• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for some help with a tripod

houndog

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2005
Talking to a couple of long range guys at my local gun club. I've done some long range shooting, but honestly have been pretty half-assed about it. Local club goes out to 600, but I'm surrounded by BLM land and am discovering that there are a couple of places you can go out to 1000 and beyond. Would love to try some longer distances, maybe even do some kind of match and start trying to get a little more serious.

The problem, as I've explained to them, my lower back is kind of f*cked. Very tough to get comfortable and stable shooting prone. And in the back country not going to be a lot of shooting benches. Their solution, get a decent tripod and learn how to use it. Probably not a bad idea in any event.

But I know zero about them. One of the guys had a very nice tripod - carbon fiber and seemed pretty light and very stable. Also, large enough to use while shooting standing. No idea what make, and I suspect pretty pricey.

So looking for some suggestions. Ideally big enough to use standing, although I think I will do most of my shooting sitting (have been shooting AR's from the standard cross legged sitting position for years and am actually pretty good at it.) Can't be super heavy since I may be humping it some distance, not just taking it out of the back of my car and carrying it to the firing line. Obviously, a certain amount of stability would be nice. And really don't want to have to take out a second mortgage to pay for one, although I understand that a solid/light/reliable bipod won't be cheap.

RRS tvc 22i with Anvil 30 and don't look back. Fastest to setup, inverted legs to keep dirt and crud out of legs, stable as hell.

I shot with crappy tripods for years before biting the bullet and kick myself in the ass for not doing it sooner. One of the best pieces of shooting gear you can buy.

The 2 vets version twists from the bottom, which is no bueno when the leg section is already 40" long.

I think rrs gave up on the civilian market ….anyone have a time frame on when you could buy a rrs tripod?

@RMOReallyRightStuff
Inaccurate statement. I called them up and within 5 mins i had 3 stocking dealers lined up.

First time dealing with thermal optics too and they are top notch. Same day shipping too on my last two orders.

Try to buy a barrel from bartlein direct, i bet they gave up in the civilian market too

@Sniperwannabee
Saying we gave up on the civilian market is extremely incorrect.

We have stopped accepting backorders for the time being because our lead times we’re getting unreliable and we don’t want to be another company who just accepts orders and leaves customers hanging. We are fulfilling all our backorders currently, civilian and military. We are forecasting/scheduling more anvils and tripods than ever for our future orders. When we open back up they will be in stock or at your door within a few weeks.

As said above we have a bunch of dealers that are getting their preorders fulfilled from this summer currently along with all the civilian orders depending on the version, in a first in - first out order system to be fair.

If there is something you need that is out of stock on our website, easiest thing to do is just shoot a text to me at 931-952-3621 letting me know what you want, welcome to send a link from my website as well. Usually when we get in things like Anvils or TFCT tripods I shoot out a text to anyone I have in line letting them know that product is in stock with a link to the product. I usually give everyone Ive sent a message to a day or more to get their order in and then post on social media we have them in stock and harder to get items usually sell out within a few hours after that. We may switch this over to an email system where the website notifies you eventually, but I have been doing this forever with hard to get thermal optics and its quick and easy for me and has been for the customers as well. We carry RRS, Two Vets, etc.

MPHReallyrightstuff and Thermal Optics - Thank you for your posts. Still trying to wrap my head around the costs, but I understand that you get what you pay for and no one ever said anything associated with long range shooting was cheap.;) It's really great to have mfg's. and vendors actually willing to participate in these forums to help out potential customers - particularly someone who is new to tripods and trying to figure out what I need and what's going to be compatible.

If there is something you need that is out of stock on our website, easiest thing to do is just shoot a text to me at 931-952-3621 letting me know what you want, welcome to send a link from my website as well. Usually when we get in things like Anvils or TFCT tripods I shoot out a text to anyone I have in line letting them know that product is in stock with a link to the product. I usually give everyone Ive sent a message to a day or more to get their order in and then post on social media we have them in stock and harder to get items usually sell out within a few hours after that. We may switch this over to an email system where the website notifies you eventually, but I have been doing this forever with hard to get thermal optics and its quick and easy for me and has been for the customers as well. We carry RRS, Two Vets, etc.
That's a great service, better than backorders. I've signed up for an Anvil 34L.