of all the loads on this list, AROUND 24.0 grains of VARGET for 77 SMK is BY FAR FAR FAR, the most popular. Its ultra temp stable, and its nuts accurate. Many people on here will say that if your gun cannot shoot 24.0 of Varget with 77 SMK, then your barrel sucks, because straight up, that load is probably universally GOLD status. lol

Good luck
Thank you very much. We will give this 77 gr SMK with 24 gr of Varget a try and see what we can accomplish. Thanks

Reactions: sharpshooter 7018
if you are going to shoot under 200 yards a flat base bullet will give you the best groups and be super easy to tune. The hornady 55 or 60 flat base bullets are phenomenal use 24 grains of H 322 and you will be 1/4 moa.

Oh, and a 69gr SMK with 23gr IMR 4320 always did f-ing fantastic for me. Always shot the absolute best.

Not that it does anyone any good...

Also if your new to reloading and like the face God gave you, don't try and match someone's pet load they give you. Start lower by like 10% or better and work your way up to it... Good luck

Reactions: MarshallDodge
What powders do you have? That’s kinda important

Also if your new to reloading and like the face God gave you, don't try and match someone's pet load they give you. Start lower by like 10% or better and work your way up to it... Good luck
Yes, the very first one I was given out here was 24 gr of Varget and when I looked that up in the Sierra reloading manual it exceeded max load by a long shot. I'm looking to duplicate the PMC 55 gr FMJ BT @ 2900 FPS which was listed as the most accurate loads. Now if I could define what power and primer PMC uses I would be good to go for starters. The manual said 21.5 gr of RE7 will give 2,900 FPS to their 55GR FMJ BT.

Yes, the very first one I was given out here was 24 gr of Varget and when I looked that up in the Sierra reloading manual it exceeded max load by a long shot. I'm looking to duplicate the PMC 55 gr FMJ BT @ 2900 FPS which was listed as the most accurate loads. Now if I could define what power and primer PMC uses I would be good to go for starters. The manual said 21.5 gr of RE7 will give 2,900 FPS to their 55GR FMJ BT.
Be aware that manuals are always conservative. Id suggest investing in a chronograph for load development.

Reactions: XP1K
Be aware that manuals are always conservative. Id suggest investing in a chronograph for load development.
I have one you stick on the end of the bbl. Will be using it Monday at the range on my 308 TAC 21 to check the advertise speed of Federal Gold Metal Match 175 gr SMKBT and see how they group compared to my home grown rounds.

I've shot plenty of the PMC 55 FMJ bronze box ammo. It's not exactly "precision" or "match" quality. It's probably 2 or 3 MOA ammo at best and isn't something that you should emulate for accuracy. It's good "plinking/blasting" ammo.

24.5 gr of Varget with a 69 SMK loaded to about 2.250" cartridge length using Lake City mil surp brass and a good small rifle primer is a safe bet to be VERY accurate. You can also do the 55 Blitzking with about 25 grains of H335 using the same brass and same cartridge length if you'd rather use a 55 grain bullet.

-ZA

I've shot plenty of the PMC 55 FMJ bronze box ammo. It's not exactly "precision" or "match" quality. It's probably 2 or 3 MOA ammo at best and isn't something that you should emulate for accuracy. It's good "plinking/blasting" ammo.

24.5 gr of Varget with a 69 SMK loaded to about 2.250" cartridge length using Lake City mil surp brass and a good small rifle primer is a safe bet to be VERY accurate. You can also do the 55 Blitzking with about 25 grains of H335 using the same brass and same cartridge length if you'd rather use a 55 grain bullet.

-ZA
Yep, just looked both of these up in the manual and they say 2,900 FPS. Thanks

Benchmark, AR-Comp, or N135. Load from 24.2-24.7, and probably near 24.5 with one will be your best load possible.
You mean N140 instead of N135?
N135 is mostly maxed at 22.6
N140 however at 24.7.
(Maxed for 223rem, not for 556, but still)

Yes, 205, my mistake.
Internet load data….
2850 in your brass, your primer. Probably a good bet. I’ve shot thousands this way and at 3000 in 24” bolt gun.
Yes, that’s the only primer I am familiar with. YMMV
2520 is another good powder. Dont forget priming first though. It can create quite a mess that ball powder lol

Last edited:
Reactions: hellzna
You mean N140 instead of N135?
N135 is mostly maxed at 22.6
N140 however at 24.7.
(Maxed for 223rem, not for 556, but still)
These loads are for 62 grain bullets. You are talking about 77 grain bullets. BTW 24.7 grains of N140 for 77 is totally wrong, and not maximum. That is WAY higher than maximum. I just made a huge thread about this, and tested like 8 book maximums using 77 SMK with book specs. Maximum for N140 is around 24.1. If 24.1 = 2750 FPS using 20" barrel, you want to take a guess where 24.7 is? Orbit. Here is the point, some guy on here already nailed it. he said something about forget about pet loads from me. Just start 10% down, and work up until its accurate.

If you do what that guy said, you will see what area is maximum for yourself, with a chrono, easily. Book maximum is NOT maximum for you. People have no idea what I am talking about, when I say that. They think 55k PSI max means using that bullet and that powder load = book max. This is completely false. Debunked, over and over and over and over and over, today, yesterday and everyday, debunked. In reality, huge amount of book data is way way lower than 55ki psi, and some is higher by a lot. You need to go low, then work up, and then you know.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sibe
These loads are for 62 grain bullets. You are talking about 77 grain bullets. BTW 24.7 grains of N140 for 77 is totally wrong, and not maximum. That is WAY higher than maximum. I just made a huge thread about this, and tested like 8 book maximums using 77 SMK with book specs. Maximum for N140 is around 24.1. If 24.1 = 2750 FPS using 20" barrel, you want to take a guess where 24.7 is? Orbit. Here is the point, some guy on here already nailed it. he said something about forget about pet loads from me. Just start 10% down, and work up until its accurate.

If you do what that guy said, you will see what area is maximum for yourself, with a chrono, easily. Book maximum is NOT maximum for you. People have no idea what I am talking about, when I say that. They think 55k PSI max means using that bullet and that powder load = book max. This is completely false. Debunked, over and over and over and over and over, today, yesterday and everyday, debunked. In reality, huge amount of book data is way way lower than 55ki psi, and some is higher by a lot. You need to go low, then work up, and then you know.
You need to learn before lecturing.

1682039146646.png

Reactions: Raistlin2947

View attachment 8124534
And I don't mean to lecture anyone, I am just telling the guy the truth. Proved it last week, proved it last year, I test AR15's weekly almost, by the dozen, with every single powder you can buy, I have every bullet you can buy probably.

I can tell you without a doubt, the most accurate load data out there is Hodgdon (for real world testing I have done). VV is HOT, and Hornady, Berger is super conservative. Nosler is a mixed bag, some is super hot, some is conservative.

What is funny is that over 1 GRAIN HIGHER Than Hodgdon's book max, which is realistic max, not fantasy, at 24.9 IS NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same FPS as what VV says is their SAAMI Max! That is unbelievable. Because VV's data is not realistic or accurate. The VV data is putting you way high pressure, and the brass supports it. I load 0.8 grains LESS than the VV max, and its STILL HOT with N540 at 2800+ FPS?

I guess you were not expecting, that I just tested this IRL last week, with all same conditions. The brass internal capacity was large too. Not small, because the brass was on light end, not 100+ GRN end.

Last edited:
You really, like for real, do not understand a manufacturer's book maximum MAY not be SAAMI maximum of 55ki in "reality"? LIke for real, you DONT KNOW THAT? Don't you think everyone can read? It says 24.7. But this is way hotter than SAAMI spec. Some guy, LIKE YOU, argued this last week. So I loaded up a bunch of book maximums in the SAME BRASS, using 77 SMK at same OAL as book (powder manufacturer book) and tested it in 20" barrel. And guess what. 24.7 is super hot, and definitly NOT 55k PSI. like 100% not.
1a687f11-3920-4dc4-ae3a-d9f55a4d8a33

Unless you think that VV's load data is accurate and the labradar is busted, and you really BELIEVE that 24.7 N140 is 2800+ FPS in 20" barrel, which is literally 150 FPS faster than Hodgdon's book maximum of Varget? So you are saying N140 at 55k PSI is 150 FPS faster than varget? And for KICKS, because its fun, do you also believe that "VV's book max" of N540 makes 77 SMK at 2.260 2,884 FPS? So that is not overpressure? I mean burs and stamps for the N140 and N540 brass, but you think I can't read and its "really" book max. What about Berger's load data? or Hornady? or Nosler? Or you name it. Why all their load data with same bullet, same OAL, so different? you don't know?

Berger is owned by NAMMO, same company as VV. So why, does BERGER's load book say "maximum" is 22.4 using 77 grain OTM, which is very similar load data to 77 SMK? Oh, you didn't know that? You want to post a pic of that load data?

In Berger's commercial 77 Grain Ammo they sell, its 24.1 grains of N140 and its ~2750 FPS. I am not sure you know that there is not a lot of options within SAAMI spec, that can do 2750 FPS in a 20" barrel using a 77 Grain bullet.

And I don't mean to lecture anyone, I am just telling the guy the truth. Proved it last week, proved it last year, I test AR15's weekly almost, by the dozen, with every single powder you can buy, I have every bullet you can buy probably. I test so much, I know who's load data is not accurate and who's is more accurate.

I can tell you without a doubt, the most accurate load data out there is Hodgdon. VV super HOT, and Hornady, Berger is super conservative. Nosler is a mixed bag, some is super hot, some is conservative.

What is funny is that over 1 GRAIN HIGHER Than Hodgdon's book max, which is realistic max, not fantasy, at 24.9 IS NOT EVEN CLOSE to the same FPS as what VV says is their SAAMI Max! That is unbelievable. Because VV's data is not realistic or accurate. The VV data is putting you way high pressure, and the brass supports it. I load 0.8 grains LESS than the VV max, and its STILL HOT with N540 at 2800+ FPS?

I guess you were not expecting, that I just tested this IRL last week, with all same conditions. The brass internal capacity was large too. Not small, because the brass was on light end, not 100+ GRN end.
Wow, that's some thin skin .

Sweet story bro . Your opinions and testing don't mean shit . I can read right through your bullshit . What testing equipment did you use to measure pressure ? Lets start there and work up if you pass the audition .

PS Do you realize not all 225/556 are not gas operated?

Last edited:
remember that most manuals are for .223 not 5.56 so make sure what chamber you are going to be using. A hot 223 load probably won't be a hot load in a 5.56 chamber

Reactions: Balor
I had some good success with 69gr HPBT at 50 yards. 23gr of H335. 18" 223 Wylde barrel.

55gr smk is most important to me

There's no such thing as a 55 grain Sierra MatchKing, so I'll assume that you're referring to the 55 grain Sierra BlitzKing. For shorter distances, the 55 grain BlitzKing has been one of the most consistently accurate/precise bullets for use in a semi-automatic AR-15 that I've tested.

55_grain_bullets_comparison_04_resizedb-1618659.jpg

The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from one of my precision AR-15s using a handload topped with the 55 grain BlitzKing.

55_grain_blitzkings_10_shot_group_at_100-1353790.jpg

Find yourself some VihtaVuori N133 and work up a load for the 55 grain BlitzKing in your barrel using my Accuracy Node Detection Technique.

Yes, I was reading about this powder this morning and it said it was the cleanest burning and more accurate burning powder used by many precision shooters -VihtaVuori N133. I will look into this and the Sierra 55 gr Blitzking ver the Hornady 55 gr FMJ-BT. If I wanted to eventually go out to 600 yards I guessing the 55 gr is out and 66 and 77 gr is in due to wind drift. Is that correct. Just sooo much to take in. I would love to be able to shoot a 10 shot group like you have shown @ 100 yards

There's no such thing as a 55 grain Sierra MatchKing, so I'll assume that you're referring to the 55 grain Sierra BlitzKing. For shorter distances, the 55 grain BlitzKing has been one of the most consistently accurate/precise bullets for use in a semi-automatic AR-15 that I've tested.

55_grain_bullets_comparison_04_resizedb-1618659.jpg

The 10-shot group pictured below was fired from one of my precision AR-15s using a handload topped with the 55 grain BlitzKing.

55_grain_blitzkings_10_shot_group_at_100-1353790.jpg

Find yourself some VihtaVuori N133 and work up a load for the 55 grain BlitzKing in your barrel using my Accuracy Node Detection Technique.

Whoo, I did a little looking around and found this - https://www.vihtavuori.com/powder/n133-rifle-powder/ and this - https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/rifle-reloading/?cartridge=7. Did not find a load for the 55 gr Blitz King but I guessing it close to being like the 55 gr Berger, FB Varmint. Thanks for the heads up on a great powder.

using pmc brass and a remington 7 1/2 and 55 grain hornady hpbt try 25.0 grains H335, 26.0 W748 or 25-25.5 Benchmark.
All 3 of those loads were between 2900 and 3000 fps out of a 16" barrel. They were all slightly faster than the factory pmc load but slower than the factory winchester white box 5.56. A cci #41 primer works good too but I would use 25 grains of benchmark or less but keep the H335 and W748 the same.

Just buy some H335 its cheap it works great its available drop it in add the tip and go have fun

using pmc brass and a remington 7 1/2 and 55 grain hornady hpbt try 25.0 grains H335, 26.0 W748 or 25-25.5 Benchmark.
All 3 of those loads were between 2900 and 3000 fps out of a 16" barrel. They were all slightly faster than the factory pmc load but slower than the factory winchester white box 5.56. A cci #41 primer works good too but I would use 25 grains of benchmark or less but keep the H335 and W748 the same.

Just buy some H335 its cheap it works great its available drop it in add the tip and go have fun
Thank you very much. Great information.

Last edited:
Thank you very much. Great information.

Well, there is nothing like the next question. Since all I have is an RCBS Rockchucker and the wife and I are going thru about 200 rounds a week could I get some suggestion on what progressive press to buy that will drop powder charges as accurate as I need them to be which to me would be +/- 1/10 of a grain. Oh, while I out here I may as well ask. Has anyone used IMR 4064 in the 223 since I see it listed in the Sierra manual for the 55 gr bullet. This powder has worked great for me in my 308 and since I have it I may as well ask if anyone has tried it and what were the results.

Last edited:
I would recommend for that amount of shooting try a Dillon 550 and if you aren’t happy with powder thrower accuracy you can always just single load the powder.
The accuracy is dependent to a degree on powder type.
Varget for example won’t be a good choice for a thrower.
I have an Apex 10 setup for 223 and a Dillon 650 for 9mm and use a 550 for misc stuff in volume

I would recommend for that amount of shooting try a Dillon 550 and if you aren’t happy with powder thrower accuracy you can always just single load the powder.
The accuracy is dependent to a degree on powder type.
Varget for example won’t be a good choice for a thrower.
I have an Apex 10 setup for 223 and a Dillon 650 for 9mm and use a 550 for misc stuff in volume
Thanks, we will look. into Dillion

77 SMK 2.260
Varget 24.0
N140 24.1-24.2
N540 24.5
Benchmark 22.0
N135 22.0, 23.0
8208 XBR 23.3, 23.6
AR Comp 22.8
AA2230 22.0
RL15 24.0

69 Grain SMK 2.260
Varget 25-25.1
RL15 25-25.1
Norma 203B 25-25.1

55 Grain SMK/or Blitzking
Benchmark 25.0
AA2230 26.0, 24.5
AR Comp 25.2-25.3
W748 26.4
H335 25.0
N133 24.5-24.7
N530 25.1

Good luck

Don't think I'll be going with 24 gr of varget with a 77 gr bullet

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 4.10.12 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-22 at 4.10.12 PM.png
    357.5 KB · Views: 177
Whoo, I did a little looking around and found this - https://www.vihtavuori.com/powder/n133-rifle-powder/ and this - https://www.vihtavuori.com/reloading-data/rifle-reloading/?cartridge=7. Did not find a load for the 55 gr Blitz King but I guessing it close to being like the 55 gr Berger, FB Varmint. Thanks for the heads up on a great powder.

The Sierra Manual has data for N133 with the 55 grain BlitzKing. While you're at it, get some N140 for the 77 grain SMK. The 10-shot group pictured below was fired prone off the bipod from a semi-automatic AR-15 using the 77 SMK with N140. The group has an extreme spread of 0.54 MOA.

lothar_walther_77_smk_bipod_100_yards_me-2789865.jpg

The Sierra Manual has data for N133 with the 55 grain BlitzKing. While you're at it, get some N140 for the 77 grain SMK. The 10-shot group pictured below was fired prone off the bipod from a semi-automatic AR-15 using the 77 SMK with N140. The group has an extreme spread of 0.54 MOA.

Please tell me what type of scope you are using. I have a Vortex 1 -6 red dot on the AR now but I do have a Leopold 1-12 AR scope in the safe. What type of scope does it take to be able to refine you position on the target to get this type of groups. Have you tried this Blitz King out to the 400 and 600 yard range yet.

Don't think I'll be going with 24 gr of varget with a 77 gr bullet

So, you’re real new to reloading, correct?

Book values tend to be usable, but they also tend to have a pretty decent safety factor built in. Use safe reloading practices for sure.

My 77smk loads tend to be 23.9-24.1gr Varget, depending on what brass I’m using.

So, you’re real new to reloading, correct?

Book values tend to be usable, but they also tend to have a pretty decent safety factor built in. Use safe reloading practices for sure.

My 77smk loads tend to be 23.9-24.1gr Varget, depending on what brass I’m using.

I think it shows 23.7 gr of Varget is a compressed load so 24.1 must really be compressed. Anyway thanks for the insight. maybe some cases hold more than others. I'll be using PMC, LC and Remington. Don't have any idea which one has the most volume.

nice shooting molon I also have a Lothar Walther and I don't shoot that good / mine doesn't shoot that good

Well I see where IMR 4064 and Varget are close in burn rate so has anyone out here had any luck with IMR 4064 behind a 55 gr BlitzKing at 100 yards to 600 yards - https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2020-burn-rate-chart.pdf I'm trying to avoid having to buy more than one powder for my two caliber which are 308 and 223. The IMR 4064 seems to work very well in my 308 TAC 21 with the 175 but it hates 168. After reading all the input out here and checking my pocketbook it looks like AA 2230 is going to have to do with small rifle match primers and 55gr Blitz Kings @ or around 24 gr. We shall see. Thanks everyone

Attachments

• IMG_3311.JPG
    IMG_3311.JPG
    279.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Then get ARComp and call it good.
IMR 4064 is a longer stick powder and will be difficult to get enough in a 223 case for top end speeds but if velocity is not that important it will work.
AR Comp is still a better choice though.
Benchmark is good too.

Then get ARComp and call it good.
IMR 4064 is a longer stick powder and will be difficult to get enough in a 223 case for top end speeds but if velocity is not that important it will work.
AR Comp is still a better choice though.
Benchmark is good too.

Accuracy to me is most important. I can always compensate for bullet drop and wind since most real world shots will be within 300 yards anyway. The bottomline for me is cost savings since everything in priced well off the chart for the average income person. I have to be able to have fun and keep the skills up at minimum cost. Ops, I just had a thought. Has any tried to vibrate the cartridge to be loading during the powder throwing process to get the flacks or cylindrical formed powder to settle into place to make more room in the cartridge or avoid a compressed load. Maybe a machine like a ultrasonic transducer or even a medical vial shaker? Thanks

Last edited:

View attachment 8124534
VV is EU so the number are CIP (62k) , not Saami spec (55-58k), and they have totally different numbers. Not that anything is wrong, with either, they are book numbers are are what they are.

62,366 psi

According to the official CIP rulings, the . 223 Remington can handle up to 430.00 MPa (62,366 psi) Pmax piezo pressure. In CIP-regulated countries, every rifle cartridge combination has to be proofed at 125% of this maximum CIP pressure to certify for sale to consumers.
PS. Please don't shoot the messenger. (y)

Reactions: no one cares
Just built one round of 223 with a 55 gr FMJ-BT bullet at 25.8 gr of IMR 4064. No problem what so ever using a funnel to get the powder into the case but I will say there was little if any room for allowing me to seat the bullet to the correct depth. I sincerely believe the base of the bullet was in contact with the powder before completing the require OAL. With that said I thinking the 2900 FPS as shown in the manual will be all I can achieve which is well below the advertise MV of America Eagle's 55gr FMJ-BT @ 3,240 FPS. I won't do this but it appears if you are using IMR 4064 you could bypass weighing the powder charge. Just scoop the brass down into the 8 pound keg, fill it to the rim, put the bullet on and set it to the required OAL and sill be safe. I did look at the powder from the factory loaded PMC round under a magnifying glass and it looked like little small circular disc. 24.6 gr to make an advertised 2,900 FPS.

Attachments

• IMG_6576.jpeg
    IMG_6576.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_6575.jpeg
    IMG_6575.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 42
Keep it simple. Grab a good powder such as Accurate 2230-Ramshot Xterminator or Hodgdon Benchmark. Grab some cci 450 or Remington 7.5 primers. Hornady 50 grain vmax or Sierra 55 Blitzking bullets. This should get you around 1/2 Moa if you have a decent rifle.

Keep it simple. Grab a good powder such as Accurate 2230-Ramshot Xterminator or Hodgdon Benchmark. Grab some cci 450 or Remington 7.5 primers. Hornady 50 grain vmax or Sierra 55 Blitzking bullets. This should get you around 1/2 Moa if you have a decent rifle.

Well, I looked at all three powder and each one can get me close to the 3,240 FPS with maybe a few 1/10 over max load. That would get me in the ball park of matching the speed of factory 223 match ammo off the shelf. Now to find out which one if the most stable in all temperatures and burn rate is consistent. Never used any of these powder because I never owned anything less than a 243 Winchester which I regret getting rid of as well as my 7mm mag. Anyway if you have more information please let me know. We are going to give this a try since my understanding is these manuals are on the conservative side and ~ 3,240 FPS is what I am striving for.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 8.32.35 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 8.32.35 AM.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 8.32.08 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 8.32.08 AM.png
    115.6 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 8.32.55 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-26 at 8.32.55 AM.png
    70 KB · Views: 66
Last edited: