• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for some caliber ideas.

2ndlegend

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2020
Hey guys,
I am looking for some suggestions on a new caliber for a rifle I am going to put together. I currently have a KRG stock (Remington LA), which I absolutely love and am planning on using for the project. I also have an older Remington 700 barreled action in 30-06, which I really would like to use. The action is my favorite out of any I have owned, because it is so smooth and crisp.
My goal is to use the rifle as a big game rifle (Elk, Moose, Bear, ie basically anything in North America under 500 yards), but also be able to stretch it's legs out to 1200-1600 yds for fun.
Currently, I have to choice to try to use my action to meet these needs, or invest in a Remington long action with a magnum bolt face and guarantee it. I was wondering what you all had for caliber suggestions for a long action with a standard bolt face, or if I just need to be told to suck it up and buy a magnum action.

Reactions: 338dude
You can find bolts on the px pretty reasonably priced.

Reactions: 2ndlegend
I have heard a lot of people like the 280 ai, and since I am a huge fan of the 7 Rem mag it seems like a good option. I think from what I've read the 6.5-06 doesn't have much gain over the 6.5x284 and is a little harder to find the stuff to reload.

280 AI. I just finished one for a guy, and it rocks. Surprised how fast it is, and how easy it was to load for. Peterson makes brass for it now too.

It's nice to hear from guys like you actually shooting the cartridge, and whether you like it or not.

I have burned down 13 6.5x284s and have a 284Win built off Lapua necked up. If I was in you’re shoes I’d go 280AI. No issue with rebate rim, no fat ass backend to feed. Factory brass. A little easier on barrels than a 6.5mm.

Reactions: BallisticPrimate
280 ai is great, if you don't want to buy a new barrel look at 30 sherman (30-06 improved)

For the distance you state above 280AI. Those 7mm shine at long distance. I run a 284 for fclass but would want a bit faster for 12-1600 yards

Reactions: myers129
Any reason why you don't want to stick with the 30-06? Lapua makes brass for it and there's a ton of bullet choices that will do exactly what you want.

According to the internet, a 6.5 Creedmor will down a moose at 1,500 yards, so... might as well make a long action short action.

• Haha
Reactions: Trippm and 338dude
I have heard a lot of people like the 280 ai, and since I am a huge fan of the 7 Rem mag it seems like a good option. I think from what I've read the 6.5-06 doesn't have much gain over the 6.5x284 and is a little harder to find the stuff to reload.
I'm a 7RemMag shooter myself. 168 Berger hunter Hybrids are supersonic to 1500 and jit like a freight train out to 500-600 for hunting.

But, if you don't want to switch bolts, 280AI is a way to go.

If you wanna switch a bolt to a magnum face, 7 SAUM is another choice that does very well in your applications as well.

For a varmint (non-rapid fire) / medium game hunting cartridge, a 6mm-06 or 240 Wby would be awesome. You'll need a fast twist 7.5 - 7.75" twist bbl. The 240 Wby mag has a normalish freebore, so it will work fine with the heavier bullets. The 6mm-06 can be made from standard redding type s 25-06 dies (need appropriate bushings, decapping rod assembly/expander, and vld seating stem).

Reactions: Joebill
Any reason why you don't want to stick with the 30-06? Lapua makes brass for it and there's a ton of bullet choices that will do exactly what you want.

I actually really like my 30-06, it has served me well. However, I am looking for something with a little more power behind it, specifically in terms of velocity. Truth is they all kill about the same, but it doesn't stop me from always wanting a little more.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm going to take a hard look at the 280 AI. I was looking at the 7 SAUM and 270 WSM for awhile, but it looks like the 280 AI will get me pretty close to either of those.

I have been taking elk since 1994 with my various 6.5's & mono bullets. . Never have let down. One of my 6.5's is the 6.5x06. Tons of brass around. All I use is once fired 25x06 or 30x06. One pass thru a 6.5x06 FL sizer , load & shoot. No neck trimming. Same ballistics as the 6.5 PRC but easier , more economical brass. .

Why not keep it a 30-06? Call me old school but I like that cartridge. With today's modern bullets and powders, you can really make it perform to meet all your needs and then some...

**Edited for spell check**

Last edited:
Reactions: OG10
This future release makes the 284 Win even more attractive for you.
4446DA88-BD8D-4771-9D21-DB344E954829.jpeg

Reactions: XLR308
I purposely built my 308 in a long action like the m24, (no feeding issues at all with accurate mags) and I'm also interested in re barreling. How is recoil in the 284win or 6.5-06? I'd like to be able to spot my shots in matches. Thanks

Hey guys,
I am looking for some suggestions on a new caliber for a rifle I am going to put together. I currently have a KRG stock (Remington LA), which I absolutely love and am planning on using for the project. I also have an older Remington 700 barreled action in 30-06, which I really would like to use. The action is my favorite out of any I have owned, because it is so smooth and crisp.
My goal is to use the rifle as a big game rifle (Elk, Moose, Bear, ie basically anything in North America under 500 yards), but also be able to stretch it's legs out to 1200-1600 yds for fun.
Currently, I have to choice to try to use my action to meet these needs, or invest in a Remington long action with a magnum bolt face and guarantee it. I was wondering what you all had for caliber suggestions for a long action with a standard bolt face, or if I just need to be told to suck it up and buy a magnum action.
6.5x284 norma

Id also consider taking your 30-06 and trying some PVA cayugas. Ive been playing with them in my 7mm mag and if the lore is true itll make your 06' shine! but I also get that new calibers are always more appealing...

Just finished load development with 185 Berger Hybrids in my M70 Target, 30-06. Running them at 2860 fps keeps them supersonic out to about 1400.

I have access to a 2000 yard range and plan to see how far I can stretch the ol' 06.

I purposely built my 308 in a long action like the m24, (no feeding issues at all with accurate mags) and I'm also interested in re barreling. How is recoil in the 284win or 6.5-06? I'd like to be able to spot my shots in matches. Thanks

Depending on bullet weight the 6.5x06 can be mild, like up to 120gr. . With bullets in the 130 to 140 weight , similar to a 270 , but flatter shooting.

+1 for the 280AI

Regardless of whether you handload or shoot factory ammo, you shouldn’t have too much trouble maintaining 1500 ftlbs of energy out to 500 meters or keeping your projectiles supersonic out to 1400 meters.

Honorable mention to the 6.5-284 and 6.5-06.

Good luck with your decision.

Look at the Sherman cartridges. Interesting option. I like my 7 Sherman Short Mag

+1 for the 280AI

Regardless of whether you handload or shoot factory ammo, you shouldn’t have too much trouble maintaining 1500 ftlbs of energy out to 500 meters or keeping your projectiles supersonic out to 1400 meters.

Honorable mention to the 6.5-284 and 6.5-06.

Good luck with your decision.

Both the 6.5x284 and the 280 AI were on my radar. I kinda wanted to see which people would suggest, or see if I was missing a cartridge I should have been looking at. I actually did some quick math on the 280 AI and if I could push a 150 ELD-X at 3050 fps with the cartridge (which seemed reasonable with a longer barrel) the bullet wouldn't go subsonic until almost 1800 yards. I kinda found that shocking. That being said I am shooting at elevations greater than 4500 feet, which makes a big difference. Still that's pretty good for a non-magnum cartridge.

I’m shooting 300WM right now using 208 Hornady‘S. I am thinking when the throat goes away I am gonna go to a 7mm-300wm. I also have a nice shooting Rem 700 that I really like.

Last edited:
Both the 6.5x284 and the 280 AI were on my radar. I kinda wanted to see which people would suggest, or see if I was missing a cartridge I should have been looking at. I actually did some quick math on the 280 AI and if I could push a 150 ELD-X at 3050 fps with the cartridge (which seemed reasonable with a longer barrel) the bullet wouldn't go subsonic until almost 1800 yards. I kinda found that shocking. That being said I am shooting at elevations greater than 4500 feet, which makes a big difference. Still that's pretty good for a non-magnum cartridge.
280AI and 7 saum are very close in case capacity and I was able to easily get 168’s to 3000 with a 28” barrel 7 saum and that was with H4831, with R26 or N565 3100 is probably doable.

At my common 3000 DA 190’s are super sonic a bit past 2000.

Another vote for the 280AI. Refered a friend of mine to my smith after his brand new 700 sendero in 270 wouldn't shoot a group under 6". They talked it over and ended up doing a 280AI with a krieger 5R finished around 24", it's 26" with the brake.

I do all his loading for him and I've really taken a liking to the cartridge. He hunts all over south Texas with it and it does well.

Shooting 160gr Accubonds it'll get to 2900 at sea level pretty comfortably. He mainly shoots the 140's as most of his shots are inside 200 yards. Got a 120gr load with nosler ballistic tips at 3300 fps! All I've used for powder so far has been H4831.

I would look at the 7mm SAW from west texas ordinance. Short action caliber. shoots 168g bullets at a good speed and has awesome factory brass available from Alpha. (no fireforming)

Hey guys,

If you want to hunt any North American big game and get way out there with it you might take a look at 300 win mag. Lots of energy still downrange to get the job done on any game. All the guys I used to shoot with were using 7mm mags. They used to rag my old 300 but they never managed to shame it on the range . That was around the turn of the century , I have dope going out to 1250 from back then no telling with all this new stuff. The only real big difference that I actually saw on the range between the 300 win mag. and the 7mm mag. was ( in the immortal words of my shooting partner Dewayne Curry) the 300s bullet trace " looked like a football going downrange ". Much easier to spot than the 7mm, guessing it was the larger cross section. Whatever you go with I look forward to hearing the results.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
So many great choices and recommendations, I started hunting whitetail deer w/ a .257 Roberts and migrated to a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser circa 1990 for distance. You'd have to be very unlucky to make a bad choice, however it's hard to beat a 6.5 in whatever flavor. Advantages: long range accuracy, less recoil than many other great calipers, lots of available brass, bullets and or factory ammo.

I turned my old Savage 110E .270 into a 6.5-06 and it has been an awesome cartridge. Killed my first deer with it opening day just inside 200yds. I am able to push bergers new 156gr EOL bullet at 2815fps with RL23. Shoots a 3/8MOA group at 200 with those bullets.

It can be a lot of fun to turn an old rifle with some memories into something you'll continue to use and shoot. Best part is people are just giving .270 brass away to make plinking rounds out of. If you decide to go that route, get the dies and some brass before the barrel/reamer and have them adjust the neck so you don't have to trim 1/8" off of 270 brass like I did.

Reactions: stello1001
A 6.5-284 with 156gr Berger EOL's going 2900 - 3000fps is right with a 7Rem mag and 162gr class of bullet. The 6.5 actually beats it in the wind and requires less powder and recoil to do so. The energy difference is negligible.

I had the 280 Rem on loan (from my Brother) and liked it a lot. I'd be wide open to the 280AI, especially since it can shoot factory 280 (and end up with fireformed 280 AI brass). For larger game and extended distances (not necessarily both at the same time, I haven't the personal horsepower to recover game at extended distances), it's about all the rifle I can handle, and still have significant confidence about shooting.

Greg

PS I would add (repeat) that I'm not normally a fan of AI chamberings. IMHO, they are hot rods, intended to up the ante. The usually get loaded hot so they can deliver that added expectation; and they become the enemy of bore longevity.

So why do I like the 280AI? well, it's built on a chamberig that's not really overbore to begin with and the increase in capacity maybe still doesn't cross that threshold.

Last edited: