• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Looking for wood hunting stockmaker

Slick66

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2008
Cumming, Georgia, USA
Hi!

Some years ago I managed to get a hold of what seems to be a nicely sporterized 1903, polished and blued, Douglas 30-06 barrel, Timney trigger, period Redfield scope, etc. The stock was damaged in transit, right at the wrist/pistol grip. I sent the gun to some folks who repaired wooden stocks, and they declined the job, saying the stock was not inletted correctly and would not be safe to fire. I am not sure if they meant after their repairs or as made. I have never shot it.

So, I am looking for someone who could make a new stock for it, classic American hunting stock. I would like walnut, not birch, maple or laminated wood, but nothing exhibition grade. Something along the lines of a pre-64 Win 70 standard grade. Perhaps also a grip cap, ebony foreend tip, basic right-handed cheekpiece, and basic checkering.

I got a settlement from Fedex, so I am not into this for a great deal of money. I realize skilled stockmakers probably don't want to waste their time on standard grade work, but I would just like something nicely done that I can finally take out and shoot.

My Google searches for this type of thing never seem to find reputable, quality service providers, and so I am asking for your help in finding someone who might be willing to do this for a reasonable sum. Or, if there is a quality production stockmaker who sells semi-inletted stocks that could be finished by someone competent (not me), any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks! I have attached a pic to give a sense of what I'm dealing with.
1903-1-jpg.7677113

Attachments

• 1903-1.jpg
    1903-1.jpg
    458.8 KB · Views: 501
Forget reasonable sum. Stock makers are through the roof. Forget service. They quote years and fail to make that modest goal.

I am not kidding when I say you should sell it, give it away or throw it away. You are looking at a 5000.00 5 year project which will not be worth a cent more than it is today.

I will get flamed but that is the reality of it.

I contacted a stockmaker about a month ago to restock a pre 64 model 70. I was quoted $4,500 not including the wood blank(another $1,000+) and 2 year completion time.

Reactions: Slick66
Boyd’s has finished stocks for most rifles. Check whether it’s the 1903 or 1903A3, but you can get decent walnut if you so choose:

I got a Marlin 336 stock from them in the XX walnut, and it came within a couple weeks.

Btw… after doing most of the fitting, etc, pay a gunsmith to do checkering… fit butt plate if needed… grip cap…

A stock from a blank is crazy expensive to have done.

But buying a nice 98 percent Inletted stock like a Fajen or Boyd’s above, can be very reasonable. And gorgeous. And you can involve the smith for detail stuff for far less.

Very nice looking project!

Sirhr

What a shame, I love a sporterized 03. Boyds would be your best bet for something in a timely manner. The stock would probably need some light inlet work and definitely bedded.

Btw… after doing most of the fitting, etc, pay a gunsmith to do checkering… fit butt plate if needed… grip cap…

A stock from a blank is crazy expensive to have done.

But buying a nice 98 percent Inletted stock like a Fajen or Boyd’s above, can be very reasonable. And gorgeous. And you can involve the smith for detail stuff for far less.

Very nice looking project!

Sirhr
Fajen...went out of business in the last century. :)
1627875702906.png

Wenig.com sells machine inletted (rough inlet) unfinished stocks if you are looking for less expensive plus a bit of DIY

Macon Gunstocks may be able to help you. I’m going to be taking them some materials to make a few stocks for me soon. It’ll start around $350 and go up from there. Give them a call, they should be able to take care of it.