• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for opinions for FFP under $1500 for 6.5cm

Alexander Cain

Certifiable
Minuteman
May 14, 2014
South Carolina
  • What is the platform for the scope?
  • Bolt action
  • What cartridge are you shooting?
  • 6.5 creedmoor
  • What is your intended use for the scope?
  • hunting and PRS style shooting
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in?
  • mostly daytime, but a bit of everything
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot?
  • 600m often (working my way up to 1000)
  • Are there any specific specifications you would like?
  • First Focal Plane, MOA or MIL,
  • What is the price range you can afford?
  • <$1500
That should cover the questions.
I am going to finish paying my MPR in 6.5 CM next week and I need a new optic. The intended use is primarily paper and steel but I do hunt with my rifles as well. I'm looking for something light(ish), and matching the above criteria. I am Law Enforcement so I'll be shopping around to see what discounted options I have(some of the below fit this based on discounted prices) Right now I'm looking at:

NF SHV 4-14x50 F1
Sig Tango 4 4-16x44 (maybe Tango 6 depending $)
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50
DMR II 3.5-21x 50

Thanks, I only have experience with Vortex optics and a few lower end Leupolds.

I'm not going to answer all those questions. I only use the variable 20x Weaver tactical because it is a no frills scope with a regular mildot. Never had a single problem and this model has been around unchanged for probably 15 years including the period they were badged as Blackhawk. Or you can follow the pack spend twice as much and complain how you can't understate why you are shooting better than the scope and thank God you have a lifetime warranty and send it back and rave about the great blow job you got along with all your troubles. . Like you can buy a $500 sports coat at Joseph Banks and get a second one free. That is their built in cost for scopes in your price range. It is a cheap ass scope from the start

EDIT: I do have one SWFA mentioned above. Another good scope that hasn't changed in years. It is built like a tank AND has a fancy reticle

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bender
Assuming regular prices, the best overall scope for under $1500 is probably SWFA SS HD 5-20x50. Other than having a zerostop, it is very full featured design that has been around for a while and is exceedingly robust.

If you can wait for a month, they usually have a serious sale in the middle of April.

Vortex PST Gen 2 5-25x50 is also a nice scope and is a bit less expensive. It is more full featured than the SS (zero stop and Christmas tree reticle), but I think the SS is a bit better optically.

XTR II is a bit behind these two optically, but mechanically it seems very well sorted out. Make sure you look at reticles carefully.

ILya

I'm adding the SWFA 5-20x50 and Athlon Cronus to the list now... I am a fan of reticles that have fine center points, so that part is hard to gauge online. Not too concerned how busy a reticle is as long as I can get a fine crisp aiming point. Illumination is also not very important to me as I've got 3 illuminated scopes and I don't think I've used it once in the field. If it's that dark I'm not trying to make a shot.

We've been assisting many of the members here with the Cronus and have gotten excellent feedback. It would be our pleasure to work together with you as well. Please feel free to give us a call, 516-217-1000

20180310_103819.jpg

I like comparing scopes....and probably looked trough mostly on all of'um.
Under 1500 i think razor gen1 got my vote and maybe swfa couple steps below..
Glass not far behind from sb 3-20 IMO..its just what reticle you prefer

Just a thought on the SWFA 5-20x50. The way SWFA is set up is zero middle men, zero fancy boxes, minimum advertising and only sold new through SWFA, They pass all that to the owner in value. This is how SWFA offers such good value.

I own, use, and recommend the Razor HD and the HDMRII. My 6.5 currently sports the HDMRII. Its great in that role and its truly a solid choice and a step up from the previous generation, both in turrets and glass, very exceptional. The Razor is still a step above in the at/below $1500 crowd as far as I'm concerned, so If its an option for you, then it will be a fantastic addition to your rifle.

Reactions: Lionsbreath
I'll second this on the Weaver ----- +1
I'm not going to answer all those questions. I only use the variable 20x Weaver tactical because it is a no frills scope with a regular mildot. Never had a single problem and this model has been around unchanged for probably 15 years including the period they were badged as Blackhawk. Or you can follow the pack spend twice as much and complain how you can't understate why you are shooting better than the scope and thank God you have a lifetime warranty and send it back and rave about the great blow job you got along with all your troubles. . Like you can buy a $500 sports coat at Joseph Banks and get a second one free. That is their built in cost for scopes in your price range. It is a cheap ass scope from the start

EDIT: I do have one SWFA mentioned above. Another good scope that hasn't changed in years. It is built like a tank AND has a fancy reticle

NF SHV 4-14x50 F1
Sig Tango 4 4-16x44 (maybe Tango 6 depending $)
Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50
DMR II 3.5-21x 50
SWFA 5-20x50 HD
Athlon Cronus

Still having trouble deciding, all of the above fall under my 1500 requirement, some only thanks to discounts but they still fit. I'm on vacation in Tennessee right now so I'm gonna hit some local stores to see if I can compare some of the above.

Using weight, reticle and length now to try and narrow a bit.

Reactions: NukeMMC
TRACT TORIC UHD 30MM 4-20X50 FFP MRAD/MRAD or MOA/MOA. $1154 MSRP is worth a look. Fully multicoated SCHOTT glass and a zero stop. I bought a set of their 8x42 binoculars and the glass is amazingly good in low light, but I haven't seen a tracking test on their scopes yet. If you plan on shooting more than 1400 yards, I'd go with the DMR II, as the Tract only has 20 mil total elevation. That's 16 useable mils with a 20 MOA base.

Last edited:
Have you looked at the SWFA SS HD 5-20X50? It fits in your budget. I have one and really like it.
My SWFA scope is excellent I wish I had got the 5-20 HD rather than the 3-15. But I love the 3-15 too, just wish I had a bit more magnification.

I would look hard at the new Athlon Aries ETR. I spoke with Athlon just the other day on this scope and with the changes to the ETR, he said it’s nearly Cronus quality. Downside, won’t be available for a few more months.

I’ve been running the vortex viper PST 6-24x50. They offer it in a FFP and with your service discount, they are super cheap. It’s not the best glass on this list, but it’d fit your requirements and save you a bunch of money.

From your list, I would choose the DMRII. It has everything any other scope mentioned in this thread has. No way would a dump 1500 on a scope that doesn't have zero stop, not with whats available now. If you are wanting to jump into the next tier, the Cronus and Gen II Razor are the next steps up.

Reactions: Tunnuh
With my discount the Cronus and DMR2 are very close in price and well within my range. The Cronus has me rather interested... such a large mag range and people seem to have nothing but good to say and any bad things got fixed quick.

Went to bass pro today and they only had the NF SHV, viper pst gen 2, and a low mag Sig tango 4. I loved the reticle on the SHV but the viper appeared to be on par clarity wise and I preferred the higher magnification. I was content with around 20x. Hopefully Buds will have a better selection to play with tomorrow when we go. I assume no one stocks the Athalon to check out here...

dude why not take advantage of the LE deal from vortex? That Razor gen 1 would be well in your price range

My vote is for the Bushnell LRTSi.

Mine has been superb, with great zero retention, accurate tracking and reliable return to zero. Great feature set with low profile 10 mil/rev turrets, positive zero stop, locking windage turret and glass that’s well above its price point. It would be a mistake to not have the LRTSi on your short list.

John

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
My vote is for the Bushnell LRTSi.

Mine has been superb, with great zero retention, accurate tracking and reliable return to zero. Great feature set with low profile 10 mil/rev turrets, positive zero stop, locking windage turret and glass that’s well above its price point. It would be a mistake to not have the LRTSi on your short list.

John

I'll add it as well, I've got a list of like 9 scopes I need to put my hands on. The Razor HD is pretty high up on my list I just can't seem to put my hands on one to see it. I want to test a few on person to pick one... Going to Buds Gunshop here in TN when I finish lunch.

I don't usually make shameless plugs, but since several people have mentioned how nice the SWFA HD 5-20x50 is I'll mention that I am selling one in the classifieds at way under retail. For a new shooter I'll make you a deal if you PM me.

Reactions: Bender
Bushnell XTR II / LRTS or LRHS
SWFA 5-20x50 HD (?)
Athlon Cronus (?)

After going and looking at a bunch I am surprised how heavy the Razor HD and DMR II are. Nice glass but veryyy heavy. Loved the Razor AMG but $$$.

Decisions decisions

I don't usually make shameless plugs, but since several people have mentioned how nice the SWFA HD 5-20x50 is I'll mention that I am selling one in the classifieds at way under retail. For a new shooter I'll make you a deal if you PM me.
I've been interested in the SWFA as well as Athlon but not being able to see them in person makes it a hard sell.

I've been interested in the SWFA as well as Athlon but not being able to see them in person makes it a hard sell.
I understand. There are excellent scopes out there in your price range. Look around in the classifieds and be patient and you can find $2,000 scopes that are like new selling for $1,500. Decide which one you want and just wait for a nice deal in the classifieds. Spend the rest of your money on ammo.

I've found a good price on a LRTSi 4.5-18x 44mm, and having looked at them today the glass was the best of the price range I was in, zero stop, 30mm so I can use stuff I already have, by all accounts I can find it tracks well. I like the reticle as well and it's much lighter (8+ ounces lighter than some) than others I looked at. Plus there's several other reviews here recommending them as well. I think that's the direction I'm going unless I find an Athlon or SWFA somewhere local to check out before I order.

I have been running the dmr2 for about 800 rounds over the course of 4 range trips. So far I am very impressed coming from some first gen vipers and a leupold mk4 ert but managed a gun store for 6 years and had the opportunity to use and look through a lot of stuff and I would say the dmr2 is real hard to beat as an all around package if you can get it in the sub $1500 range. If not I would save the extra bucks and slide into something else.

Reactions: Mustang42
Buy used. Tango 6 3-18, Athlon Cronus, Steiner 3-15, you can get all of them under $1500 if you look for a used one.

Alex, go to Mordamer's post and click on his screen name. Look for his post for the SWFA SS 5-20X50 and click on it. $950.00 for an excellent optic with over a hunsky worth of accessories you actually need. Keep in mind he offered an improved deal if you PM him. He says in the ad that the scope has some slight defects but I checked the pics and it looks quite good. When your MPR arrives, slap on the scope and head for the range. Oops, check that, you're going to have to get a rail for the MPR unless you already have a Remington compatible rail, BTW the 5-20 has over 100" of vertical adjustment 10mils per turn turrets. At a 1000yds. with a 6.5CM you won't approach a full turn making a zero-stop irrelevant.

Note shipping is included,

If you choose another route please PM me.

Last edited:
Also GA Precision is running a great deal on the 4.5-18 LHRS if you like that scope.

Any idea what kind of reticle you prefer? Standard or tree, center dot/open center/standard cross, mil/moa, .5 or .2 mil sub tensions, etc etc.

That will help narrow things down a bit.

As I have been out of long range shooting for a LONG time (think M21), what is Vortex's military discount?

Well I finally finished my reply to your PM and you already bought the the 5-20. Give us all a range report when you get the MPR.

I have the SWFA HD 5-20. The only thing I'd caution you about after reading this post is that you like fine center reticles. The SWFA is just a tad too thick at 20x for my liking. Just a tad. I do like the simplicity and usefulness of the mil quad reticle though.

Other than that, the SWFA HD is incredibly good build quality and optical performance for the money. I shoot mine at around 16x-18x most of the time since eye relief, depth of field, and optical quality are just off the charts and it thins out the reticle just the perfect amount for me. And there just isn't much difference in magnification between 16x-18x versus 20x.

If you aren't already getting them, the sun shade and aadland parallax gripper are both good additions. You're going to love the scope.

Reactions: Alexander Cain
To post pictures, just click the attack files box and post them off your phone. The new forum uploads are super easy now.

Nice scope choice, if you didn’t know, TimK on here sells zero stop kits for it. SWFA does not warranty the kit for the 5-20, but I’ve heard no actual issues with them.

I have the SWFA HD 5-20. The only thing I'd caution you about after reading this post is that you like fine center reticles. The SWFA is just a tad too thick at 20x for my liking. Just a tad. I do like the simplicity and usefulness of the mil quad reticle though.

Other than that, the SWFA HD is incredibly good build quality and optical performance for the money. I shoot mine at around 16x-18x most of the time since eye relief, depth of field, and optical quality are just off the charts and it thins out the reticle just the perfect amount for me. And there just isn't much difference in magnification between 16x-18x versus 20x.

If you aren't already getting them, the sun shade and aadland parallax gripper are both good additions. You're going to love the scope.

Yeah, the only time I go much over 14-18x is when I'm punching paper at range for groupings. The vast majority of my optics are max of 16x anyway. I figured with any FFP scope with a large magnification range it would have to be thick(er) at full power, so like you said, I'll just drop down a few levels. It *should* be here today per tracking number. The MPR will be here tomorrow... or it was going to be but there is a "possible weather delay" listed on it right now.

Once it all gets here I'll get some pics up and do some accuracy testing. Gotta find cheap 6.5 for the break in locally.

I have a Nightforce shv, the 4 to 14 F1. That is enough to shoot steel out to a thousand. I just got one for my 6.5, but only had a 12 power fixed swfa and shot sub MOA groups.

I think the Burris XTRII - SIG Tango 4 - SHV are all viable options in that price range.

Pick the reticle/features that you think you need the most out of those three an you're golden.

If the Vortex route is really where you want to go there are vendors here that will do the Vortex Mil/LE discount and have product ready to ship.

Reactions: Alexander Cain