• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Looking for reccomendations

Boosted2.0

Private
Minuteman
I just got my first .308 and I'm looking for reccomendations on ammo. The gun is a Savage M10 BA and my scope (still on order - should be done in 4 weeks I guess)is a USO SN3 1.8x10x44.

I usually target shoot in the 100 - 400 yard distances. I would like to get above 400 some day, but I will need to get used to my gun, scope and get accurate at the ranges close to my house before I worry about travelling to shoot longer. Obviously my setup will outshoot my current skill level, but I did a bunch of reading on here and decided it would make more sense to buy good stuff now and grow into it rather than to buy cheap stuff, outgrow it and buy more right away.

I don't have any reloading gear or experience, and I would like to find some factory ammo that is very consistent from batch to batch, and hopefully not <span style="font-weight: bold">too</span> horribly expensive.

So if you have the time, please post your experiences / opinions on factory .308 loads and hopefully it will leave me with 1 or 2 top choices.

Thanks!

Re: Looking for reccomendations

I've been impressed with Hornady's factory match loads in .308,.223,and 6.5 creedmoor.

Federal gold medal is good stuff,but usally a little more expensive.

A lot of people like Black hills match stuff too.

Same here,and I can usually find it a little cheaper than the others too.

43.5 grains of Varget behing a 175gr SMK seated to 2.81 oal, at least my Savage really likes that recipe. Start reloading, you'll get more consistent loads for less money.

Hello there fellow Texan! Im basically in same area you are, but in a suburb of Houston.

I have a Rem 700 chambered for the .308, and what I have found is everyone's rifle is differetn, and we can all tell you what works good for our rifle, but fact is, you are gonna have to do your own shooting to find out what works best for you and your rifle. We can offer suggestions, as everyone is doing (and I will to here in a sec), but in the end have to get out and shoot.

So, taht being said, for the money, it is really hard to argue with teh results most get with Hornady (including myself)

My rifle just flat out LOVES the 168 BTHP from Hornady. BUt to be honest, there really hasnt been much it hasnt liked, and I have tried alot of different ammo (I dont reload)

Ive tried Remington Core Lokt, Federal SP, Black Hills, Winchester PP, the Amax and SST from Hornady.

Ive shot everything from 150 grain, up to 180 grain..
If I was to put money on a shot, would be with teh 168 BTHP from Hornady.
Hunting, probaly use the Rem Core Lokt, or Winchester PP

If my rifle really hasnt agreeed well with ammo, would say Federal. But, in all fairness, Ive just tried teh SP from Federal.

And since my rifle shoots so well with teh Hornady and Rem, I dont buy anything else these day. Just those two, but if I just cant find anything and I need ammo, would go Winchester next..alwaya can find that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">43.5 grains of Varget behing a 175gr SMK seated to 2.81 oal, at least my Savage really likes that recipe. Start reloading, you'll get more consistent loads for less money. </div></div>

I would love to, but I just don't have the time. I have a day job, a side business and 3 kids. I'm luck I get time to go shooting, no time left for reloading.
frown.gif

Thanks for all the feedback. I've heard good word of mouth on the Hornady 168 as well - I suspect I'll try that first for a while and then try the Federal.

Thanks for all the suggestions - please feel free to keep them coming!

silver state armory makes a 175 otm that will out shoot fgmm you might really like it