• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for Northeast Course

Farmervigs

Private
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2019
Hey all, just starting to dip my toes into the whole precision rifle thing. Got a pretty sweet build (my thinking at least, 6.5 creedmore action, bartlein Barrel, McMillan stock). Only range I have around me is 100 yards, I’m in CT. Looking into beginner courses at ridgeline shooting or sig, however nothing is posted for late 2023 dates or 2024 dates. Any recommendations in the Northeast area? Also looking for ranges outside of CT that offer more than 100 yards- don’t mind traveling.

Change the title to “looking for a course in the NE” bonehead

@pmclaine can you share him some details on Sig please?

@Rob01 I know CT was your old stomping grounds any info you can pass

I still vote on a FL Man trip and we go to Altus

Change the title to “looking for a course in the NE” bonehead

@pmclaine can you share him some details on Sig please?

@Rob01 I know CT was your old stomping grounds any info you can pass

I still vote on a FL Man trip and we go to Altus
Frig off Fudd. I agree Florida trip is already in works however thats for the hunt and to see the kin. Times is tough with that far, versus 3-5 hours north or south I can at least get the basics down. Shit I’m playing around with 100 with the special as my spotter.

Reactions: TheBigCountry
Ridgeline is the way to go. Sig isna country club where they will spend more time pushing their rifles. Have taken several Ridgeline courses and have buddies who have taken several more. You won't be disappointed.

SIG classes get better once you get through the entry level ones, but it does feel like they stretch out the curriculum to milk people. Haven't done Ridgeline personally, but have heard good things from a couple guys I know who have.

The only long ranges with some distance outside of CT are Sheepdog Warrior range in Catskill Ny and Granby Bow and Gun club in Granby Ma, both are 1000 yards.
Good luck.

Ps forgot to mention Granby club is doing a fun prs style match on Saturday November 4th, it is listed on practiscore ( Granby prs club match 1). Good chance to check out the club and shoot some distance.

Alderbrook has a match the following weekend, bit more of a drive though.

Granby has 1000 yards. I've heard great things about ridgeline, so I'd just keep checking on them for an upcoming class

Reactions: Farmervigs
The only long ranges with some distance outside of CT are Sheepdog Warrior range in Catskill Ny and Granby Bow and Gun club in Granby Ma, both are 1000 yards.
Good luck.
What’s the scuttlebutt on crossing state lines into Mass with rifles from out of state?

What’s the scuttlebutt on crossing state lines into Mass with rifles from out of state?
Don’t get caught. Mass is iffy but it’s a bolt action rifle which is legal (i believe) in the sTate. New Hampshire is constitutional carry and I’m almost positive no issues at all with my license. whenever I’m in NH i carry no problem.

Reactions: mike4045
I do not believe you should have an issue if stopped, I shoot the NE prs series and do the same thing for NY or NH when I travel.
Exactly, be smart. Ammo separate, bolt removed, case locked etc. be respectful if pulled over and hope for best

Highly recommend ridgeline, you won’t be disappointed. Taken multiple classes there. I recently took a class there with someone who had been to over 30 sig classes. His words are that ridgeline is in a completely different league.
I’m also from CT so any questions feel free to hit me up

Reactions: Simonsza1
Hey all, just starting to dip my toes into the whole precision rifle thing. Got a pretty sweet build (my thinking at least, 6.5 creedmore action, bartlein Barrel, McMillan stock). Only range I have around me is 100 yards, I’m in CT. Looking into beginner courses at ridgeline shooting or sig, however nothing is posted for late 2023 dates or 2024 dates. Any recommendations in the Northeast area? Also looking for ranges outside of CT that offer more than 100 yards- don’t mind traveling.
The closest place to you is the Ledyard Sportsmen Club. It is in CT and they have a 400-yard range. @Rob01 took me there when I was just starting. Nice place. Rob is a stand-up guy. He taught me a lot in a few hours.

Granby near Springfield, MA (members only) has a 1,000-yard range. They also have some PRS shoots that welcome all skill levels. Nice group of guys. Link is Granby

I also go to Sheepdog Warrior in the Catskills, NY. They have an awesome covered range out to 1,000 yards and you can shoot there on an hourly basis. They also offer training

Ridgeline is a fantastic program. You can't go wrong there by any means. I have taken their intro course.

SIG is nothing I have tried but it is better suited for AR15-type carbine training. They have a 1-day course for rifles that allows you to shoot on their 1,000-yard range. As others stated, it is all about making money. It would be last on my list.

Last edited:
This came up when I searched for Alderbrook. I went there for the first time last year and was impressed with what they had to offer. The 3 hour drive doesn't bother me as much as whats required to join other ranges in southern New England.

I've never taken a course at Ridgeline, but it gets a lot of praise from people that have.

There are rumors of a 1k range in RI.... who knows. I can only think of 2 places that have the land to shoot that far, Addieville and the Preserve .

There is Woodcock rd in Dartmouth Mass that goes out to 500yds . It's a flat range with the ability to put paper targets out to 200yds with fixed steel out to 500yds. its a good place for load development and collecting dope, but thats it.

Last edited:
This came up when I searched for Alderbrook. I went there for the first time last year and was impressed with what they had to offer. The 3 hour drive doesn't bother me as much as whats required to join other ranges in southern New England.

I've never taken a course at Ridgeline, but it gets a lot of praise from people that have.

There are rumors of a 1k range in RI.... who knows. I can only think of 2 places that have the land to shoot that far, Addieville and the Preserve .

There is Woodcock rd in Dartmouth Mass that goes out to 500yds . It's a flat range with the ability to put paper targets out to 200yds with fixed steel out to 500yds. its a good place for load development and collecting dope, but thats it.
The 1K range in RI is supposedly going to be at the South County Rod and Gun Club. Remains to be seen if it comes to fruition. They have a 300-yard range now.

Woodcock has 300 and 500-yard berms, but the range is poorly maintained by the town of New Bedford that owns it. All the steel out there is donated by the members and it is difficult to get out there to do maintenance. The grass gets so tall, it is impossible to see steel at 300 and 500. Shooting prone is only possible to 200 yards. We are working to add stands for hanging paper targets at the 300 and 500 but that won't be done until the spring. It used to be cheap but no longer unless you are local.

Modern day sniper classes at Ben Franklin range this year.

I’m trying to become a member there. About an hour from me and I only have access to 700 yards on private land and 200 at local club.

Looks like a great setup. I’d be interested in the MDS class

Well I know there going there again this year. You should sign up though soon cause I’m sure it will sell out early. Fantastic guys to take a class from.

Stop in and see Ed @ Sheepdog in Catskill. They have beginner classes. Call for the schedule!