• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for some help.

Winged Pig

Punch Echo, Punch Mike
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2011
Maryland
Hello. I'm looking for some help with my loads. Being relatively new to reloading I am still trying to finalize a few things and make sure that I am safe.

First a little background;

I am shooting a TRG-22, purchased new, and have been very happy with it.

I ran an OCW test and settled on a load (.308) of 44.8 grains of Varget pushing a 175 SMK. I went up to 45 grains and saw no pressure signs on any of the rounds that I used. I used CCI 200 primers and Lapua, Norma and Federal brass. I did one complete OCW test with each brand of case to make sure that they all worked, and saw no difference between them. The Federal brass was from previously fired FGMM commercial rounds. I did not have access to a chrono.

I have been using these loads and had not noticed any issues with them until this past weekend where I shot a 600 yard club match. This was only my second time actually shooting a match and the Temperature was 40 degrees, the winds were 24-30 with gusts around 40. I shot a 565-13 and considering the conditions I was happy with my score. The vertical dispersion was better than I expected so my only issues were reading the wind.

I did not notice any issues with any of the rounds (all were Federal cases on their third loading) until I was almost finished with the third string. With about five rounds to go I noticed that the bolt for one round seemed to lift a little different than it had up to that point. Not really sticking, but I did notice a difference. It did not happen again with the remaining rounds. When I got home I checked the rounds and noticed that on 10 of the 66 there were light marks on the head stamp from the ejector, and on a few I could see a mark from the extractor. None of the primers were cratered and in fact they all looked normal to me. The marks on the head stamps seemed to be shiny and not indented, but they were visible.

My reloading procedure has been the same for all of the rounds I have loaded. I de-prime each case then tumble clean them. (I have since obtained an ultra sonic cleaner but have not reloaded any of the rounds that I have cleaned in it) I then full length size them. I set up the sizing die by having it against the ram, then turning it one full turn up and backing it down until the cases seat in the chamber. I then locked it down and have not touched it since. I then re-clean them to get the lube off and trim them to a length of 2.005. I then de-burr and chamfer the cases and then they are then primed. I then throw the powder into the tray and put it into the scale where I trickle powder into it to bring it up to 44.8 grains. I then seat a bullet. I have been seating the bullets well short of the lands, so I don't think that is a problem. I measure everything and while I don't have that exact information with me right now I think I was jumping them about .006 inch. (while I'm sure that I can improve on it, at least for now I did not have an issue with the accuracy) I have done this for each and every round that I have loaded. I have also noticed that the Federal cases are MUCH harder to size then any of the other cases.

My question is could this be a problem with the cases as opposed to my procedures or the charge I'm using? I have about 250 rounds loaded up now (mostly Lapua and Norma) and I'm wondering if I need to break them down or if I should go ahead and shoot them. Up until this past weekend I have not noticed any issues at all with any of my rounds, and I have been very pleased with their accuracy.

There were no other marks on any of the other Federal rounds that I shot that day, nor have I seen any marks on any of the previous rounds that I had loaded.

Sorry for the long post, but any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Looking for some help.

I'm pretty new to this myself but will offer my opinion and hope it helps some.

Pick one brand of brass and stick with it. Same applies to all components, brass, primer, powder, etc. If you change any one component the load may change. Traditionally Federal brass has less capacity. The only good way to really know is to test case capacity with water. Weigh emtpy, fired case. Fill case completely with water and check weight again and difference is case capcity. I would guess that there's probably enough difference in capacity across these three types of cases that you're getting different presure levels.

Federal brass is also normally softer so it may expand more (or spring back less) thus it's a little larger than the others and takes a little more effort in the sizing die.

As to seating depth, I would not try to be so close to lands. Minor seating depth change bullet to bullet might end up with one touching and one not. I normally try to stay at least .015 off or in the lands.

Hope that helps some, good luck with it!

As Crewchef mentioned I would not go so close to the lands or you will get fliers and pressure spikes.

Pick one type of brass. Lapua if you can afford it.
OCW is about about consistency so all cases will read similar.
Group testing will show off quality components and further fine tuning.

Thanks for the advise. I went back and checked my data and noticed that I was wrong in my posting about the seating depth. With a Hornady gauge the C.O.A.L. for the rifle was 2.896 and I am seating the bullets to 2.801, so I am really .095 off the lands. Sorry for the wrong numbers, I guess that's what I get for trying to post my data from memory.

I understand all that you are both saying, but what I can't get my head around is why I only had these indications on 10 out of 66 rounds that were all the same. All loaded identically, all Federal brass with the same amount of firings. Additionally, none of these rounds had previously shown any pressure signs.

Any thoughts on the remaining rounds? They are loaded the same only half with Lapua brass and half with Norma. Also I have not seen any previous pressure signs with either of those cases.

Thanks again for the help.

Winged Pig,

When I started reloading I followed the Directions on how to set up my Forster Fl die. I did as you. I screwed the die down at the apex of the press then backed it out a full turn. I had a few rounds that were sticky bolt and some that would not even chamber. It was not until I purchased a Hornady headspace gauge and determined my die was not sizing properly. I then used fireformed brass to set my die to bump back the shoulders .002 subsequently my problems vanished. You may want to be sure your brass is being sized properly.

Hope this helps.