• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Looking for scope recommendations

JohnyFive3

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2013
Wichita Kansas
I’m in the process of picking out some glass for a new build. It’s a semi auto 6.5 creedmoor. I plan to mostly shoot steel and paper with it but I’m sure I’ll also bring it along for a few hunts. Most of my shooting would be in the 100-500 yard range but I intend to try and hit a few of the spear point ranch matches this next year if time permits it. Budget would be in the $600-$1200 maybe $1500 if the jump really warranted it. Prefer ffp. And maybe a recommendation on ring or a mount.... thanks

Tons of options in that price range, and tons of threads on which of those options are best.

My opinion:

Best combination of great glass and great reliability in this price range - SWFA HD 5-20

Also great values: PST2, XTR2, Cronus, LRHS

Reactions: CarlK
I found the Steiner Tx5i 5-25 x 56 for under $1500. It originally had an MSRP at $2600. I like it, though I haven't explored it's limits yet, and can't give you a comprehensive report on it's shortcomings and strengths. It might be worth some consideration though.

For those ranges on a gas gun I’d look hard at something in the 3-15 or 5-20 range.

Lots of T5xi 3-15 out there, $1100 or less in the PX. 5-20 Gen I Razor is an option at the same price. Step up in cost would be the MK5 HD if you don’t need illum, that would be my choice. The 5-20 SWFA is pretty limited by the reticle IMO.

Reactions: Wyzrd and Schralp
For those ranges on a gas gun I’d look hard at something in the 3-15 or 5-20 range.

Lots of T5xi 3-15 out there, $1100 or less in the PX. 5-20 Gen I Razor is an option at the same price. Step up in cost would be the MK5 HD if you don’t need illum, that would be my choice. The 5-20 SWFA is pretty limited by the reticle IMO.
I always forget about the gen 1 razor. Another great option.

I'm not a big fan of the T5xi. Had one and sold it - not at the same level as the SWFA or Cronus IMHO.

Bushnell HDMR2 or DMR2 gets my vote. It’s within your price range and the warranty is top notch. I have 02 NF Atac and can’t see why they cost $1,000 more.

Bushnell HDMR2 or DMR2 gets my vote. It’s within your price range and the warranty is top notch. I have 02 NF Atac and can’t see why they cost $1,000 more.
How do those compare to the ERS or LRHS? I've looked through both of those. The LRHS doesn't really come close to keeping up with my SWFA HD, and the ERS is roughly on par with the SWFA, but costs much more. I'd be interested to know your thoughts on how the DMR2 or HDMR2 compare, because I've checked out some ATACRs and really, really liked them a lot. Best overall scope package in the $2500 range IMHO.

I have a Bushnell LRTS 4.5-18 on a ar10 6.5creed...it maybe at the high-end of your price range. Vortex PST Gen 2 would be another good choice in your price range.

Haven't had the opportunity to look through a LRHS or ERS. Have never had any success with and SWFA scopes, and they are right down the road form me. Glass is very subjective. There are objective ways to measure glass quality, but they leave a lot to be desired. So here is my take. I have 2 NF Atacr scopes. Per my application of local matches, training, and hunting in Texas, I see no benefit in the Atacr over the HDMR2. There is a $1,000 price difference between them and I can't figure out why. Trust me when I say this surprises no one more than me. Who would have though Bushnell would be able to make a quality scope. Not me. I still like my NF scopes, no plans on getting rid of them. But I defiantly won't be buying anymore. No, I'm not a brand snob either. I have Leupold, NF, Vortex, and Bushnell. Matter of fact I just bought a NF SHV F1 last week. I have a Vortex PST Gen 2 on my 22lr, good glass, just doesn't feel as refined as the HDMR2. But I would caution you agains the first generation HDMR or DMR. The 2nd generation are miles ahead in function over the gen 1. Hope this helps.

Reactions: patriot07
I know there’s a lot of variation between scopes that can be observed, but there are two things to be aware of with the DMR/HDMR II.

1). There’s tunneling under 4.5x and it’s significant. Not a huge deal for a bolt gun, but can be for a gas gun depending how you use it.

2). My sample had a noticeable bluish tinge across the entire field of field, something to do with how the coatings handle light. I’ve heard similar things from other people, so maybe old308 got a good one. It was pretty obvious shooting it next to my M5Xi. The DMR Pro solved this according to the reviews, but not the tunneling issue (which drives me nuts).

Good scopes, but not perfect. That’s hard to find in this price range though.

Interesting observation Dirty8408. My experiance has held Consistent with the 2 HDMR2s and one DMR2 I now own. Noticed not the issues you have described here and in other places with your sample size of 1. I’m not a Bushnell fan boy, just sharing my experience. Can’t say as I’ve ever seen a perfect scope at any price point. Especially for my application. I’ll keep an eye out for this blue tint your seeing. Can’t say I’ve ever run the scope down to 3.5 to shoot so I’ll check this evening for tunneling. My inspection method is a scope jig for turret tracking and then just plain old shooting. Agree it’s not a perfect scope. And there is no perfect scope. So in a field of flawed products, for me, for now, this one works.

Of course ten years ago it was the relative new kid NF that did it for me.
Before that it was the Mark 4 Leupold with the futuristic TMR.
And before that is was any shine thing connected to the loud thing.
Wonder what we will be talking about in the next ten years.

It could be your eyes just don’t see it, a quick google search will bring up several ‘hide threads, glass complaints were the main driver behind the glass change in the DMR Pro.

My sample size of 1 has a lot of documentation.

OP, do you have a reticle preference? Standard mil hash, Christmas tree or Horus style? I will tell you for AR platforms I tend to prefer shorter scopes.

Reactions: Dirty8404
Take a look at the 30mm Tract Toric HD. It is built in the lOW factory in Japan and it a whole lot of optic for the money. You can get them on sale for right around $1000 which is a steal for an optic of its quality.
https://www.tractoptics.com/products/riflescopes/toric-uhd-30mm-4-20x50-ffp-mrad
I agree and think the Toric is a lot of scope for the money. If you don't mind its somewhat plain reticle you'd be hard pressed to find anything better optically at its price, here is a Toric sitting on a 14.5" AR-15 to give you an idea of its short size.

1k_Scope_Review_014.jpg

Reactions: Anderson_A
Picked up a used xtr 2 5-25 scr moa with a Larue Mount... was thinking I might change mounts to one with some built in moa but is it necessary?