• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for the best budget optic for my sniper rifle

ueb_30

Private
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2020
TN
Hey guys! So ive just started getting into shooting. Im still not sure if I want to go with an FFP or SFP scope yet. Right now I am torn between the Athlon Argos and the Vortex. Is there a big difference between the 2? Any recommendations would be appreciated! My budget is around 1k but these seem like really good deals! Also, I have a Tikka T3X Tactical chambered in .308 winchester

Definitely go MIL/MIL, read up on FFP vs. SFP and get the one that fits your desired use, most here use FFP unless the use is hunting, then it’s mixed, consider saving a little more money and getting a used Athlon Gen II BTR or a used Vortex Razor HD on the exchange on this website, they come up for sale often in the $1200-$1500 range. Depending on your use and the range you are shooting, you can’t go wrong with a Super Sniper from SWFA; they are bulletproof, but have dated reticles.

what is wrong with MOA?
everything.

kidding aside

98% of people you will me at matches or at the range shooting precision rifles shoot mils. everyone will talk in mils, make corrections in mils etc

there are several reasons for this
more elevation adjustment in scope
base 10 is way easier (6.4 versus 23.75)
wind calls are easier

what is wrong with MOA?
Technically nothing.

It's an angular measurement just like milliradians and from the shooter's POV they are used the same way to describe and control trajectory.

Milliradians have some practical advantages:
  • It's more common than MOA in precision rifle shooting circles, so communicating with other shooters is much easier
  • There are some trajectory (drop and wind) rules of thumb that are very easy to remember and use with milliradians, not so easy with minutes of angle.

what is wrong with MOA?
There’s nothing wrong with MOA. Many of us still use MOA and have no issues. If you need just start a Mil vs MOA thread. Those are always jam packed with information posts 🤣

I’d take Athlon over Vortex. But wouldn’t buy either option you mentioned. Do some searching in the optics section here as Athlon and Vortex come up in many discussions

Go Mils if you plan to shoot prs and what not as mentioned above. If you plan to shoot fclass or something like that then go MOA. If it’s just you and your buddies shooting then get whatever they have already or convert them over to what you choose. Make calling corrections easier

check my math but isnt 120 moa around 36 mils or close to it?
yeah pretty close, within a mil or so

the big difference is what you get per rev. doesn't matter as much for most shooting, but ELR or 22lr when it's not uncommon to get past 20mil you're spinning a lot more

I don’t own any of the top tier optics that many others do. If I wasn’t a poor, I’d be clamoring for some of that $3k stuff. I’m also not a top tier shooter so take this with a grain of salt: there comes a point at which you will achieve diminishing returns. Glass that is “good enough” is good enough. Reticle choice is very subjective. The true grit of a scope is the internals. Knowing they’re robust and that they track like they’re supposed to is the main ingredient of a quality optic. I have an Athlon Ares ETR and am extremely pleased with it. At $1200ish, it checks all my boxes and will stay on top of one of my rigs til the end of time. YMMV

Reactions: Lefty1121
I actually had ordered the Athlon a few days ago. It just arrived! Looks great however not too fond of the "made in china" stamped on the bottom...I guess Ill use it to train on and save up for a Nightforce or a Steiner! i want something military grade!

Attachments

• 277227538_312555740976787_6089715561680723169_n.jpg
    277227538_312555740976787_6089715561680723169_n.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 95
I actually had ordered the Athlon a few days ago. It just arrived! Looks great however not too fond of the "made in china" stamped on the bottom...I guess Ill use it to train on and save up for a Nightforce or a Steiner! i want something military grade!
Although your approach to seeking advice and buying a scope based on said advice is a bit backwards that scope will likely hold you over non the less. Even the more expensive Athlon Ares ETR are made in China

If you want to save up for proven designs then look into

S&B
NF ATACR
NF NXS (bit outdated vs atacr)

Those are just a couple with good track records. Although most will point out you don’t “need” $3k + scopes in this day and age

Lowest I’d recommend would be made in Philippines (like burris XTRII) otherwise Japan or USA optics are good to go. German as well but if your looking into Steiner the M series is what I would be choosing over the T

Reactions: SmolPP
Although your approach to seeking advice and buying a scope based on said advice is a bit backwards that scope will likely hold you over non the less. Even the more expensive Athlon Ares ETR are made in China

If you want to save up for proven designs then look into

S&B
NF ATACR
NF NXS (bit outdated vs atacr)

Those are just a couple with good track records. Although most will point out you don’t “need” $3k + scopes in this day and age

Lowest I’d recommend would be made in Philippines (like burris XTRII) otherwise Japan or USA optics are good to go. German as well but if your looking into Steiner the M series is what I would be choosing over the T
Thanks for the feedback! Thoughts on this Steiner compared to that Burris?

The Burris has a reputation for tracking well. I’ve owned several of those. 1-8 (made at LOW) then the 3-15 and 4-20. The higher mag on the 4-20 suffers just a touch on 18-20. The 5-25’s are supposed to be worse. Just darker and what not. Still usable. But they do track and are reliable. Which for me trump best glass.

I’ve not used the Steiner but was looking at them before purchasing my first atacr. Was told be members who owned Steiner that the T had some tracking issues. The real deal ones are the M series. But someone more Steiner experienced can comment on those

Reactions: b6graham
I have the Steiner T5 and an M7. The M7 went back to Steiner for evaluation and they are replacing it with a new one. Its difficult to tell the difference in the T5 and the M7. Both have the same reticle and their respective optics quality is extremely close. Perhaps with the new M7 I will notice a greater difference. I like the turrets better on the T5.

those are all competition scopes, what you need is a sniper scope for your sniper rifle.

for when your reticle needs a reticle

those are all competition scopes, what you need is a sniper scope for your sniper rifle.

Unless your counter sniping 🤔
A3EE6544-9FE7-4DBF-AA11-DAB36A0A3D16.jpeg
CDD2DE5E-B135-4A9B-BCD4-A79505BA9DA7.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
I know its a bit late but just got paid. The Athlon glass is too cloudy once it goes out past 10x. Thoughts on this one? Is the 5-25 better than the 6-24x ? And is the gen ii really that much better than gen i ..sorry for all the questions

I know its a bit late but just got paid. The Athlon glass is too cloudy once it goes out past 10x. Thoughts on this one? Is the 5-25 better than the 6-24x ? And is the gen ii really that much better than gen i ..sorry for all the questions

Yes the PST Gen2 is much much better than the Gen1 and will be much better than the cheaper Athlon scopes.

For the price you can getfrom Euro Optic it's hard to go wrong with the PST Gen 2.

Reactions: montigre

That line of Steiners is made at Burris' facility in Greely, CO.

In case you don't know this, Burris and Steiner are both part of the Beretta Group and there is crossover in design, engineering, and manufacturing between the two divisions.

• Love
The Burris has a reputation for tracking well. I’ve owned several of those. 1-8 (made at LOW) then the 3-15 and 4-20. The higher mag on the 4-20 suffers just a touch on 18-20. The 5-25’s are supposed to be worse. Just darker and what not. Still usable. But they do track and are reliable. Which for me trump best glass.

I’ve not used the Steiner but was looking at them before purchasing my first atacr. Was told be members who owned Steiner that the T had some tracking issues. The real deal ones are the M series. But someone more Steiner experienced can comment on those

The T series tracking issues were solved years ago.

Reactions: hafejd30
  • Love
Reactions: 2aBaC̶a̶

While I haven't shot the Burris, I really like my T5xi-5-25x56. It has pretty good glass and very tactile adjustments.
I got mine back in '18 (I think) and I'm sure that the price was much less than what it would go for right now. It's a great optic.
It's not Nightforce ATACR nice, but still nice nonetheless.

I ordered an optika6 3-18x56 rd mrad from sportsman's warehouse last weekend for $399. (Should be delivered to me tomorrow). They are out of stock online but look like they still have some in store if you are lucky enough to live close by.

It's hard to imagine a better deal than that!!!

• Wow
Reactions: Dot3 and 308pirate
I ordered an optika6 3-18x56 rd mrad from sportsman's warehouse last weekend for $399. (Should be delivered to me tomorrow). They are out of stock online but look like they still have some in store if you are lucky enough to live close by.

It's hard to imagine a better deal than that!!!
would this one be a good buy?

is vortex milspec? I see some of the guys fighting in ukraine are using it
Don't worry about something being Mil Spec, it means absolutely nothing in any context for civilian shooters.

Since you are new to the game just buy this Vortex, to get you started.

Then you can spend the next 25 years learning/arguing about the nuisances of the sport. As someone who didn't start off going down the easy road, this is the advice I'd give to my former self.

Don't worry about something being Mil Spec, it means absolutely nothing in any context for civilian shooters.

Since you are new to the game just buy this Vortex, to get you started.

Then you can spend the next 25 years learning/arguing about the nuisances of the sport. As someone who didn't start off going down the easy road, this is the advice I'd give to my former self.
Just bought this one! Only difference is the 2D has a closed reticle

Hey guys! So ive just started getting into shooting. Im still not sure if I want to go with an FFP or SFP scope yet. Right now I am torn between the Athlon Argos and the Vortex. Is there a big difference between the 2? Any recommendations would be appreciated! My budget is around 1k but these seem like really good deals! Also, I have a Tikka T3X Tactical chambered in .308 winchester

Hey man you still in the market for one of these optics?