• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Looking for PVS-30 clip on (I think)

scudzuki

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 1, 2012
Philadelphia suburbs
Although I'd prefer thermal to NV, I don't think my budget ($6k) is gonna land me a decent thermal clip on.
I want to be able to use one unit on multiple rifles with existing day optics, and if I'm understanding what I've read, the unit needs to be collimated in order to not affect zero of the day optic behind it. I believe PVS-30s (at least some of them) are collimated.
Years back there were rebuilt PVS-30s in the neighborhood of $6k IIRC.
They're probably all gone by now, but it can't hurt to ask if there are any vendors that still sell them.
I appreciate any help Hide Members can provide.
Thanks.

If any hide vendors have them in stock they should be along shortly to help you.

All PVS 30s are collimated so if you can find one that won’t be a problem. The link below is to a vendor that (at least recently) had some in stock. The first batch were in the 5k range and were the older two battery design. The linked one is the newer single battery design and that probably why it’s more expensive. It will run on AA or 123 batteries. I’ve owned both models and other than the battery thing I didn’t notice any difference.

You’ll NEED an illuminator for the darker half of the month so be sure to budget that in.

Here are just a couple of dealer resources on a quick check for around 6K, I’m sure you could check TNVC and many others as well...Check the PX here as well to see if any are for sell.

PVS-30 REFURBISHED:

https://www.nvdevices.com/products/...urbished-an-pvs-30-night-vision-weapon-sight/

READY MADE RESOURCES:

https://readymaderesources.com/prod...ished-tube-green-both-cr123-and-aa-batteries/

Vic had previously posted that TNVC does not deal in used or refurbished equipment.

Thanks for your help so far guys.
Since starting this thread I found the PVS30 on NVD.
I also found a slew of AGM clip on thermals in the $2k to $3k range.
I haven't come across any legit reviews on the AGM thermal clip on family, though.

The reason I decided a PVS-30 was the better option in my price range was its history as a reliable unit.

Going to call TNVC, their website lists a PCS-30 for around $6k.

*edit* ordered a PVS-30 (one of the KAC rebuilt units) from nvdevices.com. $6k.

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Evolution 9
I got my PVS-30 today. I can't find the spec for how closely its optical axis must be aligned to the day scopes optical axis. Most of the photos I see with one mounted on a rifle show there is some misalignment. How far off can it be to not "shift" the day scopes zero?

Thanks.

If the center of your objective is within the center third of the ocular (technically not called that) lense of the PVS 30 you should be good. That was my experience but you probably want to verify that with your setup.

It can be pretty far off...I would still sight in wuth the 30 to see what shift it has

I believe there's something wrong with the QD pic rail mount on my PVS-30.
I have tightened the adjustment screws such that when the lever is swung closed, there's resistance in maybe the last 10 degrees of motion. I feel like it should be adjusted a little tighter, except that if I open the lever completely (180 degrees) the moving side of the mount barely moves and I have to twist the unit off the rail, and reinstalling it, I have to snap it on the rail. Tightening the adjustment screws any more will make it impossible to remove from the rail at all. I've tried everything I can think of to get the clamp (moving side) of the mount to open a little more. I have a call in to nvdevices.com on the issue as well but I figure it can't hurt to ask SH members.

Thanks.

*edit* I tried the PVS on my AIAX and the QD mount works better. With the mount adjusted for the AX rail, it can be lifted straight off when the lever is opened fully, just barely though. I tried it initially on a Seekins manufactured FF rail. I'm pretty surprised the Seekins rail is undersized. Ignore my public lapse of judgment above, please.

Bonus, the PVS co-witnesses pretty well with the daylight scope (Minox ZP5 in a Spuhr SP 4006).

Last edited:
Are you tightening the set screws or the actual adj screwed screws? 20 bucks says your tightening the set screws.....

Do you have the user manual?

Reactions: Lowdown3
Probably wrong screws like Huskydriver said. I did that myself one time.

I was not adjusting the wrong screws.

I tested the PVS with the Luna illuminator last night and I'm underwhelmed with the amount of illumination it provides. There was enough ambient light last night that using the Luna on it's highest setting barely added any illumination. I then read that some people had removed the filter which dramatically increased the output of the illuminator. Anybody else running the Luna without the filter? Seems to me the filter is probably there to only allow IR out so as to mask the location of the shooter.

I was not adjusting the wrong screws.

I tested the PVS with the Luna illuminator last night and I'm underwhelmed with the amount of illumination it provides. There was enough ambient light last night that using the Luna on it's highest setting barely added any illumination. I then read that some people had removed the filter which dramatically increased the output of the illuminator. Anybody else running the Luna without the filter? Seems to me the filter is probably there to only allow IR out so as to mask the location of the shooter.

everyone that knows about the filter removes it. its the eff dee ayy work around for a high power ir laser bud...

Also, I wrote that a Seekins pic rail was undersize. The rail I referenced was not made by Seekins. The rails on the 2 Seekins free float AR-15 handguards I own are spot on. Most of my scope rings are Seekins Precision rings, too. I trust their products 100%.