• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Looking for used barrels

z28kid

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2012
Middle TN
I'm looking for spent barrels that I can use for playing on my new lathe.
I'm not looking for barrels that still have any value, just something I can get for a good price.
Let me know what you have and thank you.

When I got my first lathe I broke a lot of stuff learning. You can use PVC to learn with very little risk of hurting anything. It is cheap to go to a metal supply and buy metal by weight to practice with.

Sorry but I do not have any barrels for you.

Yeah, I have some conduit left over from wiring up the machines that I have played with.
I also have some unknown steel that I cut on yesterday and it was tough and gummy. I thought it was cold rolled but I think I was wrong, was super tough to tap too. Not at all like the stainless barrel I was cutting on.

Thanks for the reply, hope everyone has a good Memorial Day weekend.

Reactions: BlastersAreCool
303/304 is gummy. Gun barrels are typically 416 which machines a lot easier.

What tooling are you using? I mostly use tools with inserts but Harbor freight sells carbide tooling that is great for the money. I use them to make custom shaped tooling.

I have a Bartlien 6creed bbl for a Surgeon that was chambered by GAP that is toast. PM me if interested.

303/304 is gummy. Gun barrels are typically 416 which machines a lot easier.

What tooling are you using? I mostly use tools with inserts but Harbor freight sells carbide tooling that is great for the money. I use them to make custom shaped tooling.

I have cut on 300 series stainless before and it is a bear, but this tough stuff wasnt stainless tho.
All of my tooling is indexable carbide with the exception of my parting tool. I cut these 5/8-24 threads yesterday afternoon.

Thanks, TJ
20190526_142128.jpg

Reactions: Balor
Where you located? I’ve got several burned up barrels taking up shelf space