• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Looking for recommendations on ar scope.

Justindfish

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
I have a 223/5.56mm AR with a 20" barrel. Looking for a scope for it to use out to 500 yards max, mostly 50-200 yards. Range/field use with or without turrets either will work. Want atleast a 20' FOV on the low end and 14+ power on the high end with AO preferably on side. Reticle and focal plane I'm open to whatever. $300-650 budget.

Really wanting something that I can trust, I'm coming from a 4-16 Vortex DB HP and I have had problems with it. Would like to not get a made in China, Philippines or other Asian made scope except for Japan If possible, but with a $300-650 range I know that I may have to compromise.

Tract optics has an NRA convention special ending soon, 25% off of selected scopes. Their higher end scopes use Schott high transmission glass, some low ED glass, fully multi-coated, made in Japan, they seem fairly well reviewed and their direct sales model seems to make them price competitive.

Promo code NRA18

3-12x42 TEKOA HD: $430

2.5-10x42 RESPONSE: $280

You might want to check those out tonight and see if they sound right for you.

Reactions: Justindfish
I have a 223/5.56mm AR with a 20" barrel. Looking for a scope for it to use out to 500 yards max, mostly 50-200 yards. Range/field use with or without turrets either will work. Want atleast a 20' FOV on the low end and 14+ power on the high end with AO preferably on side. Reticle and focal plane I'm open to whatever. $300-650 budget.

Really wanting something that I can trust, I'm coming from a 4-16 Vortex DB HP and I have had problems with it. Would like to not get a made in China, Philippines or other Asian made scope except for Japan If possible, but with a $300-650 range I know that I may have to compromise.

If you are looking for FFP, your best bet is SWFA SS 3-15x42FFP which is right aroung $700, so it is not far off your price range:
https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope-3.html

If you are looking for SFP, the SFP version of the same SS scope is on closeout right now for $450, which is raging bargain:
https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tactical-rifle-scope.html

That having been said, if you like SFP scopes and can live with the G4 BDC reticle (which should work fine within your range), there is a sale on it now, so you can pick it up for $650:
https://swfa.com/vortex-3-15x42-razor-hd-lh-rifle-scope-3.html

The HSR-4 reticle version is $900.

All of these are made in Japan.

ILya

Reactions: Stickshift
I really think you’re going to have to up your budget to get much more variety. In your price range, the Philippines are likely going to be a step up from most of what you’re going to see.
Not trying to be a jerk, just being honest.

I know it's not what you said, not 14x but I disagree, say:

RDS plus magnifier. You can get a good RDS for $300 (I like the TruDot RDS, but a PRO or anything good), and then get a mid-range magnifier. The Vortex even comes with a decent flip mount. That'll be under $600 if you shop carefully.

To 300 you don't need to hold over especially, aim and fire. Have hit stuff reliably to 600 with this setup (which I have on several guns) and is much, much faster for me than any magnified scope from 0-200 or so.

Steiner P4Xi, all German glass, under $600, buy only 4x. Next, I might try a Primary Arms. Otherwise, i am sure Ilya has some good suggestions on SWFA. I don't follow those.

It will be on the high end of your budget but worth it. One of the best bang for your buck scopes is the Weaver tactical 3-15 with EMDR reticle. FFP, side parallax dial, exposed turrets but lockable, illumination if you need it, and Japan glass. You can find them used for $600.

Last edited: