• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for suggestion on a light weight minimal chassis

mioduz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2009
Sold my sig cross today. Looking to build something to replace it. Starting with a 700 sa. Can you suggest a light weight chassis to build on. Ideally have an light weight folding stock. Throw me your options. I haven't fully decided on what barrel options I will choose but I'm leaning toward something relatively useless like 12.5. No more than 16.5 at this time

Xlr magnesium is probably your best bet followed by the MDT HNT26.

Im on the lookout for a reletively light stock that can be weighed down a bit at the range, which is proving to be much harder.

Reactions: Baron23
Don't forget Black Collar Arms chassis.
About as light as it gets when it comes to a folding chassis

Leupold VX5HD 3-5x44 with the illuminated reticle. Leupold HD glass from my testing is excellent for low light. Can't go wrong.

Do you intend to hunt in the cold? I would NOT want to be using a metal rifle stock in cold weather... be like holding a piece of ice.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker
Below 30 degrees- Manners

Above 30 - XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium, Bartlein Carbon wrapped 18" and a T3X .

When everything MDT made was god awful looking, and not light weight, the XLR magnesium was the go-to. The HNT26 is where its at now imo. Lighter than the xlr and the pork sword (all three are within 3 oz of each other), and it’s sexy as fuck. The radiused flush fit polymer magazine is bitchin too. My only gripe is that it should fold right, not left, but the current buttstock shape wouldn’t allow that.

8 lbs 7 oz without the Harris. With a Defiance Anti, it would be 7 lbs 15 oz.
F1B240B5-923B-4D3B-9C2D-A352E43A3ED9.jpeg
8F144EF4-E11F-4F22-837D-A0A5367F0D78.jpeg
9E1F68AD-2EC4-442F-87B8-60CEE21D62C9.jpeg
0FA81E16-1384-46B2-AE7E-901662E2672D.jpeg

Grayboe also has a couple decent, more stock-ish options if you're not keen on spending $1500+. I think the Trek or Trekkor is like 23oz and the Phoenix (which looks more configurable) is like 32oz.

Is the MPA still lighter than the XLR if a guy had a full length Arca on the MPA?

Is the MPA still lighter than the XLR if a guy had a full length Arca on the MPA?
XLR aluminum chassis/TR2 stock, MPA is lighter but significantly more money.
Aluminum Chassis/carbon stock, XLR is lighter and cheaper.
Mg chassis/carbon stock, XLR is much lighter but more expensive.

Reactions: Huckmeat