• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LOOKING FOR LOAD DATA FOR REMINGTON 700 VTR

Gunreaper

Private
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2009
Oklahoma
Hello everyone. I am working on loads for my Rem 700 VTR in .308 cal.

I am using...

169gr A-Max Bullets
4895 IMR Powder
210 Fed Primers
LC Brass and Winchester Brass

I am working up some loads between 41gr-42.5gr. I would like to find someone using simular loads in a Rem 700 VTR. Looking for charge amount of 4895 IMR and bullet seating dept.

Re: LOOKING FOR LOAD DATA FOR REMINGTON 700 VTR

coal 2.800 I'll leave the powder up to you since your working it up.
grin.gif

Funny thing is, when I first started getting into reloading I made a big rookie boo boo. I loaded like 30 cartridges at 43.2gr of IMR which was .1gr below hornady's max load. And that I believe screwed up my rem 700's firing pin hole. People said it still looks ok and Rem said it was normal for it to crater primers some because they beveled the inside edge of the hole. However, I went to walmart and looked at one of there 700's and pulled their bolt out and looked at it and doesnt look anything like mine. Oh well, I will send mine off to greg tannel to bush the fireing pin after I get the load I want.

Was that yesterday??
Reloading manual would be a good place to start if you are new to it.
There's a bunch of load info in this forum, just look around.

Little tip-Min and LC will be a little different load due to different case capacities......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunreaper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello everyone. I am working on loads for my Rem 700 VTR in .308 cal.</div></div>

I have the same rifle you have and I believe the Harmonics on that triangle barrel are screwed! I have several loads that shoot under 1-moa in it including factory FGMM 168's, but the kicker is they all do it for 3 or 4 shots then the groups go to hell.
If I let it cool for 10 minutes it will shoot 3 or 4 in a tight group and go to hell again. The forend of the stock is putting pressure on the barrel as it comes from the factory and I thought that might be doing it so I free floated it and glass bedded the action....didn't help at all. It is currently at my local dealers shop with a foresale sign on it.
If it doesn't sell I will probably rebarrel it.
Let me know if yours is shooting the same way.

Hey USMC, I have been working on different loads, still haven't found the one I like yet, but as far as your group differing I don't know. Mine seems to shoot 1 flyer on the first shot and the rest tend to be pretty tight. The first shot is not always a cold bore shot. Just enough time to reload and fire again.

So far on my reloading, I am trying to find a good charge still. Right now I am at 42.8gr of IMR 4895 and 168gr a-maxs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: usmcsniperone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
If it doesn't sell I will probably rebarrel it.
</div></div>

Mine never shot as well as I wanted it to either, even having some work done to it. Eventually I sent it to GAP and they rebarreled it. Shoots now, but isn't really a VTR any longer.

Ok, I loaded up some more with my new winchester brass instead of the LC brass.

I am using 168gr A-maxs, IMR 4895 Powder, Winchester brass

Below are pics of the targets with different loads. Starting on the left and going right.

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Left:</span> 41.6gr/2425fps, <span style="font-weight: bold">Center:</span> 42.8gr/2550fps, <span style="font-weight: bold">Right:</span> 43gr/2570fps</span>

I also I loaded up 2 rounds of 42.8gr using Lake city brass and the velocity was around 2640fps. I am trying to stay close to 2600fps, but with the best accuracy. I do not see any signs of high pressures, however I may not recognize minor signs. In my opinion the 41.6 has proved to be pretty tight but only around 2425fps. On the other hand 43gr is also tight, but at 43grs it is getting close to the max load of 43.3gr as printed in the Hornady 7th edition book.

Maybe someone on here could help me decide the best powder charge.

Have you looked at the loads suggested by IMR? In the current Hodgdon (Now the parent company of IMR and Winchester powders)manual, the min to max range for 168 grain SMK bullets goes from 41.1 grains to 45.4c grains.

It's possible you are seeing pressure signs with LC brass but you are still safely below max with other, non mil. brass. Check out the Lyman, Lee and other manuals and be reassured.

Don't just plunge forward in this endeavor man, you only have one face.

Start cautiously, with arm loads of info.

I am going to check some other reloading manuals to kinda compare. I think I am going to stay at 43gr. Seems my tightest groups are at 41.6gr and around 43gr. May try jumping the charge load to 43.1 or 43.2 just to check the accuracy.

After going to a match sat. with the Odessa gang I've decided to scrap the VTR barrel, Have Hart put on a 40X and start shooting some F-class matches seriously. I bought the VTR for a deer hunting rig, not a Tactical/Match gun and as far as I can see thats about all that barrel is good for JMO.

Is anyone finding this triangular barrel a good idea? Gun rag articles have typically hailed the geometry as the optimal tradeoff of barrel stiffness and reduced weight.

I am still repulsed at the appearance but could be persuaded if it works! I am not hearing that thus far.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is anyone finding this triangular barrel a good idea? Gun rag articles have typically hailed the geometry as the optimal tradeoff of barrel stiffness and reduced weight.

I am still repulsed at the appearance but could be persuaded if it works! I am not hearing that thus far.

</div></div>

I got the 1st one that came through Jerry's sport center dealer supply and I thought it was going to be the best thing since sliced bread! What I found was this: The stock is about the cheapest plastic thing made, The so called brake doesn't work other than making it loader, the x-pro trigger isn't bad...like the old one better myself.The goofy barrel does make it lighter, but the harmonics I believe are screwed up as the barrel doesn't heat up evenly compared to a round or fluted barrel.

Other than all that rant...It looks cool!

well after increasing my powder charge and higher velocities my 700 vtr is shooting pretty straight and consistent groups now.

At lower velocities when I was working up on some reloads the gun would shoot 2-3 shots almost touching and then spit 1 flyer(normally would be 1 inch from the rest of the groups and to the left)

However, I worked up to about 43gr of IMR 4895 with a 168gr A-max and finally have good groups. Maybe try a simular load.

Can anyone give me the max load data using a 168gr A-max and IMR 4895 powder. I have the hornady 7th edition, but would like to compare with other books? I assume if other books don't have 168gr A-maxs, I could use sierra MK's. Would like to know what the max load with the bullet weight and powder I am using compare in other books.

Gunreaper... try varget powder. I am running
169gr A-Max Bullets
varget
CCI Primers
LC Brass

coal 2.800 w/42.5 grains
With Great success

168 amax
2.835coal
45 grains varget

Was shooting out to 500 last week. Over all on the vtr it has been ok it was a xmas present from the wife so at least she was trying. now that i am getting into this more it is not my first choice but will work till i have saved enough to get a stick built