• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

looking for thoughts on 5.56 bolt group

weberj62

Sgt/K9
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
IL
hey i am buliding an ar. i am looking for a bolt group just wonderif anyone had a though on were i could pick a good one up. fairly cheap.

Re: looking for thoughts on 5.56 bolt group

Any CMT made bolt will be great. CMT is stags sister/parent company. They actually make most of the m16 BCG out there, and a good portion of the AR15 BCG as well. Some very "famous" companies use CMT parts and just mark up the price big time.

You got three equal options imho, these three are the only ones I would put in a hard use, or non range toy type build/AR.

Colt's are just now really becoming avail for individual purchase but remain the most expensive. They are however the one in which the two others perfectly copied for whatever that may be worth.

The BCM is second most expensive...anybody talks smack about one of these, then they also lick the windows on the short bus:)

LMT is the cheapest in cost of the three but by most accounts has a slightly stronger and better designed bolt by a few little changes they incorporated on their bolts. LMT also makes the enhanced bolt that is far superior in strength to a traditional bolt and they are essentially just like KAC's new E3 bolt. Those bolts extra strength, design, and cost is simply not needed when the above three maintain flawless operation for thousands of rds imo.

16lwp5w.jpg

2cqmgp0.jpg

BCM, Colt, LMT, or Daniel Defense. Surprised no one mentioned Daniel Defense.

As to the CMT makes everyones parts claim. They don't make everyones parts. Even is they supply companies like BCM they do not quality control like BCM does and they batch test rather than individually test. QC and individually testing costs more.

I agree with most of the comments. My first choices would be BCM, LMT, Colt and DD but there are several MP tested bolts that should work. I have personal experience with BCM, LMT and Colt. I know several people who run DD's and are happy.

I have heard great things about fail zero, but have never tried one personally. One of their reps at SHOT claimed to have put 60K rounds through his personal rifle with one of their BCG's without any lube and still hadn't experienced any failures. Take that with a grain of salt, but there are a lot of others saying good things about them as well. Since you mentioned "fairly cheap", fail zero may be out of the question.

trident1982- thanks for the pics

I just picked up a couple of PSA premium BCGs to upgrade my 15 year old Bushmaster uppers from semi-auto to full auto bolt carriers. The quality looks great with a smoother finish (seems to hold lubricant better than the BM finish) than the Bushmasters, and I like the fully shrouded firing pins (which is the main reason I upgraded from the Bushmaster semi-auto BCGs).

Bolts are made from Carpenter 158 steel (the stuff that Sellers are claming is better), shot peened, and MP marked. Only $99 each ($10 off when I bought them). Black insert on the extractors, and no o-ring (the way I want them).

Free shipping on orders over $190 (I bought 2).

And the another reason to go PSA? They have/had them in stock, no BS waiting period.

I run LMT or DD in my guns. Run youngs national match in one of my long range rigs as well and its a tight fit that needs to be broken in for sure.

Pat

Those Spikes look nice. I would be interested in trying one out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BCP</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And what benefits are those? </div></div>

They advertise that the EXO coating that FZ uses requires little or no lube. There are a lot of people who attest to that, but I would like to run one for a while myself.

I own both LMT and BCM, never had a problem with either.

As for the LMT enhanced bolt, it is pretty, but unnecessary. I tried to order one from LMT and they talked me out of it. They explained it was absolutely a waste of money on a standard setup.

The benefits would be ease in cleaning,the nickel boron coating requires no lubrication. I've run my own person comparison of a standard BCG and the spikes with significant findings to base my conclusion.
This comparison was done on two rifles with the same build specs other than bcg.
My results were the standard bcg started to have failures after 1500-2000 rounds without cleaning.
On the rifle with spikes NIB BCG there was less noteable build up in general and no failures.
In order to confirm this conclusion the same test was run multiple times for consistency.
Friction and lubrication with all moving parts and imho the NIB does its job in reducing that.

I'm not going to debate this or turn it to a pissing match.
In other unrelated posts its been called "snake oil".
Take it for what its worth there is merrit and isnt just the flavor of the month.

I'd actually be inclined to believe the enhanced version and chrome plated bcgs like young's can run longer without cleaning.

Personally I clean every 300-500 rounds anyhow just for fun so it would never matter to me from a civilian standpoint.

I'd personally rather have two bcgs instead of a chrome or enhanced.

To each his own.