• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Looking into Sitka Gear

dcwillro

Private
Minuteman
Apr 11, 2018
I am in need of some new camo. I've been looking into some Sitka stuff and would like to know what y'all think. I'll primarily use it for sitting in a tree stand hunting whitetails, but also for December New Mexico elk hunts. I looked at the Sitka Fanatic Jacket in Cabela's and I think I would like it, but for $400 I'd like to get some other opinions first. I'm only looking for a good jacket and pants. Preferably matching color schemes.

I also have looked into the Browning Hell's Canyon Speed Hellfire Jacket and Pants, and other than having an unnecessarily long name, I like them. But I've never seen them in person and I haven't found nearly as much feedback on them.

I gave Kryptek and Kuiu a quick glance, but for no reason other than that I don't like their patterns, I am not as interested in them. But if they are really the bee's knees I could be convinced to take another look.

Thanks for your help!

I'm sure Sitka is great, but the Kuiu attack pants are by far the best pants I own. Breathable, rugged and comfortable. They'll be tough to beat by any brand

KUIU hands down. Overkill for tree stand sitting but perfect for elk hunting. It's all I own after owning everything else.

Well, it seems like I'll have to give KUIU a more serious investigation. Thanks for both of your replies!

Been elk hunting in NM wearing Sitka gear for over ten years. Good gear for active hunts where you are doing a lot of humping and the rain gear works well. Lightweight and packable. My favorite Sitka products are the Jetstream jacket and vest. For sitting in a blind during cold weather probably better options.

From my personal experince I prefer Sitka far above KUIU. i feel that the quality i get for what i am paying is far above with sitka. That goes for the insulation/jackets. With regards to base layers i prefer firstlite though and especially thier neck gators. My sitka has lasted me 5 years and are still going strong. I cant say that with regards to KUIU.

I buy comfortable, breathable, rugged, water resistant/proof gear. I quit paying attention to camo patterns quite awhile ago. In fact much of what I hunt in isn't camo at all. Of course I am not a big whitetail hunter, and perhaps it makes a difference there...

Personally I dont think sitka is worth its cost. But I do appreciate their wide range of sizes.

I have Kuiu and am impressed with their quality / price ratio

This always comes to the Ford Vs Chevy argument with biases; who makes the best clothing. I have worn quite a few some great, some good, some not so good.

Me, all about performance of the fabrics is #1 and then design.

I suggest mountaineering clothing, this is where all these hunting clothing manufactures got their ideas on hunting clothing and added a camo pattern. I prefer WildThings and to me, there is no comparison to them, period. I also like Patagonia and Black Diamond, the same company sort of. Like someone else, to me camo has no real edge in hunting especially when hunters have to wear % of hunter orange over camo. To me, animals detect movement, camo or not.

I prefer Schoeller fabrics and Primaloft with Madlen mills Polartech #2.

I appreciate the replies everybody. I'm sorry I couldn't get back on to respond sooner.

After getting to check out the Kuiu and Sitka stuff in person a little more, it's clear they are both top notch clothing. The Sitka just feels better to me. Granted, I came to that conclusion with precisely zero actual outdoor experience. I think I'm going to wait till it's a little closer to season so more stores will have stuff in stock. And I'd still like to learn some more about the Hell's canyon speed.

Also, don't get me wrong, I have no delusions that the Kuiu and Kryptek patterns are somehow inferior to any others, as far as hunting situations go. I just personally do not like the way they look. It's hard to spend money on stuff you don't like the look of, you know?

Besides, I need to look pretty dapper when sitting in a tree alone.

Reactions: linsmea
I will only wear wool when temps drop below 35 degrees, to me there is nothing better! And you don't have to go super expensive, Columbia Gallitan wool is great.

I wouldn't be loyal to one brand if you have no reason to be. I don't really have an affinity for camp and wear all solids in earth tones....and I primarily archery hunt.

Merino wool shirts - first lite. I've tried kuiu, smartwool, and Sitka... First lite is the best. Most durable, dries the fastest, doesn't pill.

Pants -
Early season - outdoor Research ferrosi (one of the best breathable pants ever made in my opinion.). I also have a couple pairs of prana stretch Zions... Just a touch thicker than the ferrosi and more of a boot cut. Both are my go tos for August and warm weather September.

Mid season - kuiu attack. The first lite obsidians are on my list to try though.

Late season - Sitka timberline waterproof butt and knees.

Rain gear - Arcteryx. It's the best.

Puffy - I lean towards the kuiu Kenai jackets because they're quiet for archery and they breathe better than any puffy I've ever worn...and I've tried a few.

Fleece - arcteryx delta lt, our door research, first lite Halstead, Sitka core series... They're all good just depends on how warm you need em to be.