• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Looking for the Unicorn

wapiti16b

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2014
New Mexico
OK, I'm a FN idiot!. I have a dilemma, the cartridge I'm shooting out of my FN SA has a coal of 3.0"s and works great out of the modified floor plate system along with the modified bolt stop but only allows top feeding of rounds! and now comes the Unicorn!.
Who? if anyone makes TBM and magazines capable of reliable feeding of 3.00" cartridges in a FN/WIN SA receiver?.
If nobody currently does what modifications would be needed to my FNH TBM & magazines?
Is their a chassis that would fit my needs?

Thanks !

I'm looking for mag fed options for my 7SAW II chambered FN PBR. The rifle currently uses FN hinged floor plate BM and WTO removed the spacer plate from the mag well and profiled the bolt stop at my request, it works flawlessly and if it is what it is I will be happy, however a ten round mag option would be nice!. My current load is for the Berger 175s and they coal @ 3.00's, I could and would go with 162/168 projectiles and probably be within 2.970's or less and be perfectly happy, I'm just looking for options!

I have a machinist friend who said he will take a look at my spare FNH TBM & Mags to see what the most prudent cost effective solution would be?. I'm no expert by any means but my first thoughts were to machine the TBM and fabricate new magazines to reach my goals if possible?

I could have gone with another receiver/mag combo but as stated I am a FN Idiot!

I'm looking for mag fed options for my 7SAW II chambered FN PBR. The rifle currently uses FN hinged floor plate BM and WTO removed the spacer plate from the mag well and profiled the bolt stop at my request, it works flawlessly and if it is what it is I will be happy, however a ten round mag option would be nice!. My current load is for the Berger 175s and they coal @ 3.00's, I could and would go with 162/168 projectiles and probably be within 2.970's or less and be perfectly happy, I'm just looking for options!

I have a machinist friend who said he will take a look at my spare FNH TBM & Mags to see what the most prudent cost effective solution would be?. I'm no expert by any means but my first thoughts were to machine the TBM and fabricate new magazines to reach my goals if possible?

I could have gone with another receiver/mag combo but as stated I am a FN Idiot!
My SAWII is 2.95 or less with 162 and 180 class and is just fine. Normal aics mags

What receiver/action are you using and what aics mag manufacturer, I'm looking at the MDT mag w/o spacer as a alternative.
What is your cbto for the 180s? and what powder/bullet/primer along with velocity?
Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

FNs are a great action, I'm a total Winchester 70 guy so I know exactly what you're feeling. CDI was doing the most modifications and fitting but the owner died and I've no idea what's happened since. You might reach out to them and see what possibilities there are. Wyatt bottom metal is probably the only other option, I guess there is a chance PTG could have something as well. The hunting forums might have more info but I've all but given up on being able to use a Mod70 for this game, the OEM support just isn't there.

Bighorn actions
Accurate without binder plate
2.95 coal
H4350 like 42ish grains and 2750ish

I've been shooting 162 eldms though. I havent played with the 180s since I got the new Redding dies

I'm shooting Berger 175 elites but only jumping .0015. After taking measurements of the PBR receiver I think as posted earlier it's a no go, 2.970ish may be doable with different BM Mag and jumping more. On the other hand a new build for steel might be in my future!
Anybody know the COAL of WTOs 25 SAW?, if less than 2.870ish a re-barrel of my other SPR may see Clayton soon!

I'm shooting Berger 175 elites but only jumping .0015. After taking measurements of the PBR receiver I think as posted earlier it's a no go, 2.970ish may be doable with different BM Mag and jumping more. On the other hand a new build for steel might be in my future!
Anybody know the COAL of WTOs 25 SAW?, if less than 2.870ish a re-barrel of my other SPR may see Clayton soon!
i'd guess the 25SAW doesnt make that coal unless you run a really short freebore. those 131 BJs are loong