• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking for suggestions on new gear....

shelpster66

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2010
The Gunshine State
Greetings everyone......within a week I will have my new rifle that I have been waiting on for about 4 months. Over this time period I have been reading and learning about what I will need and what I won't need to start my journey into Long Range Shooting. I won't lie and tell you I'm not super excited.....because I am.
Anyway....a few things I'm looking at getting.

1. Kestrel....I know I've read the some of the veteran shooters think it's a novelty item and not worth the money, However, I have no way of determining wind speed and direction at this point although I know in time I may be intuitive enough to judge this on my own......wind will be my enemy I'm sure. Looking at the 2000 series.

2. An new range bag....frankly, the one I have sucks and is falling apart. I have found one on CTD that has a lot of pockets and is padded. If there are any other suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them....looking to spend no more than say $75.

3. Shooting Mat...have seen a lot of posts on these and will end up getting one eventually. Not an immediate need at the moment though as I'll be shooting from a bench.

4. Ammo....(.308) now I may get flamed a bit for this, but I'm spending a lot of money on this rifle, and want to be sure I shoot good ammo. Most of what I have read recommends Federal Gold Match 168/175 gr or Black hills ammo. These are a bit more pricey than other brands, but I really want to shoot good ammo to give me any advantage I will need.....which will be a lot. Eventually I will reload, but first things first.

I have a data book and my Android has the ballistics app I bought from a member on this site.
Really looking forward to next weekend and getting started on the right foot.....any comments and other suggestions are welcome....rambling done.

Mike

Re: looking for suggestions on new gear....

I would look at any Kestrel that has the Density Altitude capability. It is not a must, but a valued feature.

As for ammo, Southwest Ammunition has proven itself to be good ammo at an affordable price.

Good luck.

I have a Kestrel 4500 which is a great solid piece of technology. That being said, it is in my pack most of the time unless the wind is really blowing over 20 mph. I get the temp out of my truck.

I have an Eagle range bag I bougth from LaRue it is pretty durable and has enough compartments for the range or even as a bug out.

The TAB shooting mat is great. Lightweight and the straps allow it to attach to molle webbing. It can be had from Rifles Only.

Check out Southwest Ammunition.

If you're on a budget then get the range bag and mat that Midwayusa.com puts their name on. Very good value for the money.

SWAmmo would be my choice for ammo simply because I'd prefer to reload the Win or Lapua brass they have then the Federal stuff.

Get into reloading sooner than later, it'll save you big bucks.

Buy a Chargemaster, Redding dies, RCBS Rockchucker and some Imperial case lube and you can be reloading in no time.

What Jason said.

Forget all that other crap. Start reloading now. You're wasting time and money if you don't.

Thanks to everyone that replied.....

I ended up getting that Midway Range bag. I looked at others that were very similar, but the video of the bag is what sold me. I like the fact it's big enough to hold all my gear.
I also called Southwest Ammunition and talked with Mike. After talking with him for a few minutes I decided to buy some ammo from him. Looks to be good stuff, so I'll give them a shot.

I also bought a Kestrel 2500......some of the other features that I need my watch can provide, so I think I'm good to go.

Now let's just hope the rifle gets here before the weekend!!!

As far a reloading, I've read a lot about this and will definately be going this route. I saw a Lee Handloading press kit that looks like it might be good to start with. Not going to go progressive yet. Keeping all my brass from SW too.

Mike