• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing Looking for a gunsmith to machine a barrel

TheWatchMker

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2022
Delaware
Hi guys,

I have a small frame 308 gun right now.

I’m looking for a gunsmith to make two match barrels.
Contoured, fluted and custom extensions installed and headspace’s.

It requires a custom extension which I have 2 made and otherwise it’s ar-15 barrel.

So .810x16 tpi extension threading.
Same exact profile and in two calibers
6.5 creedmoor and .308.

I can buy barrel blanks, provide bolt, custom extensions and payment.

I can also provide a can model to contour off and flute off of if you would like.

Ideally I would like someone who can quickly turn it around as I have matches coming up.

If you’re interested, please message me. Or if you know someone please let me know.

I’ve called quite a few manufactures and they all suggested a smith, so I’m following up here to find someone.

I’ve used LRI for several things and they’ve always had decent turn around time. They are very good at keeping you updated where your order is at as well

Reactions: TheWatchMker
Fritz has done all of my barrels for years and I trust him implicitly. However, getting gunsmithing done in a hurry is not where you want to be. Most good gunsmiths have huge backlogs because there's lots of us that have "matches coming up".

Reactions: TheWatchMker
Fritz has done all of my barrels for years and I trust him implicitly. However, getting gunsmithing done in a hurry is not where you want to be. Most good gunsmiths have huge backlogs because there's lots of us that have "matches coming up".
Definitely not an ideal place to be but I’ve got two matches coming up that are weekenders and I’ve spent quite a bit on. Problem is I don’t have a rifle ready and my state now made em illegal so I can’t just go buy one. Whole hassle.

I sent in to have this barrel made by a local gunsmith last august and since then had 3 mess ups and no good barrels. 1 he cut to short, 1 he ruined the extension I provided so he bought “correct” ones(they weren’t) and the last headspace was too short. So now I’m the guy in a rush like an asshole.

Is what it is though and all I can do is ask for some good luck and recommendations on good smiths.

Definitely not an ideal place to be but I’ve got two matches coming up that are weekenders and I’ve spent quite a bit on. Problem is I don’t have a rifle ready and my state now made em illegal so I can’t just go buy one. Whole hassle.

I sent in to have this barrel made by a local gunsmith last august and since then had 3 mess ups and no good barrels. 1 he cut to short, 1 he ruined the extension I provided so he bought “correct” ones(they weren’t) and the last headspace was too short. So now I’m the guy in a rush like an asshole.

Is what it is though and all I can do is ask for some good luck and recommendations on good smiths.
Damn! Yeah I wouldn’t use that smith ever again

The unwritten rule of machine shops: Your work can be done 1) Right, 2) Fast, 3) Cheap
Pick any two.

Reactions: Shane C.
Definitely not great. Oh and quoted 8-10 week lead time but we are now at 10 months.
I don’t typically shoot matches beyond fclass. But can understand the frustration of ordering a barrel well ahead of time then having to wait into match season for it. I’m fortunate enough to shoot for a team that keeps our blanks on hand and machines when needed. Typically trying different chamber/throats based on the latest brass/bullets that come out

For me personally I want quality as my top priority. Which means find a smith that are well known for putting out quality products. Then make the order well ahead of time.

Hi guys,

I have a small frame 308 gun right now.

I’m looking for a gunsmith to make two match barrels.
Contoured, fluted and custom extensions installed and headspace’s.

It requires a custom extension which I have 2 made and otherwise it’s ar-15 barrel.

So .810x16 tpi extension threading.
Same exact profile and in two calibers
6.5 creedmoor and .308.

I can buy barrel blanks, provide bolt, custom extensions and payment.

I can also provide a can model to contour off and flute off of if you would like.

Ideally I would like someone who can quickly turn it around as I have matches coming up.

If you’re interested, please message me. Or if you know someone please let me know.

I’ve called quite a few manufactures and they all suggested a smith, so I’m following up here to find someone.
Out of curiosity why the need for the special barrel extension. What are you running it on?

Small frame AR 308
Sfar by chance? But short turnaround is going to be tough outside of a local to your smith as the known go to's are full of guys looking for the same things. If you decide you can wait and just shoot a different class Craddock is hard to beat

Sfar by chance? But short turnaround is going to be tough outside of a local to your smith as the known go to's are full of guys looking for the same things. If you decide you can wait and just shoot a different class Craddock is hard to beat

It’s a POF rogue so basically the original Sfar 😂

Yeah I’m seeing guys backed up, it is what it is.

Ordered a barrel blank and going to take a shot at machining it myself.
while you do that send one to d. Wilson so you will have at least one properly working barrel if nothing else.

Im guessing doing it yourself is about your 5th or 6th option if you let some moron butcher 3 different ones before attempting this yourself - in which case - good luck but doesn't sound like a good idea.

while you do that send one to d. Wilson so you will have at least one properly working barrel if nothing else.

Im guessing doing it yourself is about your 5th or 6th option if you let some moron butcher 3 different ones before attempting this yourself - in which case - good luck but doesn't sound like a good idea.
Im guessing by his handle he might know his way around precision cutting machines better than most.

Sometimes the time/ cost trade off is why you have others do it. Since the other guy scrapped the barrel on "good", he has little "time", the "cost" of his own time becomes one of the only options left.

Im guessing by his handle he might know his way around precision cutting machines better than most.

Sometimes the time/ cost trade off is why you have others do it. Since the other guy scrapped the barrel on "good", he has little "time", the "cost" of his own time becomes one of the only options left.
I've got significantly more questions if he was capable of this work and let a bubba-smith jack this up 3 times and then came here asking for over night help instead of doing it.

Reactions: LeftyJason
I've got significantly more questions if he was capable of this work and let a bubba-smith jack this up 3 times and then came here asking for over night help instead of doing it.
Yeah same here. I looked into doing barrel work myself and determined I'd need a huge expensive lathe to keep tolerances.

Basically this.
I’m not set up to do barrels nor is it an ideal case for me.

But machining is machining and that I do well.
I own machines but am focused on other work that makes money.

I’m at a point where I need a barrel relatively quickly and I emailed or called all the people suggested on this list and quite a few more with the exception of d Wilson before purchasing a barrel blank.

With drawings available online as well as gauges fairly cheap, I’m confident I can make one. Will probably be double the time of someone who does them day in and day out. But it is what it is.

Also for the guy who took 3 shots, well I didn’t know he was taking 3 shots. He just told me it’s not ready yet and I found out when I went up there to see what was up.

He’s well known and well regarded around here as a gun smith.
He also does good work typically, I’ve seen it in person.
I think he just took on something that was outside of his typical bolt gun wheel house and honestly I appreciate that sometimes an oddball project doesn’t go well and he kept attempting to make it right.

He also offered to give me the barrel without paying once he got it squared away but I’m not that kind of guy. I appreciate the time he put in and paid regardless.

The overall problem was him committing to the infinite loop of “oh just a couple more weeks”. Not listening when I told him it was a custom extension and then he ordered random ones and they didn’t work.

I emailed him yesterday to ask for my extension back and he said he is going to bring a finished barrel with it to the match I’m going to Saturday.
So we’ll see, might end up having 2 barrels by next week.

If not, I’ll at least have the first I make.