• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Looking for my 1st semi-auto handgun....

shootnfarmer

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2009
I would like to go with a 1911, looking for opinions on the best outfit (firearm, 2-4 mags) that i can get for $1200-1500. 5" barrel prefered, gun to be used for target/possible competition/etc. Also the best brand of aftermarket mag, since I keep hearing how important quality mags are.
Thanks everybody,

Shaun

Re: Looking for my 1st semi-auto handgun....

Read on brother.. tons of info on here about 1911's. Use Google and do a search on "1911 best mags" and lots will come up. Keep with the major names and you should be good. I've had Springfield and Les Baer.. Still have the Baer TRS but the Springer (Mil-Spec) was nice too.

I like the STI Trojan which will come in @ the lower end of your price range. I prefer Wilson mag's

There is more information on which 1911 is the best on this site than the law should allow.

The point is to do the research on who is posting and whether or not their opinion is valid and that they are not some Condo Commando that is regurgitating Internet drivel.

For every manufacturer of factory guns, Kimber, Springfield Colt etc, you will read good and bad, based upon people's limited experience.

The best advice is to try and shoot some high end guns like the Les Baer, STI, Ed Brown and then shoot some factory guns and see what YOU like.

Asking other people what guns to buy is somewhat a kin to asking how my shoes will fit your feet. Get out and shoot and make an informed decision.

FWIW, I shot the Ruger 1911 yesterday and for the $, its not a bad shooting gun. Not all of frills of the customs shops, but three dot sights, beaver tail grip safety and just a solid stainless steel gun that runs well and shoots where you point it.

Good pic on the 1911!! That's what I carry everywhere, when allowed. I would suggest what the last post said, try as many different types as you can and see what you like. For that price range, you can find a Springfield TRP, which get great reviews. I carry Les Baers and am truly in love with them. Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, and Nighthawk will be a little above your price range. But if like what you see in them, spend the time to save up and purchase what you see fits you the best based on your needs and likes.
For magazines, I've had the best luck with Wilsons. I'm currently using the newest edition, the Wilson ETM, and have had great luck with it.

If you are serious about a 1911, go to 10-8performanceDOTcom. Read the entries under "Articles". Hilton Yam presents a "no BS" overview of 1911s, reliability, maintenance, acceptable duty mags, and his opinion of "duty worthy" 1911s. Also, check out his Blogspot. His approach is for a "duty worthy"/life-depends-on-it weapon.

Be careful on your purchase, and do a LOT of searching before taking the plunge. There are several threads on this forum and others addressing the 1911 - do a search. For example, a very popular 1911 looks slick, has all the bells and whistles, and Swartz(Schwartz) safety system, but I would never stake my life on it.

Kevin

Springfield TRP or Ed Brown.

I carry a Kimber tac pro II. weapon is great. KIMBER as a company is garbage.. horrible customer service, horrible warranty. Weapon has roughly 5K rounds through and stress cracks are visible on the frame. great shooting gun though.

good luck.

Personal preference is a big factor. What finish do you like, what trigger, what look, do you want a base pistol to build on, do you want to spend money one time and be done? The questions/possibilities are endless. I personally have a Springfield TRP and love it after I had some work done to it. Read, read, read, and get to the range and shoot some of your friends pistols. Or make friends with those that have what you are interested in. Good luck.

i would go with wilson mags , and do allot of reading .
brian enso fourms has allot of info about pistol competitions and equiptment . 1911s are like potato chips

1911, great choice. for your price range you should be able to get something nice. I would go with Wilson 8rnd mags based on my experience and what I have read here and elsewhere. As for which gun to get that is up to YOUR prefernce. I would advise you go to a range and try a few out. I have a Kimber Custom Eclipse and love it, but I got a deal on it. If I was to buy again I would look strongly at an upper end SA for the money you where looking to spend. Best of luck.

Springfield TRP or Operators are a good value for the money. Just look around to find one that has the options you want. Spend the money for the Wilson mags. You won't be sorry you did.

I have shot and owned a lot of different 1911s. Price is always a consideration when purchasing one of these so I will break them up by custom and stock pistols.

My favorite custom manufacturer is Les Baer. Wilson Combat, Nighthawk and others all make fine custom made made 1911s but for the money and the customer service my favorite are the Les Baer.

If you are looking to buy off the shelf, I think that three manufacturers tend to make their 1911s a little better then the others. My favorites are Colt, S&W and Sig. Their 1911s all seem to have a better fit and finish with slightly tighter fits between frame and slide then the other manufacturers.

The next step down and it is a minor step is Kimber and Springfield. They are serviceable pistols but their fit and finish are just a little behind the others.

My value pick is going to be the new Ruger 1911, for the money it is a nice gun.

I have a Kimber Pro CDP II and a Springfield Ultra Compact and like them both. I am a little concerned about the allow frame on the Kimber, particularly since they tell you not to use shock buffers, it is light and shoots well, but can be finicky about ammo. The Springfield will eat anything and is pretty sloppy (and the porting blacks out the front sight dot after one shot)but shoots reasonably well, especially in rapid and less precise situations. All that tells me the advice about trying as many on as you can, making a list of what you like and don't, is good. I would also make sure that the non-standard tweaks (like the Kimber recoil spring assembly) be kept to a minimum to give you more flexibility for repairs and/or modifications later on.

i picked up a springfield A1-Loaded for around $900 and swaped out the guide rod and recoil spring and it's cherry. i use ed brown and night hawk mags (prefer the nighthawks), i love them. I've heard from others that springfields don't like wilson mags.

BTW.. if you can find a good condition used 1911 of your fancy, that is a great way to save some money and break-in time. Let the other guy break it in and you buy when it's all buttery smooth.. or just about. That's what I did with my TRS and couldn't be happier. I don't mind buying a used gun if the end user "used" the gun.. I don't like "modified" guns though, b/c I don't know who did the work. Used factory is a good way to go, as most don't get near the use out of them as they suspected they would.

hawk , you right on the money . good point
i would keep looking on the fourms and gun broker , you can save allot of coin. Just dont buy one from someone who shoots IDPA OR IPSC . Think about it most high end 1911s go from safe to range in a nice bag , cleaned and put back in safe .

I join Mark, cp3 and swordfish in their opinion. Been messn with em for nearly 40 years off n on.
A nice 40 year old Colt at an estate sale is a nice find too. Easily fixed up with upgraded sights and re-finished.
I had a 1960's Super 38 Automatic that Clark Custom accurized. Two and a half inches at 50.

I concur on Wilson mags but they're $30.00. There are a number of others. Don't spend a bundle on single stack mags. If it runs what else is it supposed to do whether its expensive or inexpensive?

Dan Wesson is a good option in that price range.

I agree on the Dan Wesson. I regret selling my Dan Wesson Valor. It was a tack driver.

I keep reading all the Kimber hate on here and "I" can't say the same thing.
My CDP Pro has had several thousand round through it with zero problems. I've changed the recoil spring a few times just because I'm sure it needed it.
I've had a Wilson Professional, Brown Cobra and a Fusion 10mm. All shot extremly well, never bobbled, but for an everyday carry gun I liked the weight savings of the CDP.
I do plan to get a Ed Brown LW Cobra when I find a reasonable priced used one.

I also recommend the Wilson mags.

Anybody own a Sig Scorpion? I might order one.
beretta989

Lots of good advice up top I've had Seven springfields 3 TRP's. The TRP is a great gun! i love them, just bought a colt Rail Gun and im not happy with it at all, its at a smith now getting a full work over. Dan Wessons are great guns as well and the Valor is in the top of your range.

I use all Wilson ETM mags. Try buying a couple different mags, Chip, Wilson, Metalform, and so on. See what works best in YOUR 1911

I dont have near the experience as some of these other guys this is just some of what i have learned.

Good luck,
Shawn.

Springfield 1911's are good. The ruger 1911 also initally seems to be good.
as far as mags wilson or novak are 2 of the best

Before purchasing any handgun, find a range that rents guns and shoot different models to learn what fits your hand. Pistols are simple: if it fits your hand you will likely shoot it well, if it doesn't fit you will not shoot it well. You can compensate slow fire, but action shooting or weak hand will let you know if a pistol is right for you.

I have small hands and a 1911 fits perfectly. I have a friend who is 6'4" and the 1911 is too small for his hands. His primary is a Para P14. I love my Glock 20, but could never shoot to my potential as the grip is just too big.

For 1911's, you won't go wrong with an STI. The Spartan for under $700 is a great deal. I bought a used Les Baer Premier 2 in 1995. I have not cried since.

I haven't shot a sig, however, I don't like that they strayed from the original design (external extractor). This is strictly a personal preference.

For mags, I love my wilsons. I have never heard someone say they had a problem with a wilson mag. Since the internet finds people to complain about everything, I think that is the biggest endorsement you can find.

I have a Kimber Warrior in the black finish not the annoying "tactical tan". I love it. It has all the features I want. As for the Kimber haters up the page if you really think a S&W is better than a Kimber then you haven't owned both. My S&W back when I had it I think it was a Gunsite model was complete crap. You can't go wong with a classic 1911 by any of the big name customizers. I like Wilson mags.

I've shot my dads springfield 1911, I like it! Seems to be a good gun for sure!

read, read and then read some more, then go and put your hands on as many as you can.

i prefer wilson combat etm mags, even if your a guy who likes another mag they will admit the wilson etm is a great mag.

Unless you are going top end such as a Springfield Professional ect. you are going to have to put some "love" into a factory 1911 to make it run like a top (polishing, coating, chambering, ect.)

One of if not the best 1911's for the money on the market is Dan Wesson. Heritage is a little over 1K and Valor about 1.4k both excellent. Fit and finish,triggers are excellent and very good accuracy, comes ramps polished... very dependable have Heritage with over 1000 rnds of ball, HP and no FTF's at all including breakin.
Damn near Nighthawk, or Wilson quality. nothing out there close for that price including springfield's affordable stuff.

Although CZ owned DW these pistols are made here in the good old in USA NY
1911 lovers... Try it you'll like it..A..LOT!

Good articles from Hilton at 10-8, for sure. Interesting to read of many issues I haven't encountered yet, and the info dovetails well with what I've seen and heard from other sources.

Like ARs, there's approximately eighty-gazillion choices in the how and when and why of 1911s. It's just a question of what you want, so the most important thing to do is figure out your own needs right off the bat. Not what a competition shooter says you want, or what a SWAT guy thinks works best for him. Understand yourself and your preferences, and the right pistol can be found using that knowledge as a guideline.

In your price range, go talk to STI for the gun.

Stay away from Kimber unless you really like expensive things that break and need fiddling with in order to get them to work like they should.

For mags, get Chip McCormick "Shooting Star" mags. (FYI everyone else copies these)