• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for recommendations, 24", or 26"

Deadshot2

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
The Convergence Zone
Have a couple of months yet before my rifle will have it's new barrel installed.

It's a .308 and so far I have selected a 1:11 twist rate but am going back and forth on the barrel length. I keep going back and forth between 24" or 26".

I want to make this the "ultimate" rifle for accuracy and plan on shooting 168-175 gr bullets (Max).

"Portability" is not an issue for this rifle so I am not worried about a couple inches more barrel. I do realize that there might be trade-offs between the longer and shorter barrel. Some consider the shorter barrel to be more rigid and easier to tune. Others claim that the longer barrel will yield greater velocities although more sensitive to harmonics.

Any out there that have both lengths in similar rifles? That can give me an idea of whether the 26" is better at ".308 ranges" or if the 24" performs better.

I wonder if anyone has used "Odd length barrels". Seems like rifles come in "even numbered lengths" for the most part. Why not a 23", 25", or 27"???

Since I have time to decide I welcome all comments and information.

Of course I could just go with the 26" and then cut off 2" if I didn't like it (I can crown the barrel myself) :) :)

Buy the 26". That way you can mull it over and if you decide on 24" then just have it cut. Can't add barrel length so vice versa you'd be SOL.

Accuracy and barrel length aren't inversely proportionate (i.e. - a longer, 26" barrel does not equate to, in any way, shape or form, a MORE accurate barrel than a 16" barrel for example).

If you want to gain some additional muzzle velocity, then by all means, a longer barrel will get you that with some diminishing returns (I wouldn't go any LONGER with a .308 gas gun barrel than 26"). All that additional MV will get you is some extended range and modest terminal ballistics improvements at those ranges as compared to a lower velocity from a shorter barrel, but whether or not you need that all depends on your goals with the rifle. As I previously said...barrel length does not equate to more accuracy, but can get you more range. Let your goals/intended uses for the rifle in terms of the MAX distances you plan on shooting with it dictate YOUR optimum barrel length.

Frankly, I have taken 20" gassers out to 1,000 without issue, including with the 175gr pills you mentioned. The same can be done with shorter barrels than 20" as well (I've witnessed an 18" GAP-10 in .308 ring steel at 1k to the degree of boring levels of precision). ;)